Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Predict the Redskins 2008 Season thread game (with rules)

Walking Deadman

1/29/08: I see this team being 5-11 next year. I see a lot of turmoil, confusion, and dissention in the ranks of the players AND the coaches. Especially in the later portions of the season as rumors of Snyder courting some big name head coach begin to appear in the news.

4/28/08: Now that we're on the backside of the Free Agency period and the NFL Draft, I have to change my opinion. I see this team being 4-12 this coming year. Significant weaknesses along the O-Line, D-Line and in the Defensive Backfield have not been dealt with. One or two injuries, which we're good for every year, and this team will be drafting in the Top 5 next year.

1/29/2008

11-5

We were better than our record this past season, now it's time to show the rest of the NFL what we are all about. Although Coach Gibbs isn't our coach anymore, the franchise will continue on the track he has put them on. We are keeping a lot of his assistants, and some of the defensive assistants as well. This team will enter the 2008 season hungry, watch out NFC.

1/29/08: 6-10 - The emotional push is over, and the inevitable loss of both talent and depth due to the cap situation will couple with what is bound to be a rocky start for a coach who won't get to pick his coordinators and will be stuck trying to take over a ship that just saw its captain jump overboard and first mate pushed off the plank.

1/29/2008

5-11. I have no confidence that this team will be able to gel around each-other with the total upheaval of the coaching staff. They have worked hard together, worked through some mis-understandings and were heading in the right direction.

I have a strong feeling that we will see many Redskins regulars requesting departure to other teams in the off season. The Skins will be pretty un-recognizable by the first pre-season game.

Two paths:

The smart coach who rebuilds path.

The delusional this team can contend next year path.

Rebuild Path:

All the following gone over next two years, many next year: Daniels, Springs, Kendall, Thomas, Jansen, Springs, Pucillo, Wade, Washington, Griffin, Fletcher. This means younger guys playing, initial talent drop-off, major growing pains, if we draft smart, contender 2-3 years. Let back-ups start till Rogers and McIntosh return, even if that's a year.

7-9 to 8-8, Assuming we don't drop dumb games, as we have last--well since Snyder bought team.

We can contend:

9-7 to 10-6. More whining about how 2 injured 30-something linemen, whichever two it is, is bad luck rather than poor management. Smurf receivers who can' produce when it counts--in the redzone. Moss out 1/3 season with hamstrings, loses 1-2 games by not showing up, losing balls in light, etc. Portis injured again, or shows up out of shape, resulting in diminished production 1/4 or more of season. Springs used sparingly due to injury. . .

Just miss playoffs, or enter as 6th seed and lose in 1st round. But we'll get 'em next year, even though our line is even older, and we still have no pass rush. . .

01/29/08

prediction as of today: 6-10

brand new offense to learn, might not have all the right personel, campbell might struggle, plus we dont have any big receiver at the moment, and im not a big fan of our WR depth.

defense seems to have continuity, but doughty isnt a starter, daniels is a year older, mcintosh and rogers might not come back at full health, and springs is getting older and just had surgery on his wrist.

on top of this, we have no idea who were going to lose or upgrade. so 6-10 is my prediction.

4/28/08

prediction as of today 8-8

reading more over the last 3 months, i dont think the transition to WCO is going to be as tough as i once thought. most of our current guys seem to have had experience in the offense before, so it shouldnt be that complicated. we just added 3 receiving threats and a fresh G from the draft, so our O (depending on campbell) should be leaps and bounds better this season.

defense is roughly the same, although i feel a little better about rocky returning from injury, and i heard rogers was getting out on the field so im sure he'll be back mid season. we drafted another CB who can probably contribute with springs/smoot so i feel better about that. chris wilson is the key to the Dline, hopefully he bulks up and can be a bigger contributor now that daniels is 78 years old.

we didnt lose anybody in FA, we maintained our backup QB, added a KR in mathis, and lost Blloyd which is a good thing. also, drafting that punter, should he actually be good, will really help with field position.

i still think we will struggle against good teams. id like to see more dominance at times out of this group.

