Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Left End??(Julius Peppers)?????

lilty1975

Once again this is your boy checking in from Iraq. I have a question I hope somebody can help me. We need somebody to come from the Left End because Carter comes from the right end. I'm not sure about this so don't bust my b**** if I'm way off, but isn't Julius Peppers a free agent this year, I know he was hurt last year but I still think he is a great DE. I would rather pay money for him then money for Ashanti Sameuls. The reason I say that becasue there is no such thing as a shut down corner. If you get enough pressure on the QB any cornerback can succeed. Most of you guys on here are good with stats, so will our cap issue prevent us from pulling the signing of JP off, or do you think the panther's will franchise him?? Well I have my flak jacket and helmet on so fire away :laugh:

Greg Blache recently mentioned his philosophy is starting with strong cover corners. I'm not surre if this precludes going after a DE in free agency but I would think the Skins would likely look at Assante Samuel or Marcus Trufant before Peppers if Blache's statement holds water.

Not sure on his FA status but after a sub par year there he may have gone down in price...And as we all know the "cap" is just a word to Danny and his merry money men! They can do what they want with the money for anyone they want bad enough to make the "cap" work! I like the Idea of Peppers...You get him you upgrade your line significantly with one move! People always overlook the fact that unlike Freeney, Peppers is a stud against the run as well. He's a great player who had a down year. That whole team struggled this year...I'd love to have that freak in DC...Keep your head down over there buddy! Thoughts and prayers are with you and the rest of brothers and sisters in arms over there!

I think he has 1 year left and a $14 million cap hit, whther released or not, he's not in our budget, he'll want Freeney type cash.

After the year he had he likely won't be able to demand that since there are other DEs out there to be had who were more productive and still young. Not sure what they'll do with him. They may either ask him to restructure his contract so he doesn't cost as much or see if they can get a good trade for him. If he was put on the trading block I'd definitely be all for checking it out. His down year could be a blessing in disguise if he ends up being available for a trade.

Peppers isn't a FA.

Stay safe over there and Gob bless.

I'm learning the ropes here, but you are right here is something I just found on-line:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/nfl/freeagentsDL.html

Jared Allen, UFA, Kansas City Chiefs

Allen’s sack total dropped in ’06, but he still posted 7.5 and raised his tackle total a good deal. In ’07, he has returned to form with 13.5 sacks and three forced fumbles and been a stellar player on a poor team. He’s just 25 years of age, and has shown that he is among the league’s best at his position. He’ll be a high priority for several teams once the signing period opens.

Albert Haynesworth, UFA, Tennessee Titans

Haynesworth came into the season determined to have a great year and he showed up. He has six sacks, 40 tackles, and he has constantly applied pressure up the middle— allowing other defensive linemen to have an even greater impact themselves. While quarterback Vince Young struggled for much of the season, Haynesworth led a defensive unit that contributed significantly to the Titans potential playoff run. The Titans will find it hard to let Haynesworth leave via free agency, as it would create a sizable hole to fill. The defensive tackle will command big dollars on the market.

Justin Smith, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals

Smith is an intriguing player. He’s consistent, experienced, and has a powerful motor. With 81 total tackles and 7.5 sacks in ’06, Smith showed that he was a high level end, and that he was coming into his own as a defensive leader on the Bengals. He’s been unable to have similar success this season, with just two sacks to go with his 75 total tackles. It doesn’t help that the defense around him has been porous. He won’t command elite dollars, but he could be valuable to a handful of teams and may find a suitor willing to open the checkbook a little bit.

Terrell Suggs, UFA, Baltimore Ravens

Suggs is somewhat versatile and has become a volatile opposing presence for offenses. He has the ability to play at the linebacker spot and also attack from the line at the end spot. He has grown into a top pass rusher and presents match-up problems for most teams. He was near or above double digit sack totals in each of his first four seasons with eight being his career low until this season—he has just five. He is still a true talent and will attract some large offers from various teams, but Baltimore will do everything they can to sign him to an extension, especially considering that he recently turned just 25 years of age.

Mike Rucker, UFA, Carolina Panthers

Rucker is talented, there’s no doubt about that. But just how talented may be extremely debatable. He has had the benefit of playing alongside one of the league’s best defensive players in Julius Peppers. Peppers is having a down year, and so is Rucker. There is probably a connection, but Rucker may still be pursued by several teams. While Rucker has posted just three sacks on the season, he’s had as many as twelve sacks in a season previously, and he posted five sacks last season. His play—at least numbers-wise—has tailed off in recent seasons, but if a team is convinced that he can return to form somehow, he might get a decent contract offer.

Tommy Kelly UFA Oakland Raiders

The Raiders may work to extend Kelly’s contract, but the team is also giving other players a shot at challenging for the starter’s role next season. Kelly was a solid presence through seven games, before suffering a season ending torn ACL. There’s a chance that Oakland lets Kelly walk over injury concerns and as they shift talent and bring in new talent. Kelly would have brought strong interest from some teams, but with his injury, only a few teams will likely be serious about acquiring him.

Corey Williams, UFA, Green Bay Packers

A starting defensive tackle for a rejuvenated and strong Green Bay team, Williams has helped the Packers become one of the better defensive units around. Williams has been able to tally seven sacks—matching his 2006 total—along with 32 total tackles and three forced fumbles. He has been very disruptive and will receive very strong interest as a free agent this upcoming offseason. Other Free Agent Defensive Linemen

Jordan Carstens UFA Carolina Panthers

Ebenezer Ekuban UFA Denver Broncos

Sam Rayburn UFA San Francisco 49ers

Paul Spicer UFA Jacksonville Jaguars

Randy Starks UFA Tennessee Titans

Renaldo Wynn UFA Washington Redskins

I hope this is how you do this. So who looks good off this list, and you think will not come with a healthy price?

