Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is Nobody Talking About Arman Shields?

Going Commando

I'm completely perplexed as to why almost none of the legions of sports media at the NFL combine are not talking about what an incredible combine Arman Shields just had.

Some background on Arman: He is a 6'1 wide receiver prospect from Washington D.C. that goes to college at the University of Richmond with me. He is an outstanding player, he was very productive in his career before he got hurt for all but one game of his senior season. But almost as importantly, his performance at the combine showed that he is an incredible athlete easily on par with any of the rest of the receivers who worked out. No other receiver managed to finish in the top 7 of every single category of work outs nfl.com lists. As I posted in another thread, his performance in these work outs saw him finish:

7th among wr's in the 40: 4.44 seconds

T 7th in the bench press: 19 reps

T 2nd in the vertical jump: 37.5 inches

2nd in the broad jump: 10'8"

2nd in the 3 cone drill: 6.67 seconds

1st in the 20 yard shuttle: 3.96 seconds

1st in the 60 yard shuttle: 10.87 seconds

Arman had arguably the best performance of any receiver at the combine with only Keenan Burton and Eddie Royal beginning to approach him in the level of success they achieved against the competition--Yet no one has written anything about him despite there being reportedly over 400 different media personnel at the combine. Todd McShay at ESPN is the exception, he wrote a small paragraph about him. But McShay is a Richmond Alumnus so I would never have forgiven him if he hadn't mentioned Arman.

Arman is a good guy and is very bright--Richmond is a tough school. His injury this past year was unfortunate, but I have seen how good of a player he is over the past three seasons. He and Tim Hightower were almost always the best players on the field every game. Plus, I don't think that he has the ego and personal character problems that some of these other diva receivers from big schools have. Add to that the fact that he is just as good of an athlete as they are anyway. I think Arman will be a successful NFL player and a gem for the team that drafts him.

Because he is a nobody and I've never heard of him before. It's not like Richmond ever plays a team with NFL quality talent. Hes probably playing against a bunch of scrubs. Once he starts proving himself in the league then I will know the name..............

Saying the CAA is a bunch of scrubs is not accurate. Is it the SEC, no, but look at some of the other great players who have come out of CAA (A-10 schools). I'm sure im missing plenty - Joe Flacco (this year), Bryan Westbrook, Shawn Barber, Howie Long, Rich Gannon... I could go on and on. And I wouldn't say Vandy is a joke either.

I am not saying Shields will be a 1000yd receiver one day, but if there is any position in football in which there are plenty stars from no-name schools, it is WR. I think he is definitely worth a 2nd day look and if he doesn't get drafted, we should sign him right away, just like we did with Marcus Mason.

Because he is a nobody and I've never heard of him before. It's not like Richmond ever plays a team with NFL quality talent. Hes probably playing against a bunch of scrubs. Once he starts proving himself in the league then I will know the name..............

But he played Division 1 SEC Vanderbilt! :excited: AND Duke! :excited:

Its not like Limas Sweed is much better than him.

How can he prove his name in the league when nobody wants to give him a shot becuase he's a nobody.

Combine just isn't that important. Robert Gallery did great at the combine. You have to see how a guy performed at every level and against what level of competition.

Uh, Robert Gallery dominated his whole college career. He was projected to go early first before the combine. Bad example. Plus he's on the Raiders, so you don't really know how good he is.

But it is what it is.

Insightful. How did this expression get off the ground? It is the epitome of redundancy, and it is also dismissive and borderline insulting. Stop saying it! It's like telling someone "the time is now" if they ask you what time it is. And Limas Sweed is not that much better than this kid, especially at their respective cost.

Insightful. How did this expression get off the ground? It is the epitome of redundancy, and it is also dismissive and borderline insulting. Stop saying it! It's like telling someone "the time is now" if they ask you what time it is. And Limas Sweed is not that much better than this kid, especially at their respective cost.

I'll say what I want, without caring if it annoys you or not. How's that for dismissive?

