Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is Nobody Talking About Arman Shields?

Going Commando

I beg to defer. Did you see the man highlight reel. He is a serious West Coast offense threat.

not saying this arman guy is good or that he sucks, but if youre using the highlight reel as your only defense or that you played with him in high school. we're going to need more than that here.

given time, anyone can put together a highlight reel that makes them look amazing. so its not about the highlight reels only. its about the stats, production, competition.

not saying this arman guy is good or that he sucks, but if youre using the highlight reel as your only defense or that you played with him in high school. we're going to need more than that here.

given time, anyone can put together a highlight reel that makes them look amazing. so its not about the highlight reels only. its about the stats, production, competition.

Thats not my only defense. Im just saying give the guy a shot and he want cost alot of many or a big draft pick or anything like that. He would be a solid special teams player for us if not a decent wide reciever.

You dont know that. Sweed has a better team and program Arman had. If Arman played a texas man he would a top 3 wr prospect i bet.

There's nothing that you could provide that would substanciate what you just said. I think he wasn't good enough to get into a better school otherwise he would have been in a school like Texas. Sometimes small school prospects make it in the NFL but don't hold your breath.

I'd take Sweed over this guy without blinking an eye or second thought.

There's nothing that you could provide that would substanciate what you just said. I think he wasn't good enough to get into a better school otherwise he would have been in a school like Texas. Sometimes small school prospects make it in the NFL but don't hold your breath.

I'd take Sweed over this guy without blinking an eye or second thought.

Thats not true. You can be a beast in high school but if your team sucks you most likey will be going to a small college. The best thing you can hope for is to go to a HBCU and beast out if you not on a wining program at high school.

99 times out of 100, college recruiters will aquire the best possible talent for their program. Some slip through the cracks but the success stories are few and far between.

I'll stand by my opinion that Sweed will be a much better pro than this guy. There's nothing in his highlights that would sway me from that opinion.

99 times out of 100, college recruiters will aquire the best possible talent for their program. Some slip through the cracks but the success stories are few and far between.

I'll stand by my opinion that Sweed will be a much better pro than this guy. There's nothing in his highlights that would sway me from that opinion.

Its so sad that a skins fans will side wit somebody he dont even know over another qaulified skins fan. Thats why we have alot of players here now the quit on games. Arman is not one of them. He gives everything he's got for 60 minutes and then some. I dont think sweed will give the same effort. All he's worried about is riding home in his Mercedes Benz after the game. He's not going to be hungry.

Well you've informed us. That's part of the reason this message board exists. Don't worry about the media too much, they'll report on what they want to report on.:2cents:

Yes indeed. The media licks IMO.

Shields will get drafted with the combine numbers he put up.

My bet is that he will go in the 5th round.:point2sky :cheers: :dallasuck

Its so sad that a skins fans will side wit somebody he dont even know over another qaulified skins fan. Thats why we have alot of players here now the quit on games. Arman is not one of them. He gives everything he's got for 60 minutes and then some. I dont think sweed will give the same effort. All he's worried about is riding home in his Mercedes Benz after the game. He's not going to be hungry.

Please. We picked up a CB from Arizona that was a Skins fan. He took a pay cut to come here. What's his name and what did he do for our team?

Arman will go in the late rounds probably because his pure athleticism is NFL quality. As to his skills as a player, he is very good but he's played in offenses that don't feature him. I don't know for sure, but it looks like coming out of high school he didn't have huge numbers which would explain why he wasn't as heavily recruited by bigger programs. The most successful Division I-AA programs usually have to settle for finding the excellent athletes and players, who for some reason, slipped through the cracks. Richmond's former coach Dave Clawson was a brilliant recruiter and master of doing just this. He turned Richmond's football program around from being a perennial cupcake into one of the best I-AA programs in the country largely by signing recruits like Arman.

