Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC Blog on Lance Briggs Interest from Skins

Reaganaut

Guys, you got to filter everything you read. JLC put out a lot of information. He will hit on some and he will miss on some. He speculates a lot more on his blogs. If you read both his blogs and what he puts in the Sports section you can tell he leaves some of the speculation in the blog and never publishes it.

Also, just because the owner and Vinny talk about certain players does not mean the team will actually target those players when it becomes time to get serious. Why would Zorn blow a couple high picks his first draft to get CJ? Does the team want to invest in Briggs or look elsewhere? A big WR is a need, IMHO, but so is DE and another defensive tackle. The team also needs at least one young future guard/center to start grooming. They need to decide if they need to get a young corner this year or next depending on Carlos and Springs.

A lot of questions. Zorn and the FO/coaches need to develop a strategy that will work. This is day three for Zorn. I bet that strategy is still evolving. The team also needs to wait on teams like Seattle that could franchise their FA CB. Will he be available or not is something that the team will have to wait on and possibly consider.

I dont think there is a conspiracy man, Snyder has been all over Briggs since day 1. Rosenhaus loves working with Snyder and vice versa, and can easily broker a deal. Its a win win for everyone, its not like he is cooking this up. We need an LB, weve coveted Briggs in the past, it all adds up.

As someone above said, he definitely reports more solid info in the paper, b/c that has to be more credible. He reports every sliver of rumor he hears on his blog for a reason...its the offseason and we all want to read it and speculate. I love it. Hell if he hears Jason Campbell tripped down his stairs and scuffed his nikes, id love to know. Its the offseason and we're hungry!

Finally it seems we are going to address the D-line.......that may not have happened if Gibbs stayed on another season.

To lay that all on Gibbs is just foolish.

This franchise hasn't addressed the DE position on day one of the draft since 1997.

That's a failure on the franchise as a whole. :2cents:

JLC blog link

I am having a difficult time understanding what the obsession is with Lance Briggs from Chicago. We have Marcus Washington, London Fletcher, Rocky McIntosh, HB Blades and others. What does Lance Briggs add that these guys don't have other than a Jeremiah Trotter like contract with about the same results? Why do we need Briggs is what I'm asking.

The obsession is that Marcus Washington has been very injury prone and McIntosh is coming off yet another knee injury.

My guess is that if Briggs is brought in, it would be at the expense of Washington, who's salary is starting to become bloated.

Here we go again. High priced underachievers to upset the balance Joe Gibbs worked so hare to establish over the last 4 years.

The balance Gibbs brought?? Gibbs brought in Lloyd and AA. Gibbs is the one who had too many coaches on the staff all wth a different agenda. I'm a Gibbs guy but don't make it seem like Snyder is tearing apart a kingdom here.

"Free agent Rock Cartwright is expected to depart." - That sucks! We love rock, Sorry Blondie :(

I love Rock too but to be honest, these are the tough decisions a team has to make. We have Betts who can return kicks and we have Mason who can step in and be the #3 back. It sucks but its the right move to make.

The balance Gibbs brought?? Gibbs brought in Lloyd and AA. Gibbs is the one who had too many coaches on the staff all wth a different agenda. I'm a Gibbs guy but don't make it seem like Snyder is tearing apart a kingdom here.

And Fletcher. And Taylor. And Landry. And Golston. And Montgomery. And Cooley. And Campbell. And Yoder. And Portis. And Smoot. And Carter.

The list goes on and on. Dont talk about 2 things that didnt quite work out as if thats the main story.

Am I the only one here who doesnt see Rock and Betts as interchangeable? Rock consistently gave us great field position and held onto the ball. I love Betts in his role, I do, but the guy has fumbilitis and was not as successful as Rock on KR.

Its not a question of a roster spot, its a question of why are we letting a dude go is better at what he does.

Nevermind key on RB depth.

I don't like the price we'll have to pay for Briggs at all.

However I do think LB needs addressing. Marcus is a bit too injury prone and Rocky won't be Rocky again until 2009...Fletcher is old...and we don't know yet if Blades is going to be a starting calibre guy or not. LB needs addressing I'd just rather not address it with Briggs.

