Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs II afterburner

SWFLSkins

I have been reading all the posts here lately that vary wildly in opinion to say the least. And after thinking about this over the last couple of weeks and thinking about the coaching search a thought has crossed my mind a number of times.

Coach Gibbs who had every right to retire considering the year he had and the family situation is obvious. But he did us no great favor in leaving without a plan in place. Many will counter that Williams was the heir apparent. But if that were true than why was it not done weeks ago and before dismissing him as a candidate. To me it just begs to question how much of this current mess is Snyder's fault and how much of it is Gibbs? He was President afterall. Now we have the top three coaches from last year gone, Gibbs, Williams and Saunders.

Most around here are pinning the blame on Dan Snyder, but I ask this question, If Joe Gibbs cared that much about the Redskins then why was his transition into retirement not handled with the Redskins future in greater consideration? He could have easily held the President title and oversaw the hiring of a staff for the year. I am sure this thought will get shredded and it comes to me with a heavy heart as I love Coach Gibbs.

But, how did Gibbs let this happen? All that said, I wish he would make a statement and clarify for us the Redskins fans what the hell exactly is going on. Does he not owe us that?

The fact that Gibbs not only resigned as Coach, but also as Team President does say something.

But when push comes to shove the owner always has to make the final decision on any HC hiring.

They weren't prepared for JJG leaving, by most accounts, and it shows. As a $1 billion business, they should always have a Plan B at the ready.

Months before the season ended many people even on this board were saying that there was a good possibility that Gibbs would not enter his last season as a lame duck, and that he would either step away after this season or sign an extension.

Now if WE knew it, don't you think Danny and Vinny would've been anticipating it as well?

In a way, I'm glad Gibbs left......lets this team move on with its future, and actually forces out FO to search for a coach instead of taking the easy way out and throwing huge dollars out there to Cowher, if he were available. Of course, given how long the process has dragged on, that still might happen :doh:

I think Snyder asked Gibbs to retire.

This actually makes sense on some levels. Snyder would have hired Williams if he was happy with Gibbs 2.0. Snyder has convinced himself he knows more about football and what is good for the franchise than Joe Gibbs himself.

If Snyder asked Gibbs to retire, than how come the search for a successor has been like passing a gall stone? :)

You can't tell me that in evaluating 31 other teams in the NFL, there isn't another coordinator other than Spagnuolo that wasn't worth interviewing for the HC job here before the conclusion of the Super Bowl.

No, I believe Gibbs did in fact surprise the Redskins with the timing of his resignation.

And as in 1993, he left abruptly and without agreeing to spend much time helping the team bridge the gap to the next administration.

One can point to Gregg Williams, and I agree that Snyder did not treat Williams with the respect I think he deserved in the search process.

But in working for 4 years with Gregg, could Gibbs not see that Dan Snyder and GW were perhaps too different in style and attitude to be a good management team going forward? :)

Gibbs after all was prided if for anything, for his ability to deal with people and establish relationships.

It seems in this case, he made a quick decision and left the rest to providence.

But then again, Parcells did the same thing in NE after taking them to a Super Bowl and did likewise in Dallas after last season.

I don't think Snyder relinquished as much authority to Gibbs when he hired him 4 years ago then Snyder led us to believe. I also have a hard time believing as good a business man Snyder is, he didn't have a contingency plan in place for when Gibbs did retire.I think there is still alot of other reasons behind Gibbs retirement that we don't know about and probably never will.

I am sure this thought will get shredded and it comes to me with a heavy heart as I love Coach Gibbs.

But, how did Gibbs let this happen? All that said, I wish he would make a statement and clarify for us the Redskins fans what the hell exactly is going on. Does he not owe us that?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And within 24 hours my prayers were answered, thanks Coach, and sorry for the doubt.

I still don't understand why everyone is giving Snyder such a hard time about taking so long to make a decision.

How often do you get a chance to interview, and gain valuable insight, into the minds of the best assistants in the league and the their coaching styles and ideals? This is a form of legal insider information at its best without violating the leagues anti-tampering rules. Part of my job involves conducting lengthy job interviews. People that are looking for a job, especially a promotion and big pay raise, will tell you anything you want to know.

Trust me, I am not a huge Snyder fan, but give the man some credit. The superbowl was only a week ago, some of these people weren't available to interview until Monday.

Archived