As to Richmond's offense, it is very run heavy, so its wideouts don't get too many opportunities. Richmond's QB Eric Ward, and top two Runningbacks Tim Hightower (also an excellent pro prospect) and Josh Vaughn got the most opportunities as Richmond ran the ball roughly 61% of the time. Throughout Arman's career here, Richmond has almost always had a mobile rushing qb, so his numbers wont be as high as wide receivers on passing teams. Arman is a good blocker though I think, which is nice to have in a receiver. If you look at Arman's college numbers, they compare to Terrell Owens's, another FCS school prospect whose athleticism got him drafted. Owens is bigger than Shields, which is why he got drafted in the 3rd round while Arman will get drafted later. I don't mean to say that Arman is another TO in any way (character or skills), but that their draft situations are similar.

As to the level of competition, Richmond is in the CAA which is unarguably the most talented and most competitive conference in the FCS. Remeber, there is not as big a gap between the FCS and the FBS these days (see Appalachian State beating a #3 at the time Michigan in Ann Arbor). Richmond finished tied for first in the CAA, beating a very good Joe Flacco led Delaware team on the road, as well as a very good JMU team at JMU. Richmond lost to Vanderbilt in the only full game Arman played, but he was very productive with 12 catches for 107 yards that game against SEC competition. Richmond eventually lost to App. St. in the FCS final four, but App. St. is unquestionably the best FCS program and the game was close up until the very end. Don't knock the level of talent that Arman was facing at the FCS level--some of the NFL's elite players today came from small schools just like Richmond (Brian Westbrook, Owens, Jared Allen, Rashean Mathis, Robert Mathis, Tony Romo sits to pee).

I'm pretty sure he's not in the same category as Sweed.
He looked good against inferior talent.

Why do you have to poo-poo a perfectly legitimate option? And I mean option not opinion. Drafting Arman Shields is a possibility, whereas Sweed most likely will be gone before we pick at #21...who knows, maybe Sweed will be available at #21, but that sort of stat changes with the wind, everyday.

Maybe Sweed is not in same category as Calvin Johnson. Maybe he won't turn into the next Randy Moss...but there are some people who would like to juxtapose him into that class of WR (particularly Sweed himself and his agent).

I like Sweed myself, he has the potential to be a good WR in the NFL.

However the margin of difference between two players (speaking in generalities): of equal athleticism and size/weight is their own desire to succeed, not by what school they went to. For whatever reason, there are incredibly talented and hard-working individuals who get picked up by 'big-time' schools but never make it, they only play the backup role. Every year a bunch of talented and incredibly athletic guys get signed to "big time" programs (Texas / USC / Florida) yet only a handful make it, (Sweed as one). Some never get noticed out of high school (Shields), but latch on somewhere and remain relatively unknown, until they show up to the same workout as the "top tier" guys and prove that they, themselves, belong.

The same can be said of the college to NFL transition as what I said about the high school to college transition.

The idea of signing a home-grown talent is an attractive idea to me, especially since this guy might be around in the later rounds (5 / 6 / 7). Alot of fans and many on this board ask for the Redskins to use their draft picks wisely, to not trade them away and pick guys that are hard workers. Add to that, this guy is a homer.

It's at least an idea that makes sense and if it were to work out for Arman here and he was proved to be a late round steal, it could prove to be a great heart-warming story. Yet before the story even gets started we have people who are so cynical of the potential outcome. Point blank, to play football at a Div. 1 level, regardless if it's 1A or 1AA(or whatever they call 1AA now), is top level football and whoever that person may be, is an incredible athlete.

And what this Shields guy has proven so far with his workouts, is that he is just as talented, physically, as those guys from bigger programs (the likes of): Va Tech / Texas..etc. I will always cheer for the underdog.

___

it looks like coming out of high school he didn't have huge numbers which would explain why he wasn't as heavily recruited by bigger programs. The most successful Division I-AA programs usually have to settle for finding the excellent athletes and players, who for some reason, slipped through the cracks. Richmond's former coach Dave Clawson was a brilliant recruiter and master of doing just this. He turned Richmond's football program around from being a perennial cupcake into one of the best I-AA programs in the country largely by signing recruits like Arman.

