Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox Sports: 'Skins rework Cooley deal to save cap space (Current ~$7M over cap)

SkinsMaster88

Cooley still has the same years on his deal right?

Cooley's deal wasn't really reworked. The contract called for a roster bonus and that's what inflated his cap number for '08. Teams have the ability to convert roster bonuses into regular signing bonuses and can stretch out the cap hit over the remainder of the contract.

I love Cooley, but let's not act like he's some kind of hero. It's not like he gave money back or had to sacrifice anything. The deal was signed and proposed that way because it gives Washington the ability to pay more cash up front than they would otherwise be able to do under the CBA.

Maybe he needs to open a new account, that FDIC insurance only covers up to a certain ammount :D I don't care what he does with it, just as long as he doesn't go out and "make it rain".

I've always wondered what I would do or where I would put my money if I had that much. Maybe build a safe like the one's in the banks in my house that was attached to the ground and just keep cashing my checks. Cash all over the place.

question about Springs ... why are people talking about restructuring his contract to provide cap relief? Isn't this his last year under contract? If so, I don't understand how any restructuring lowers anything in

What people are talking about is giving him a new deal where he foregoes the bonus money he is due this year in favor for more years and a new signing bonus.

This would let Washington of the hook for the roster bonus and allow them to spread the new signing bonus over the extra years, thereby reducing his cap hit.

The problem with that is Springs age. He's had a history of nagging injuries and giving older players frontloaded deals can be a disaster if they can't stay productive for at least half of the negotiated years.

question about Springs ... why are people talking about restructuring his contract to provide cap relief? Isn't this his last year under contract? If so, I don't understand how any restructuring lowers anything in regards to his salary.

It seems to me that whether it is bonus or base salary, in the last year of a contract it all counts against the cap the same way? Can someone help me understand this?

I thought if we extended his contract for another year or two, and then try to spread out what he is owed this year into next year, that could provide cap relief ... but I'm not a capologist type of guy. Any help understanding this would be appreciated.

I guess they could release Springs now and take a big cap hit, or after June 1st to spread it to next year. I guess if they wanted to restructure the last year of his deal, they could essentially give him a 3 year extension (someone mention about $18 million in another thread) and that would lower his cap figure this year from the 7.6 million he'll make.

question about Springs ... why are people talking about restructuring his contract to provide cap relief? Isn't this his last year under contract? If so, I don't understand how any restructuring lowers anything in regards to his salary.

It seems to me that whether it is bonus or base salary, in the last year of a contract it all counts against the cap the same way? Can someone help me understand this?

I thought if we extended his contract for another year or two, and then try to spread out what he is owed this year into next year, that could provide cap relief ... but I'm not a capologist type of guy. Any help understanding this would be appreciated.

according to:

http://www.skinsfans.com/pcinoz/Contracts%20Chart.htm

Springs is signed through 2010? And you do this move if you want to keep springs around long term, and I think they should, his number should be cheaper then any FA currently on the market.

Say what you must about Danny but he is the master of the cap situation. The problem in the past has been that we would free up this money and sign players with "potential" and none but one (Andre Carter) has worked out. I hope that he does not happen this time around but instead he sign one or two known impact players to complement the talent that we already have.

Why is everyone giving credit to Cooley for this move?

"Hey Chris, do you want $11M now, or do you want $11M later, that we MIGHT not pay you in the 1% chance we cut you."

Duhhh...

PV > FV

Well duhhhh...... that's fairly obvious to most of us but Cooley still has to sign off on it and good will for down the road is established.

These FOX reporters are terrible. We will only be about $4M over the cap and MB is a FA. His contract had a clause which allowed him FA in the event that he does not take a certain # of snaps. It's obvious that he did not take any snaps last year.

I was not aware of this. So when FA begins, he is off the roster?

The Man Dan doing what he does best finessing the Salary Cap

Yeah. Keeping OLDER, EXPENSIVE, and UNDERPERFORMING players.

Snyder's "finessing" the salary cap has left you guys with the OLDEST and most EXPENSIVE roster in the league.

While they other three teams in the the division, has singificantly YOUNGER and more TALENTED rosters with significantly MORE salary cap space for further retooling and WITHOUT having to go and restructure any of their players.

Say what you must about Danny but he is the master of the cap situation. The problem in the past has been that we would free up this money and sign players with "potential" and none but one (Andre Carter) has worked out. I hope that he does not happen this time around but instead he sign one or two known impact players to complement the talent that we already have.

LOL!!! Ok... if you think so. What's o masterful in going to older players and asking them to restructure EVERY year just so that you can get UNDER the cap? If Snyder is such a MASTER of the cap situation, then what does that say about the rest of the teams that are significantly UNDER the cap and thereby don't ave to go and restructure their players?

LOL!!! Ok... if you think so. What's o masterful in going to older players and asking them to restructure EVERY year just so that you can get UNDER the cap? If Snyder is such a MASTER of the cap situation, then what does that say about the rest of the teams that are significantly UNDER the cap and thereby don't ave to go and restructure their players?

This tells me he does it his way and they do it their's...I do not agree with most of the decisions, as far as player selections, that the FO made that got us in this situation but as far as maneuvering to get us back in the green there is none better.

BTW, what older players are you talking about?

Well duhhhh...... that's fairly obvious to most of us but Cooley still has to sign off on it and good will for down the road is established.

He actually doesn't have to sign off on it. The contracts are worded so that the team has the option to convert the bonus. The Redskins excercised the option.

The posts shouls read:

"Great job Cooley playing so well that the team has enough confidence in you to keep you on the roster for at least the next 3 years!"

What's interesting is the posturing going on over the CBA. Can anyone imagine Snyder without a cap?

Here's a couple of key points:

"It's very clear to us from what we see in the tea leaves the owners will terminate the deal in November," Upshaw said Thursday. "I have prepared the players for the worst."

"A termination of the deal would make 2009 the final year with a salary cap and 2010 an uncapped year. The contract expires in 2011. The union went out on strike for 57 days in 1982 and 24 days in 1987."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2008/02/01/2008-02-01_gene_upshaw_threatens_strike.html

Archived