And Fletcher. And Taylor. And Landry. And Golston. And Montgomery. And Cooley. And Campbell. And Yoder. And Portis. And Smoot. And Carter.

The list goes on and on. Dont talk about 2 things that didnt quite work out as if thats the main story.

I'm not arguing that Gibbs didn't make positive moves. But lets not act like Snyder is destroying a great Kingdom. As far as I can tell he's keeping Fletcher, Landry, Golston & Montgomery,Cooley, Campbell, Yoder, Portis, Smoot, and Carter. So my question is what exactly has Snyder destroying? He didn't hire GW because he didn't feel he was the right man for the job. If Gibbs really felt GW was and pushed hard on this, he would be the coach....

And lets not fail to give some credit where its due. Gibbs didn't find these late round picks and undrafted FA's. Give Cerrato some due because he was the one who found Goltston, Montgomery, Cooley, Wilson, HB Blades, and Alexander.

I don't like the price we'll have to pay for Briggs at all.

However I do think LB needs addressing. Marcus is a bit too injury prone and Rocky won't be Rocky again until 2009...Fletcher is old...and we don't know yet if Blades is going to be a starting calibre guy or not. LB needs addressing I'd just rather not address it with Briggs.

Definitely agree. While I like Briggs, the price tag might be too high. That being said linebacker is an absolute need. The problem is that after Briggs, Dansby is the only other good linebacker available and his price tag may also be high. This defensive staff has already shown that out of all positions on the D, they want experienced players at linebacker so I don't think the draft is an option.

With all fairness, I think Washington will be gone when his contract is up, BUT Briggs is a punk. He threatens to sit out a season cause he's only making $7.2Mil in one year? Get the **** outta town.

We need to shed the mantra that this is where FAs come to make their dough, not encourage it.

Ah come on 'Skins fan! If they can't bring up those two mistakes while ignoring all the good players Gibbs and Snyder brought in together then they can't ramble on mindlessly about hating our FO!

the skins LBs have some age on them and have been banged up pretty good. briggs is 28 and more or less in his prime so it's tempting to try for him. Still would look to the draft for help.

Drafting the players you need can help the cap while bringing in high dollar FAs can quickly bust it. Bringing in both CJ and Briggs will take some fancy footwork.

I see Fletcher being traded to JAX to stay with G.Williams, I wonder what he'd be willing to part with in JAx for his field general back...

Jax already has a VERY good MLB in Mike Peterson. Undersized just like Fletch, but a very good player. Fletcher will be back.

The only way I see a deal for Briggs working out would be if Marcus was involved in a trade with Cincy for CJ. He's the only real defensive bait of value we have to package with a mid-round or future pick to get CJ. They need defense, and we need offense so I guess it would somewhat make sense. Then Snyder could just use his gobs of money to make a huge LB contract fit. I wouldn't exactly be excited to see something like this go down, but I wouldn't be surprised either.

My questions is this. Linebacker is obviously a need so what do we do?? Briggs is the best player available and is proven unlike some of our past FA mistakes. If you don't think we should sign him then how do we address the linebacker position?? I personally wouldn't be opposed to giving Blades a chance but I think he's more of a MLB and we'd still need quality depth behind him.

Injuries, injuries, and injuries - that's why. Marcus and Rocky have big-time injury problems. And while Fletcher has been a rock his entire career, he is getting older. That being said, I'm still not a fan of this move. Yes, Briggs is a beast and he is arguably better than all of our current LBs. But we have other areas of need that are much more dire (WR, DE, CB) that need to be addressed first

Injuries, injuries, and injuries - that's why. Marcus and Rocky have big-time injury problems. And while Fletcher has been a rock his entire career, he is getting older. That being said, I'm still not a fan of this move. Yes, Briggs is a beast and he is arguably better than all of our current LBs. But we have other areas of need that are much more dire (WR, DE, CB) that need to be addressed first

With injuries etc, why not just get a good journeyman to plug in and then draft a linebacker who will develop when the age issue kicks in? I just don't get the big name linebacker thing. It has never worked out for the skins. Name one big name linebacker that we signed as a free agent who has worked out? Washington was a good name, but not like Briggs.

Archived