Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Snyder Should Bring in a GM (Examiner Opinion, Rick Snider)

#98QBKiller

Nothing we don't already know, but a good article nonetheless

http://www.examiner.com/a-1158269~Snyder_should_bring_in_a_GM.html

Snyder should bring in a GM

WASHINGTON -

Owner Dan Snyder’s belief that the Washington Redskins don’t need a general manager based on “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” makes me want to wretch.

Give the man credit, he’s never short on confidence — just a little low on reality.

Seriously, the prospect of Snyder and vice president of whatever Vinny Cerrato once again managing the draft, free agency and salary cap sans a coach with major pull is the next sign of an apocalyptic breakdown of a team good enough to make the playoffs. Whenever a past coach was strong enough to pull up the nose on this perpetual roller coaster, Snyder and Cerrato conspired to spiral it back to the black hole it seemingly cannot escape.

Excuse me while I shiver over the prospect of Snyder trading his picks for aging veterans once more. Or burning another hole in the salary cap already $21 million over next season. Maybe he can even trade picks for a bust like receiver Brandon Lloyd. The list of mistakes has become too long to repeat.

Just when this team escapes mediocrity, they pull it back in.

To be fair, free agency has been largely better in recent years versus the reckless spending of 2000-03. They did a good job finding reserves who came through last season. The Redskins’ recent drafts have been productive for the few selections they’ve kept. Ten picks from the last four drafts are with the team plus slain safety Sean Taylor. Snyder and Co. found some gems beyond the first round. Chris Cooley was a great third-rounder. Anthony Montgomery, Reed Doughty and Kedric Golston in the fifth and sixth rounds of 2006 was the best second-day stretch they’ve managed. H.B. Blades in the sixth last year is promising.

Some of the credit goes to former coach Joe Gibbs bolstering the scouting staff. Some goes to the coaching staff’s input and a little falls to Snyder.

But what will Snyder and Cerrato do now that Gibbs doesn’t hold clout in the war room? Do they show patience and not overspend or waste picks moving up in the draft? Do they return to the compulsion of early offseasons when breaking payroll records while getting the worst victories versus dollars spent return in the NFL?

Will the new coach enthusiastically let them mortgage the franchise once more like Steve Spurrier unwittingly did? If the new guy isn’t assistant head coach Gregg Williams, the incoming coach won’t know the long-term ramifications nor will he care because it’s either win now or get fired.

It’s maddening when a superb GM like former Tennessee boss Floyd Reese is available and Snyder and Cerrato are making the picks. Reese barely missed on even late-round choices while the Redskins are grateful when their first-rounders aren’t busts. There are many sharp young execs who could help this team. Snyder needs to take a chance and hire one.

Saying the front office “ain’t broke” shows no creativity. Then again, why should we expect otherwise?

Rick Snider has covered local sports since 1978. Contact him at rsnider@dcexaminer.com.

Examiner

I agree with his point except for the Gibbs part. I've read so many quotes from Gibbs that lends me to believe that if anything Gibbs actually bought into Dan's style and gave it credibility.

I don't recall quotes from Gibbs about how the draft is everything and he believes in getting younger as opposed to acquiring veterans.

Quite the opposite: its well known the Gibbs LOVES veterans. LOVES FA and has said multiple times that the draft is a crap shoot.

He was Cerrato's biggest fan at least publicly and has been the team's biggest defender when it comes to the FO and off season moves.

Heck I don't recall him even talking about the team's FO making mistakes until his final press conference.

Brandon Lloyd, TJ Duckett trades, Archuleta signing, etc at least from what I read from the accounts of the transactions they weren't Snyders ideas that were foisted on Gibbs.

Love Gibbs, love him as a coach, and I think he was learning as his said in the press conference about personnel mistakes. But I don't see any evidence how Gibbs was reining in Snyder's worst impulses. Since quick fixes, signing veterans, trading draft picks for established players all seem to be the hall mark of Gibbs' philosophy, too.

If anything if they get a coach who is involved in the process like Gibbs was -- things are more likely to get better. Because just about everything I read indicated that Gibbs was one of the rare people in the NFL who AGREES WITH Snyder fast food style of building a team.

Having said all that, I got the feeling that Gibbs and for that matter Snyder were starting to learn that it doesn't work so hopefully that carries over.

Typical bashing by the agenda driven pigs in the media.

I like how he gives snyder a little credit for the good moves and basically all the blame for the bad ones.

was it snyder's idea to trade for Lloyd and duckett?...did he want brunell, archuleta, etc?...these were all gibbs and williams moves...snyder simply pulled the trigger on them.

Snyder is one of the best owners in the NFL.

Snyder is one of the best owners in the NFL.

No, he's one of the worst. If by "best" you mean willing to spend money, sure he's the "best". If by best you mean results, he's one of the worst. There is no owner in the NFL who has gotten less return for money spent than Snyder.