As to Richmond's offense, it is very run heavy, so it's wideouts don't get too many opportunities.

As to the level of competition, Richmond is in the CAA which is unarguably the most talented and most competitive conference in the FCS. Richmond finished tied for first in the CAA, beating a very good Joe Flacco lead Delaware team on the road, as well as a very good JMU team at JMU. Richmond lost to Vanderbilt in the only full game Arman played, but he was very productive with 12 catches for 107 yards that game against SEC competition. Richmond eventually lost to App. St. in the FCS final four, but App. St. is unquestionably the best FCS program and the game was close up until the very end.

Don't knock the level of talent that Arman was facing at the FCS level--some of the NFL's elite players today came from small schools just like Richmond (Brian Westbrook, Owens, Jared Allen, Rashean Mathis, Robert Mathis, Tony Romo sits to pee).

What that guy said.

Why do you have to poo-poo a perfectly legitimate option? And I mean option not opinion. Drafting Arman Shields is a possibility, whereas Sweed most likely will be gone before we pick at #21...who knows, maybe Sweed will be available at #21, but that sort of stat changes with the wind, everyday.

I'm not poo-pooing on anything. My opinion is strictly that Sweed is a much better prospect than Shields. This is common sense to most except for the guy I'm arguing against. Sorry if stating the obvious is negative. But it is what it is.

In terms of what Zorn want's to add to this team, a guy who will start opposite Moss and push Randel El to the slot... this guy simply wouldn't do that. No way.

Since no one has decided to do any research on Arman Shields, I took the liberty to do so. Uhhhh...this kid is a beast. He torched the competion on the 1aa level. His quarteback situation was horrible and Richmond is a running team. Stacy Tutt who is now a fullback with the NY Jets was his quarteback and Shields still put up Numbers! After Tutt graduated a Freshman Eric Ward became QB, he is inexperienced but did a pretty good job. As far as competition goes he played in 1aa but Richmond faced...get ready for this Division 1 SEC Vanderbilt twice in his career and he torched them twice for over 100 yards recieving both times and scored a TD. They also faced D1 Duke and of course he killed their secondary. So this kid is DEFINITELY a Diamond in the rough. He attended a small school but he has proven that he has NFL talent. Do your research folks! Google anyone?!? Oh and one more thing..his combine numbers were incredible. No other WR was in the Top 10 in all Drills. Somebody needs to wake up and find out more about him. His senior year he had a knee injury in the second game and sat out the rest of the season. The first game on Richmond's calendar this year was ...guess who SEC Division 1 Vanderbilt. Shields did his thing.

I gotta think the first two posters might be a little biased towards this guy since they're from Richmond, but also they get to see him and others don't that much. I don't really remember anything of him from the JMU game, but I don't really pay that much attention to the players except for ours haha. Oh and our *****(Santos). Either way, Richmond sucks, GO DUKES! Haha but yea, the CAA is the SEC of I-AA, totally dominant, I'd be pretty happy with taking a CAA guy with a later pick. I wanted Rascati last year to replace Brunell. Brunell seemed kinda pointless with having Todd, especially if Mark's going to be third string and Rascati would be a good young guy with some potential. I kinda got off topic lol...

More info on Shields....1st team All Conference and also 1st team VASID which includes all Virginia teams Vtech, Cavaliers and so on. For those who don't know he is a local guy who played little league football with DERRICK HARVEY-Florida and played high school ball at Gonzaga with JOEY HAYNOS-Maryland. Both of those guys were at the NFL Combine. I know a scout or two who have his 40 time between 4.34 and 4.38. They don't trust the Combines electric timing system. REDSKINS DRAFT this kid!. Somebody get Snyder on the phone...lol

Archived