Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rotoworld: Redskins could wait for Spagnuolo

slinky

"The Redskins reportedly want to talk to Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo about their head coaching job.

The Redskins reportedly told Jim Fassel they would make a decision on their new head coach in the next two days, but they'd have to wait until after the Super Bowl to talk to Spagnuolo. Gregg Williams remains in the mix. Spagnuolo has also garnered interest from the Falcons, who have put their search on hold until they can speak with him. Jan. 22 - 2:10 pm et "

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=131&line=111813&spln=1

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2008/01/22/2008-01-22_falcons_waiting_for_steve_spagnuolo.html

if true... could be a while before DS decides.

I've said repeatedly that I want to retain GW as head coach, and AS as the OC.

If we don't do that, though, then a guy like Spaguolo is precisely the kind of candidate I'd want. If you're going to go a new direction, go a new direction. You can't say you're doing that with a retread like Fassel.

If we don't do that, though, then a guy like Spaguolo is precisely the kind of candidate I'd want. If you're going to go a new direction, go a new direction. You can't say you're doing that with a retread like Fassel.

exactly spot on i am not a big fan of GW or fassel so if Dan really wants to go in a new direction Spagnuolo is the way to go

I agree with Redman. I'd rather wait two weeks to find out Spag is the new HC than hear tomorrow that it's Fassel.

Danny has always been impatient. This will show if he has in fact changed.

maybe that is the virtue gibbs taught danny, and that could also be the reason gibbs went to NC today...Dan said he wants to wait until after the Super bowl to hire the new HC because he wants Spags

Redman, you echoed my sentiments exactly.

I'll puke and scream simultaneously if it's Fassel, but I can live with Spagnuolo

Even so, I think it is pretty bad to rip the rug out from under GW with another Defensive Cord. At this point it looks like house cleaning and another few years of subpar football.

Even so, I think it is pretty bad to rip the rug out from under GW with another Defensive Cord. At this point it looks like house cleaning and another few years of subpar football.

Let's be clear here - if Spagnuolo (or for that matter, Mora or Meeks) was hired, that necessarily means that GW is gone. He wouldn't stick around while another defensive-oriented head coach takes over his turf on this team, nor should he.

Let's be clear here - if Spagnuolo (or for that matter, Mora or Meeks) was hired, that necessarily means that GW is gone. He wouldn't stick around while another defensive-oriented head coach takes over his turf on this team, nor should he.

That is what I was trying to say, it must have come out wrong.

JLC's initial reaction to the Gibbs retirement press conference was that there would be a bloodletting...and everyone thought he was nuts at the time, including me.

Maybe he's the only one who nailed this thing. Sure, he later got on board with the idea that it would be Williams, but that's what all indications began pointing to. But maybe his initial instinct was spot-on.

QFT! :applause: :applause:

Hopefully Spagnulo can give us a dominating defense line. That's one thing that's always pissed me off about Williams, the Redskins D was easy to beat if your protection was good enough to handle the blitz. If it was, well then the Redskins were in a bind and there only way out was constantly making plays in man coverage.

Archived