Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Since when does trash talker=team cancer???

IrepDC

Maybe it's an age or generation thing, I'm not sure, but I've been noticing that a lot of players have been characterized as team cancers around here lately. One thing that a lot of people are pointing is these players' trash talking. My question is, how do you connect trash talk to team cancer? And honestly I'd like to know what some of you think a "team cancer" is. I think some have gotten a bit carried away with the phraze.

This relates to our team because a lot of players, according to us fans, should not be looked at or given a chance to play here because they are team cancers? In my opinion, it takes a LOT for a player to be cancerous to a team. Nobody is going to miss a block because they are thinking about what one guy said on ESPN. Nobody is gonna drop a pass because someone said something mean about their coach.

I personally have played with guys I could not STAND. Guys I might even fight off the field, lol. But when that whistle blew we all became family working to achieve one goal. That is what grown men do. I'm sure plenty of you may have an a** hole at your job, or in some cases you may be the a** hole, but the job still has to get done either way. And if that a** hole is good at getting the job done then sometimes you have to swallow your pride and work with them.

Basically I don't want our team to keep passing on talent like Moss, T.O., Ocho Cinco, D. Hall, etc etc because people are scared they will "tear our team apart". I'm not saying we have to go out and get one of THESE guys specifically but don't burn bridges just because you are scared of a little trash talk. If you do a little research you'll find that every guy I just listed work their A**ES off.

Sooner or later, my elder Skins fans, you are going to have to except the new generation of football players that are coming up. Yes, we talk a little more but we work just as hard and love the game just as much. The only reason it seems so bad is now, unlike 20 years ago, anytime a player says something there is a mic in his face and a reporter ready to amplify every statement.

Thoughts?

Team cancer is the guy who rips his teammates on and off the field. He is the guy who ignores the coaches when they try and coach him up on the field. He is the guy who insists on doing a touchdown dance despite being down by 14 points. He is Chad Johnson.

i thought chad johnson was the guy who makes game changing plays, had had over 1000 yards every season hes ever started, and has never missed an nfl game. or is that another guy im thinking of. help me out here.

dude I couldn't agree with you more. I'm tired of passing on talent just because they aren't choir boys. Personally I like guys who talk trash like smoot. People didn't want TO or moss here because of the way they acted. You don't think we would be a much better team right now if we had Owens or moss? Stop kidding yourselves. We will NEVER be a super bowl contender until we get some talenton this team whether they are good character guys or not period!!!

I agree a lot of the older crowd automatically assumes and pre judges people by the way they talk trash.

It's sports, everyone is having fun and if you cant express it what's the point.

If you are shy and reserved, thats fine.. but if you make plays, you should be allowed to showboat. Its entertainment.. I think as long as you produce you can talk..

If you dont produce, then yes i have a problem with it.

ie;Chad Johnson is NOT a team cancer, he just makes plays and likes to express it. I would say any other bengal BESIDES Chad would be a cancer. Chad hasnt had the leagel problems or even lockerrooms problems

Yeah, I agree with your overall statement, but you do need to look at it on a case-to-case basis.

Chad Johnson to me is a competitor and baller who plays as hard as anyone. He just wants to win, and he has a bit of a wacky personality. He is a bit of a primadonna and has a massive ego, but so do most WR in the NFL. My only issues with him are the cost it will take to get him (salary cap wise and draft picks), and his age (30 years old).

T.O. has previously 'torn his teams apart'. He disrespected his coaches, QBs, and teammates both in San Fran and in Philly. He cares about himself and has some issues. On-the-field, however, he is one of the toughest players and works hard to be one of the best at his position.

Randy Moss has had previous attitude problems, and there were plenty of times, even during the great Patriots season, that he gave up on routes. It was discussed frequently when the Patriots narrowly won games against the Eagles and Ravens. Moss just wasn't going full speed when the play wasn't in his direction. Randy Moss' talent is undeniable as one of the greatest combinations of size-speed-hands in the NFL. The chemistry issue could still be there based on the team, but winning cures almost everything.

DeAngelo Hall is another guy with a massive ego who thinks he's the best CB in the NFL. All corners get beat from time-to-time, but I don't think Hall is that clutch to consider him among the best. He disrespects authority, but again, winning would help his situation.

Another guy who alienated himself that we all know is Brandon Lloyd. In 2006, he got frustrated a lot and showed his emotions to officials/coaches/teammates. He stated himself that his attitude would be good on a winning team. In 2007, many here, myself included, felt he would rededicate himself and have a breakout season. He just seemed to lose any drive to do anything. He wouldn't make plays, and soon the coaches made sure he wouldn't even be in the game for any plays. He supposedly missed team meetings and guys in the locker room let him sleep there, without even bothering him. Also, he didn't go to any after-practice throwing sessions with Campbell, feeling that it wasn't needed. He ended up being stopped from even traveling with the team because of the personality conflicts and his attitude as a member of the team.

