Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bill Walsh's WCO Coaching Tree - Connecting The Dots

TK

Walsh_Coaching_Tree3.GIF

As you can see here, our boy Fossil is a direct descendant from Walsh's tree. :paranoid:

But so is Mike Holgren. And from his tree, you get guys like Blanche, Zorn, & Mooch.

To get to Meeks, you have to go from Walsh to Denny 'They are who we thought they are!' Green to Tony Dungy.

At this point, while I have nothing against Meeks, it just looks like there is to much distance to connect him to the Zorn/Blanche deal.

You could connect Spags to Andy Reid from the Holgren tree, but I just don't see Dan going with a defensive coach with Blanche in tow.

Mooch looks like the direct connection here, but I still wouldn't rule out Norv-Lite. I mean Fossil. Err....Fassel.

21, did you add John Harbaugh? It's definitely a new addition to that particular graphic and clearly the font type is different. Mike Smith, as well. Must be awesome to be classified under Billick. :doh:

I would like to know Gruden and McCarthy's relation to hacket, because both were coaches under Holmgren.

Dungy often gets put under the Marty --> Cowher tree, but he's said himself he took the Tampa 2 defense from the Chuck Noll 70's Steelers defenses.

As you can see here, our boy Fossil is a direct descendant from Walsh's tree. :paranoid:

But so is Mike Holgren. And from his tree, you get guys like Blanche, Zorn, & Mooch.

Nice work. I've always wondered why this is called the Bill Walsh coaching tree. Paul Brown invented the WCO system and each of the guys who came after tweaked it. So why does Walsh almost always get the credit and not Brown?

Nice work. I've always wondered why this is called the Bill Walsh coaching tree. Paul Brown invented the WCO system and each of the guys who came after tweaked it. So why does Walsh almost always get the credit and not Brown?

Because Brown had Walsh design his offenses starting the year before the "invention" of the WCO.

Walsh was I believe a WR coach for the Bengals and started off with an aerial attack offense, but they're Qb was injured. The next Qb didn't have quite the same arm and Walsh came up with a 3 step drop, quick passing, timing based offense that is what we now refer to as the WCO.

There is a post somewhere on the board with a link to the history of the WCO and it gives a pretty good explanation.

I just thought of a great game. Six degrees of separation--NFL head coach edition.

Pretty much what it is.:laugh:

You know, if Dan was REALLY all about the Benjamins, he'd have turned Coach Search 2008* into a weekly reality TV show.:laugh:

*Coach Search 2008 copyrighted by 21. Dan, call me if want to use the rights to it. I'm sure we can work something out.

I just thought of a great game. Six degrees of separation--NFL head coach edition.
Steve Mariucci was a coach of Brett Favre in 1992.

Brett Favre was in Something About Mary (1998) with Matt Dillon.

Matt Dillion was in Lover Boy (2005) with Kevin Bacon.

(Jim Fassel could easily be linked to Mooch, but I'll choose a more challenging route. ;) )

Jim Fassel's second coaching gig was as an assistant coach at Stanford where he coached John Elway.

John Elway was in Resurrecting the Camp (2007) with Dale Dye.

Dale Dye was in JFK (1991) with Kevin Bacon.

Steve Spagnuolo was an assistant to Jim Johnson in Philly.

Jim Johnson was the DC for Andy Reid.

Andy Reid coached Brett Favre at Green Bay.

Steve Mariucci was a coach of Brett Favre in 1992.

(Jim Fassel could easily be linked to Mooch, but I'll choose a more challenging route. ;) )

Jim Fassel's second coaching gig was as an assistant coach at Stanford where he coached John Elway.

John Elway was in Resurrecting the Camp (2007) with Dale Dye.

Dale Dye was in JFK (1991) with Kevin Bacon.

Steve Spagnuolo was an assistant to Jim Johnson in Philly.

Jim Johnson was the DC for Andy Reid.

Andy Reid coached Brett Favre at Green Bay.

800px-Choco_chip_cookie.jpg

Archived