Their respective cost means nothing really. One will have a much better chance to be what the Redskins would need than the other, because he has better tools at his disposal in which to do it.

Think Arman Shields has a better chance than Sweed to become a starter opposite Moss? Think he could do the job and allow Randel El to be our slot WR? Is he the big target possession wide out that we are looking for?

In my opinion, he's not even close or in the neighborhood.

Saying the CAA is a bunch of scrubs is not accurate. Is it the SEC, no, but look at some of the other great players who have come out of CAA (A-10 schools). I'm sure im missing plenty - Joe Flacco (this year), Bryan Westbrook, Shawn Barber, Howie Long, Rich Gannon... I could go on and on. And I wouldn't say Vandy is a joke either.

I am not saying Shields will be a 1000yd receiver one day, but if there is any position in football in which there are plenty stars from no-name schools, it is WR. I think he is definitely worth a 2nd day look and if he doesn't get drafted, we should sign him right away, just like we did with Marcus Mason.

It's a very small percentage my friend. I would say the number of SEC players in April's draft will equal the number of players EVER drafted from the CAA. That makes it a scrub league. If you are a fan of it I understand your bias toward reality............

Limas Sweed is significantly better than Sheilds. Sheilds played well against horrendous opponents. Sweed played at Texas, and had excellent results. Have you seen him play? He's doing what Sheilds was doing against better opponents.

Really? The CAA as a legitimate source of football talent? Whatever you are smoking, pass it my way.

Howie Long long played at Nova (in Philly, not the local CC) in the LATE 70s AND EARLY 80s! How is that at all relevant to today? Jerry Rice played at Mississippi Valley State University, does that mean we should start sending scouts to Itta Bena, MS to keep an eye out for talent?

I went to and played at a Division III college. So did London Fletcher. Does that mean that DIII schools are suddenly sources of linebackers with NFL ability?

There is a reason Arman Shields is only being talked about by homers who are obsessed with their own schools. He is from a small football school that rarely produces NFL talent that plays in a conference that does more of the same.

The CAA is not the SEC. Or the BigTen. Or the WAC. Or even the C-USA. It is a Division IAA conference. Best of luck to Mr. Shields.

I'll say what I want, without caring if it annoys you or not. How's that for dismissive?

Their respective cost means nothing really. One will have a much better chance to be what the Redskins would need than the other, because he has better tools at his disposal in which to do it.

Think Arman Shields has a better chance than Sweed to become a starter opposite Moss? Think he could do the job and allow Randel El to be our slot WR? Is he the big target possession wide out that we are looking for?

In my opinion, he's not even close or in the neighborhood.

No **** Limas Sweed is a better prospect. It doesn't take a draft guru to figure that one out. But I don't know why people would dismiss this guy as a potential pick just because there is a better prospect out there who will probably go well before #21. And yes I do think Shields could eventually start opposite Moss just as easily as the limp-wristed Texan.

And yes you can say whatever you want, and I can say that it sounds ignorant all I want. It was what it was. It has been what it has been. It will be what it will be. Man Im smart.

I went to and played at a Division III college. So did London Fletcher. Does that mean that DIII schools are suddenly sources of linebackers with NFL ability?

No, but it does mean you shouldn't dismiss a prospect just because they played for a small school. You proved the argument to your point.

No **** Limas Sweed is a better prospect. It doesn't take a draft guru to figure that one out. But I don't know why people would dismiss this guy as a potential pick just because there is a better prospect out there who will probably go well before #21. And yes I do think Shields could eventually start opposite Moss just as easily as the limp-wristed Texan.

And yes you can say whatever you want, and I can say that it sounds ignorant all I want. It was what it was. It has been what it has been. It will be what it will be. Man Im smart.

Wow, someome who's smart that likes to contradict themselves. You say that Sweed is the better prospect initially like it's a no brainer and then go on to say that Shields would eventually fill the spot just as well. Which one is it? If you agree with me that Sweed is the better prospect, then do me a favor and don't get in the way of me arguing with someone who thinks that Shields is as good as Sweed. You're wasting my time.

