Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McCain denies inappropriate relationship with lobbyist

The_cavalierman

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

By Jim Rutenberg, Marilyn W. Thompson, David. D. Kirkpatrick and Stephen Labaton

nyt_logo_140x252.gif

WASHINGTON - Early in Senator John McCain’s first run for the White House eight years ago, waves of anxiety swept through his small circle of advisers.

A female lobbyist had been turning up with him at fund-raisers, in his offices and aboard a client’s corporate jet. Convinced the relationship had become romantic, some of his top advisers intervened to protect the candidate from himself — instructing staff members to block the woman’s access, privately warning her away and repeatedly confronting him, several people involved in the campaign said on the condition of anonymity.

When news organizations reported that Mr. McCain had written letters to government regulators on behalf of the lobbyist’s clients, the former campaign associates said, some aides feared for a time that attention would fall on her involvement.

Click here for the rest of the story

What does this mean for the straight talk express?

Doesn't anyone find this odd that the Times would endorse McCain and basically be his cheering section for years and than sit on this story while they were endorsing him, than attack him like this now??

Something stinks.

It's called balance...

Just because a paper endorses you does not mean they wont clean your clock when/if you screw up.

I think McCain's sins are gonna come back to haunt him. It is going to be interesting to see how republicans deal with swiftboat tactics.

Do you ever care about having proof before bashing someone? The vast majority of the posters here know what you are about. Please tell what his sins are since you assume he has so many.

Tell me, will the democratic nominee also suffer from this? I haven't seen any posts from you about that (ever).

You are exactly the type of person papers like the NYT's count on. You will bite at anything. I'm sure if someone wrote something about you or your family with ZERO evidence you would change your tune.

Do you ever care about having proof before bashing someone? The vast majority of the posters here know what you are about. Please tell what his sins are since you assume he has so many.

Tell me, will the democratic nominee also suffer from this? I haven't seen any posts from you about that (ever).

You are exactly the type of person papers like the NYT's count on. You will bite at anything. I'm sure if someone wrote something about you or your family with ZERO evidence you would change your tune.

Yeah because I am always short on links:rolleyes:

1. McCain Corruption

2. McCain Corruption

I have more but I'll allow you some time to come up with vigorous denials for the first three. If you have a problem with the New York Times then take it up with them. Apparently they are sticking with their version of the facts and their lawyers are ready should McCain pursue a legal course of action.

Thus far McCain's camp is silent.....Hmmmmmmm:D

Being part of the Keating Five. The only way this story will have any impact is if it is shown that he did her any special favors being a lobbyist. This is in stark contrast to his "turnaround" on special interest groups following the Keating Five.

Yeah because I am always short on links:rolleyes:

1. McCain Corruption

2. McCain Corruption

I have more but I'll allow you some time to come up with vigorous denials for the first three. If you have a problem with the New York Times then take it up with them. Apparently they are sticking with their version of the facts and their lawyers are ready should McCain pursue a legal course of action.

Thus far McCain's camp is silent.....Hmmmmmmm:D

Wow, this was pathetic. Tell me again where the facts are. I'm not seeing it here. Seriously, where are the facts? You have nothing. You're not helping your image here. Not hurting either I guess :laugh: :laugh:

This was a shot across the bow.

I think this is a non story. I also think this is the democrats sending a warning to Repubs. "We are going to get as dirty as you. We are not going lay back and let you "Swift boat" our candidate again. We will came at you with every baseless rumor, just like you have".

I think this story has as much legs as the "Obama is a Muslim" story. Just like repubs on this board say "Well - I don't have a issue with it. But many think Obama is a Muslim due to his ties...." Dems will start saying "I don't think it's a story. But many think McCain might not be as honest due to the rumors..."

I'm hoping the campaign doesn't get nasty. But if 529's start popping up pushing baseless rumors about the dem, you bet your *** I hope they hit back.

This was a shot accross the bow.

I think this is a non story. I also think this is the democrats sending a warning to Repubs. "We are going to get as dirty as you. We are not going lay back and let you "Swift boat" our canidate again. We will came at you with every basesless rumor, just like you have".

I think this story has as much legs as the "Obama is a Muslim" story. Just like repubs on this board say "Well - I don't have a issue with it. But many think Obama is a muslim due to his ties...." Dems will start saying "I don't think it's a story. But many think McCain might not be as honest due to the rummors..."

I'm hoping the campign doesn't get nasty. But if 529's start popping up pushing baseless rumors about the dem, you bet your *** I hope they hit back.

When it comes to politics, the Golden Rule definitely gets thrown right out the window. :(

When it comes to politics, the Golden Rule definitely gets thrown right out the window. :(

The challenge is that while American say they hate negative advertising, and saw they would rather discuss issues.

They respond very well to negative advertising.

So therefore the guy who tries to stay above it, and doesn't respond, is the one that actually is punished.

The challenge is that while American say they hate negative advertising, and saw they would rather discuss issues.

They respond very well to negative advertising.

So therefore the guy who tries to stay above it, and doesn't respond, is the one that actually is punished.

True.

Wow, this was pathetic. Tell me again where the facts are. I'm not seeing it here. Seriously, where are the facts? You have nothing. You're not helping your image here. Not hurting either I guess :laugh: :laugh:

You do realize that many of the swift boaters that accused Kerry have since recanted their accusations...

So since when has the truth been important to republicans???

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Archived