After the year he had he likely won't be able to demand that since there are other DEs out there to be had who were more productive and still young. Not sure what they'll do with him. They may either ask him to restructure his contract so he doesn't cost as much or see if they can get a good trade for him. If he was put on the trading block I'd definitely be all for checking it out. His down year could be a blessing in disguise if he ends up being available for a trade.

Regardless of his "off year", he will demand Freeney money 10 million a year. Someone will pay it, and I don't think we can.

Rucker, Ekuban, and Spicer are all good lineman. I'm just not sure any new D-Line will fit in with Blache's philosophy of strong cover corners. The problem there is, with that philosophy, blitzing may be the only way to get pressure on a QB. Or maybe he will just rush with the front 4...idk. If he does that then we definitely do need a more talented D-Line.

Stay Safe!! :notworthy

If we could get one of these guys it would make a huge impact.. Expecially Allen. the guy is a beast !!! and I had no idea he was that young. I think he hates playing for KC. He would look so good in a Skins uni..

Allen’s sack total dropped in ’06, but he still posted 7.5 and raised his tackle total a good deal. In ’07, he has returned to form with 13.5 sacks and three forced fumbles and been a stellar player on a poor team. He’s just 25 years of age, and has shown that he is among the league’s best at his position. He’ll be a high priority for several teams once the signing period opens.

Haynesworth came into the season determined to have a great year and he showed up. He has six sacks, 40 tackles, and he has constantly applied pressure up the middle— allowing other defensive linemen to have an even greater impact themselves. While quarterback Vince Young struggled for much of the season, Haynesworth led a defensive unit that contributed significantly to the Titans potential playoff run. The Titans will find it hard to let Haynesworth leave via free agency, as it would create a sizable hole to fill. The defensive tackle will command big dollars on the market.

Smith is an intriguing player. He’s consistent, experienced, and has a powerful motor. With 81 total tackles and 7.5 sacks in ’06, Smith showed that he was a high level end, and that he was coming into his own as a defensive leader on the Bengals. He’s been unable to have similar success this season, with just two sacks to go with his 75 total tackles. It doesn’t help that the defense around him has been porous. He won’t command elite dollars, but he could be valuable to a handful of teams and may find a suitor willing to open the checkbook a little bit.

Suggs is somewhat versatile and has become a volatile opposing presence for offenses. He has the ability to play at the linebacker spot and also attack from the line at the end spot. He has grown into a top pass rusher and presents match-up problems for most teams. He was near or above double digit sack totals in each of his first four seasons with eight being his career low until this season—he has just five. He is still a true talent and will attract some large offers from various teams, but Baltimore will do everything they can to sign him to an extension, especially considering that he recently turned just 25 years of age.

Listening to alot of sports talk radio out of Charlotte the opinion during the season was that Peppers is not well...meaning that their is something physically wrong with him that is being kept hush-hush....Probably BS, but he had a terrible year. He is often lethargic on the field.

If we could get one of these guys it would make a huge impact.. Expecially Allen. the guy is a beast !!! and I had no idea he was that young. I think he hates playing for KC. He would look so good in a Skins uni..

All four of these guys would be great pickups but I don't see any of them going anywhere. Jared Allen will likely be franchised if they can't come to a contract agreement, same with Haynseworth...the guy is like godzilla at DT, but he has obvious character concerns (I still can't get over his stomping on the face thing). The Ravens have pretty much said they are going to do whatever they can to keep Suggs, so my guess is he could see a franchise tag too. Smith I could see possibly getting a whif of true FA air, but he is also older than the other guys and the least talented. He is stout against the run but isn't a big time pass rusher. I would consider him but I wouldn't break the bank for him.

Listening to alot of sports talk radio out of Charlotte the opinion during the season was that Peppers is not well...meaning that their is something physically wrong with him that is being kept hush-hush....Probably BS, but he had a terrible year. He is often lethargic on the field.

Something physically wrong with him sports-wise, or a health concern?

The Chiefs have come out and said that Allen is going to be franchised...I would LOVE to get him, but I really think that there is no chance of that happening. I would also love to get Haynesworth, but he'll likely be franchised as well. If we're going to get a DE, it would be in the next tier of FA's. As previously said, I see us going after Corner help before D-line, but we'll see...the line is getting older, aside from Montgomery and Golston. That all being said, most of the mock drafts have us taking the DE from Miami, who is a beast.

If we can get Smith without overpaying, I would say do it. One of my best friends is a Bengals fan, so I watch a lot of their games and root for them in the AFC. I think Smith is a quality, Redskins-style player that would perform better with us. His numbers have fallen, as the paragraph said, due to the HORRIBLE Defense around him. But with a good LB core, and a decent secondary, he should do very well.

The price on Peppers will not go down due to this past year. He'll command more money than Freeney and rightfully so. He's a better player. He can stop the run and rush the passer, which is something most pure pass rushers cannot do. The Panthers will be resigning him.

Julius Peppers???---yeah let's grab guys at the end of their careers, since it worked so well at the beginning of this decade?

How exactly is he at (or remotely near) the end of his career?

Archived