No, he's one of the worst. If by "best" you mean willing to spend money, sure he's the "best". If by best you mean results, he's one of the worst. There is no owner in the NFL who has gotten less return for money spent than Snyder.

I still think more of the blame falls on the coaches and players, however. Snyder doesn't play that big a role (anymore) once the season is underway. The Redskins have had talent for the most part during Snyder's tenure, that's Snyder's job.

Snyder's job is to put the best possible coaches and players on the field...he's done that....it's not his fault we've blown more halftime leads then any team in the league.

people who judge him on results are very narrow minded.....I guess trent dilfer is better then dan marino because he's won a superbowl and marino hasn't.

Snyder also has the team 21 mil over the cap, the only team mind you. What players can we really get if every year we have to restructure 6 or 8 players. A even half decent FO wouldn't allow that, we seem t be the only team that can't just naturally stay under the cap.

I guess you'll have to judge Snyder now, the way people are going to judge Jason Campbell, see what he does next season. In Snyder's case, it's already next season and the hiring of a new HC, draft picks and any FA acquisitions will determine how he's judged. It's wait and see.

Can't argue with this writer...if things revert back to the "Dan & Vinny" show again within 3 years we'll be drafting in the top 5 again (and it won't be because we made a deal to move up).

We need either a GM or a strong Head Coach who will tell both of these guys to sit down and shut up when it is called for.

arizona and detroit have GM's....how is that working out?

the patriots and cowboys don't have GM's...how's that working out?..especially for the pats.

regarding being 21 mil over the cap...the reason snyder is such a great owner is that he's willing to spend cash over cap...most owners aren't willing to do that....stop being brainwashed by the media...don't you see that they hate snyder and will misrepresent just about any issue to make him look bad.

how many years now have we listened to this cap hell stuff...has it ever happened?...NO...not only hasn't it happened, but we go out and sign a few quality free agents.

arizona and detroit have GM's....how is that working out?

the patriots and cowboys don't have GM's...how's that working out?..especially for the pats.

regarding being 21 mil over the cap...the reason snyder is such a great owner is that he's willing to spend cash over cap...most owners aren't willing to do that....stop being brainwashed by the media...don't you see that they hate snyder and will misrepresent just about any issue to make him look bad.

how many years now have we listened to this cap hell stuff...has it ever happened?...NO...not only hasn't it happened, but we go out and sign a few quality free agents.

If you fail to realize that Dan Snyder's personnel decisions have almost exclusively affected this team negatively since sometime after Gibbs 1st run, then you are brainwashed by Danny and his stubborness.

1) scott pioli isn't the GM

2) belichek has major say in the personnel.

to say pioli is a better talent evaluator then vinny is fine...your argument then should be that we need a better talent evaluator, not necessarily a GM.

3) I'm not brainwashed by anything....I look at the facts....the real facts...not the media generated facts.

Quite the opposite: its well known the Gibbs LOVES veterans. LOVES FA and has said multiple times that the draft is a crap shoot.

Brandon Lloyd, TJ Duckett trades, Archuleta signing, etc at least from what I read from the accounts of the transactions they weren't Snyders ideas that were foisted on Gibbs.

I don't know of any "aging veterans" Snyder supposedly traded for prior to Gibbs. - Coles was 25, Matt Bowen 26, Trung Canidate (a Spurrier must-have) 25.

Some reporters need to do more homework before writing.

I don't know of any "aging veterans" Snyder supposedly traded for prior to Gibbs. - Coles was 25, Matt Bowen 26, Trung Canidate (a Spurrier must-have) 25.

Some reporters need to do more homework before writing.

They weren't trades but they were aging wastes of money on Snyder's part:

Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders, Jeff George to name a few.

bruce smith, deion and jeff george were all in his first year as owner....everyone, including snyder agrees that was a mistake.....all the snyder haters keep going back to that.....you have nothing since then.

the last move he clearly made on his own was trotter....trotter was a young prow bowl linebacker...he came here and stunk...went back to philly and was a pro bowler again...now is that snyder's fault?...or is it the coaching staffs fault?

bruce smith, deion and jeff george were all in his first year as owner....everyone, including snyder agrees that was a mistake.....all the snyder haters keep going back to that.....you have nothing since then.

the last move he clearly made on his own was trotter....trotter was a young prow bowl linebacker...he came here and stunk...went back to philly and was a pro bowler again...now is that snyder's fault?...or is it the coaching staffs fault?

What do you mean we have nothing since then?

If we had a solid GM/head of personnel evaluations/WhateverYouWantToCallIt the coaches would've had someone with enough sense to say:

"Hey maybe we shouldn't blow all of this money/these draft picks on bums like Adam Archuleta, Brandon Lloyd, TJ Duckett etc. and maybe we should keep inexpensive solid help on the roster like Ryan Clark, Antonio Pierce, and David Patten."

Archived