As far as the other crap that you bring up. I made several other statements that led to the "it is what it is" comment in the post you responded to. You chose to respond to a small fraction of what I said. Maybe it's a pet peeve of yours. I don't really care. So move on.

No, but it does mean you shouldn't dismiss a prospect just because they played for a small school. You proved the argument to your point.

I don't see anywhere in his statement where he dismissed Mr. Shields. He is simply stating that he went to a small school with no real NFL quality competition and that's why no one is talking about him.............

Wow, someome who's smart that likes to contradict themselves. You say that Sweed is the better prospect initially like it's a no brainer and then go on to say that Shields would eventually fill the spot just as well. Which one is it? If you agree with me that Sweed is the better prospect, then do me a favor and don't get in the way of me arguing with someone who thinks that Shields is as good as Sweed. You're wasting my time.

As far as the other crap that you bring up. I made several other statements that led to the "it is what it is" comment in the post you responded to. You chose to respond to a small fraction of what I said. Maybe it's a pet peeve of yours. I don't really care. So move on.

Just because Shields isn't as good as Sweed right now doesn't mean that he couldn't eventually start opposite Moss and be just as productive with a far smaller contract. im not contradicting myself at all, Im just saying that it is stupid to dismiss this guy as a prospect just because you think someone else is better. No, he isn't the best WR in the draft, but he has potential that shouldn't be overlooked.

The question was "Why is nobody talking about Arman Shields?" He went to a small, non Division I school and NFL talent rarely comes out of there. People are not talking about these players before the combine and probably never will be. There is no such thing as a "highly touted" DIAA, DII, or DIII player. Those players get talked about once they get to the League and start producing, not when they're making plays over JMU and Hofstra.

I think people are missing the point of this thread. No one is saying Arman Shields is better than Limas Sweed and should be our pick at #21.

It's saying, hey, check this kid out from a small time school. He did great at the combine and is completely under the radar. He's a local kid who went to Gonzaga and would probably love to play for the Skins. On top of that, he could be available past the 4th round. So since we have holes to fill in the line-up, maybe we could put off taking a WR until later in the draft and focus on the offensive and defensive lines first, because there is still talent to be had later in the draft.

Is Limas Sweed better? Yeah, I'd say so, but if you look at the economics of the situation, comparing possible production, you could have a guy making a couple million to have 750 yds and 6 TDs or you could have a guy making a couple hundred thousand to have 500 yds and 3 TDs. That's what people mean when they talk about sacrificing the big name, early round guy for the lesser known, late round project players.

This thread is just pointing out how there are other options outside of Ocho Cinco and a 1st round WR.

Just because Shields isn't as good as Sweed right now doesn't mean that he couldn't eventually start opposite Moss and be just as productive with a far smaller contract. im not contradicting myself at all, Im just saying that it is stupid to dismiss this guy as a prospect just because you think someone else is better. No, he isn't the best WR in the draft, but he has potential that shouldn't be overlooked.

I'm not saying overlook him as a prospect or dismiss him as a pick, I covered that in a previous post. If we needed a project player that we could develop over a few years, sit on the practice squad and maybe play some special teams and work his way up... Shields would be a nice late round pick for exactly that purpose. He's a guy you take a late round flyer on and say, ok... let's see what happens. But in my opinion this guy would have his hands full even beating Mike Espy out of a spot on the practice squad.

If we want a guy who could come in and almost immediately fill our need as a possession wide out in addition to being a long term solution, Shields is not that pick and doesn't come anywhere close to being that kind of pick. Limas Sweed, James Hardy and Malcolm Kelly are guys who fit the bill of what Jim Zorn said he's looking for in a wide out this offseason.

They should add this drill to the combine to check for gametime skill. Take an average CB from the NFL and have the recievers run routes against him and see how they do. Then get an average reciever from the NFL and have the CB's try to cover him. If you use the same NFL players for everyone then they are all being measured at the same level.

Archived