1/28/2008 : 10 - 6. Start off slow and come on strong saving the season at the end of the year... again. New system wont be prolific but it will be effective.
i will say 6-10 i believe the skins will start out well and the new coaches will bring new hope, that is until other teams figure them out and beat them, then joe gibbs will be missed he knew how to make players play up to par, can the new coaches do this or will the players just quit playing? we do know the giants will be better than they were earlier this year, the cowboys should be better with new running back and reciever, and coaches, the eagles we dont know about but they can beat any team in the division if they decide to. so i believe that the skins will battle the eagles for the cellar.

Home: Dallas, N.Y. Giants, Philadelphia, Arizona, St. Louis, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, New Orleans

Away: Dallas, N.Y. Giants, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Detroit

12-4 :logo:

Crow is served on a stick at FedEx Field.

9-7. That schedule could potentially be pretty tough. I think the defense steps up big (LANDRY is gonna light it up) time and our offense struggles early, but find a rhythm by week 6 and get hot in the middle of the season to get in wild card position.

I think we stay with the personnel we have signed so far, and go for the draft hard core with OL and DL and DB, maybe a late WR.for Buges and co. to coach up. Maybe pick up a couple FA's later than usual and get some bargains.

Depending on the HC, I'd give us +1 or -1 on the win/loss record. 10-6 if the made the right decisions. I'm not gonna jinx myself just yet w/predicting who the HC is. I know how I want and think it will be, but can't say it yet. :D

Two paths:

The smart coach who rebuilds path.

The delusional this team can contend next year path.

Rebuild Path:

All the following gone over next two years, many next year: Daniels, Springs, Kendall, Thomas, Jansen, Springs, Pucillo, Wade, Washington, Griffin, Fletcher. This means younger guys playing, initial talent drop-off, major growing pains, if we draft smart, contender 2-3 years. Let back-ups start till Rogers and McIntosh return, even if that's a year.

7-9 to 8-8, Assuming we don't drop dumb games, as we have last--well since Snyder bought team.

We can contend:

9-7 to 10-6. More whining about how 2 injured 30-something linemen, whichever two it is, is bad luck rather than poor management. Smurf receivers who can' produce when it counts--in the redzone. Moss out 1/3 season with hamstrings, loses 1-2 games by not showing up, losing balls in light, etc. Portis injured again, or shows up out of shape, resulting in diminished production 1/4 or more of season. Springs used sparingly due to injury. . .

Just miss playoffs, or enter as 6th seed and lose in 1st round. But we'll get 'em next year, even though our line is even older, and we still have no pass rush. . .

wow, kind of a tough choice, cuz all you have to do is make the playoffs

to get a shot at the big game. Giants prove that, Steelers proved that.

I guess I would rather take less risk and win some in the immediate future and hope we make a deep run, than put all my eggs into the JC WCO basket of the future on younger unproven talent. Great question though.

Maybe 6-10 ... I don't feel good about the defensive changes that have been made ... namely Gregg Williams being let go. I also don't believe in Jason Campbell. I am willing to be made a believer, but if I am being honest with myself I gotta believe things are going to be too good next year.

HTTR

• 3 weeks later...

1st entry: 10-6 5th seed

Wins: Cowboys (by 13), Eagles (by 9), Giants (by 4), Cards (by 10), Rams (by 4), Browns (by 6), 49ers (by 17), Lions (by 13), Bengals (by 3), Saints (by 12)

Losses: Giants (by 7), Eagles (by 9), Steelers (by 10), Cowboys (by 8), Seahawks (by 2), Ravens (by 3)

1/28/08=13-3 Homefield Advantage

This team deals well with adversity, and they have plenty of that right now.

2/14/08=13-2-1 Homefield Advantage

Changed my mind....Tie instead of a loss in Seattle because of Zorn.

4/28/08=14-2 Homefield Advantage

Its been a long time since they had such a good draft.

Archived