You have to look at it on a case-by-case basis. Sometimes you can control guys and they can perform great for you. Take a look at Albert Haynesworth who some were saying should be kicked out of the NFL for his behavioral issues, and he rebounded by being one of the best D-linemen in the NFL. It still is a risk however. It paid off for the Patriots, but you never know what'll end up happening.

i thought chad johnson was the guy who makes game changing plays, had had over 1000 yards every season hes ever started, and has never missed an nfl game. or is that another guy im thinking of. help me out here.
i

I'm so tired of hearing the chad Johnson is a cancer crap! If we don't get him I hope he goes to a team that he can destroy us. Maybe then we will finally learn that we need playmakers not suspect talent!!!

Team cancer is the guy who rips his teammates on and off the field. He is the guy who ignores the coaches when they try and coach him up on the field. He is the guy who insists on doing a touchdown dance despite being down by 14 points. He is Chad Johnson.

can you give me some examples of this?

:yes: ??

i

I'm so tired of hearing the chad Johnson is a cancer crap! If we don't get him I hope he goes to a team that he can destroy us. Maybe then we will finally learn that we need playmakers not suspect talent!!!

i wouldnt go that far.. I will never like a player more than my team but I understand your frsutration

What is considered ripping a teamate? Because honestly sometimes men need to be called out. And when did Chad IGNORE a coach? You're probably referring to the play when he ran the wrong route and the media turned it into "HE DOESN'T WANT TO LISTEN TO THE PLAY CALL!"? Haha. And if he wants to dance after he scores let him dance. I bet #85 is in a gym somewhere working his A** off right NOW so that he can get in the endzone and dance this Fall. The guy works for it, lol.

The guy helped the Bengals wayyyy more than he hurt them(still don't see how he hurt them). It's not his fault their defense sucks.

You didn't see him ripping into Palmer on the sideline last year and jawing at him all the way to the locker room? You haven't seen him ingore Lewis when they try and tell him something? Sorry, no youtube vidoes to share...

That started this year when the Bengals started to disrespect him :)

Having a pro bowl QB and WR across from him don't help that much either....

I wonder if the 'Skins have those....

Hence, he's a team cancer.

Portis plays the same way. Good stats, interesting celebrations, and extremely competitive.

Around here, a player is a Cancer if you don't support him. Portis is only a cancer to McD5. Johnson is a Cancer because some people feel all we need to do is draft 8 DEs and we'll win the Super Bowl.

Doesnt Tom Brady rip his teammates on and off the field?? He definitely does not have a problem ripping them publicily on the field. When TO or Chad does it...he's a cancer. When Brady does it...he's a leader.

Having a pro bowl QB and WR across from him don't help that much either....

I wonder if the 'Skins have those....

I wonder who gave that Rookie QB a consistent target to throw it too in his early years. I wonder who developed a competitive bond with said QB to brew success. I wonder how a Pro Bowl WR still only faced Single Coverage, even after tipping 100 Receptions.

You didn't see him ripping into Palmer on the sideline last year and jawing at him all the way to the locker room? You haven't seen him ingore Lewis when they try and tell him something? Sorry, no youtube vidoes to share...

Football is an emotional sport. Guys are going to argue. Some players are very passionate and yell from time to time. He's taken more pressure OFF Palmer than he's put on him. And as far as walking away from Lewis, maybe walking away was the better thing to do rather than argue with coach. They were obviously both upset with what was happening.

Chad Johnson= not a cancer. Just a really, really competitive guy. All you have to do is look up when he was crying in the locker room begging the team to come together during the AFC Wild Card game against the Steelers when Palmer got his knee blown out.

On the other hand,

DeAngelo Hall= cancer, and more importantly, a bum. Those who think he's a top 5 corner are delusional, and those who think he's worth trading anything better than 5th round pick for while also giving him a massive contract should have their computers taken away.

Sometimes it's not just about the attitude a guy brings onto the field, as long as he's producing to an elite level and bringing more good than bad with his play. A guy like Chad Johnson and even T.O. the past couple seasons for the Cowboys can be forgiven for any kind of supposed incidents where the media or the team is just trying to make them into scapegoats or villains. A guy like Hall however, is just a punk who's brought his reputation onto himself since he was a teenager and can't even back it up on the field because he's too busy giving up TD's and making stupid selfish plays.

And honestly I'd like to know what some of you think a "team cancer" is. I think some have gotten a bit carried away with the phraze.
A team cancer is anyone whose negative actions equal or outweigh their postive actions. This could be anything from too many penalty yards for excessive showboating, poor sportsmanship, extreme selfishness, legal problem which prevent you from even playing, or constant friction with teammates and coaches. Obviously, the really good players need to be really bad for them to be considered a cancer.

Examples:

TO during his last year in Philly

PacMan Jones

Chris Henry

Michael Vick

Jeff George, anywhere he's been

Brandon Lloyd in Washington

The BEST example:

Keyshawn Johnson during his last year in Tampa (still the only player I've ever heard of who was literally PAID to go away :laugh: )

And in my opinion, Chad Johnson still has about 600 yards of penalties, a few screaming matches with Marvin Lewis, and at least 1 DUI before he's even allowed to see the Cancer Application.

Archived