Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could the players holdout?

PosseLover

I've read a lot of news about "Who will be our next coach"? And, I have read that the players hope D Snyder practices Coach Gibbs philosophy of continuity and stability and promote GW head coach. My concern is Snyder's ego (wanting the BIG hire) If a new coach comes in and cleans house...I'm afraid all of the players would start a mutiny...considering they'd have a new bunch of plays to learn and possible cuts or trades of key players...how many might demand to be traded? Could it be possible our beloved Redskins becoming the next 1-15 team?

I'm about to have an anxiety attack just thinking all of this stuff. :(

:logo: RIP S.M.T :point2sky

Guest Rafterman
I've read a lot of news about "Who will be our next coach"? And, I have read that the players hope D Snyder practices Coach Gibbs philosophy of continuity and stability and promote GW head coach. My concern is Snyder's ego (wanting the BIG hire) If a new coach comes in and cleans house...I'm afraid all of the players would start a mutiny...considering they'd have a new bunch of plays to learn and possible cuts or trades of key players...how many might demand to be traded? Could it be possible our beloved Redskins becoming the next 1-15 team?

ROFLMAO!

Just like the Steelers did when Whisenhut or Grimm didn't replace Cowher. :rolleyes:

1. I don't think the players will hold out.

2. Can't really compare this to the Steelers. KW/RG had no head coaching experience. Even if Snyder does bring in an outsider, you can bet it would be someone with NFL Head coaching experience and some who has had success at the NFL level. He knows he is really close here with this team and I don't think he wants to take a step backwords by hiring a college or inexperienced coach to come in and change everything. IMO

... Even if Snyder does bring in an outsider, you can bet it would be someone with NFL Head coaching experience and some who has had success at the NFL level. He knows he is really close here with this team and I don't think he wants to take a step backwords by hiring a college or inexperienced coach to come in and change everything. IMO

I agree with most of the comments made on this thread, and especially with point #2 by Jacoby6644. I think DS has learned not to go the college route, given the Spurrier disaster, and with similar failed experiments recently in Atlanta and Miami (Saban).

Call me naive, but I also believe that DS actually prefers winning a Super Bowl over the glamor that a big name coach would bring to his bank account (he already has PLENTY of money from the Redskins, Six Flags, the sale of his communications business, etc.). Again, think: Spurrier.

I agree with Jacoby that "we're close". I think with the team that Gibbs built over the last 4 years, to bring someone in brand new and have them "clean house" and dismantle the existing team would destroy the morale of the players who would remain. And, I could see years and years of losing records again.

It makes sense to me, then, that Gregg Williams would then be hired as the new head coach. He appears to have the support of the players, and while he would do things "his" way, I think he's also learned a lot under Coach Gibbs.

One more thing before people start flaming me: My sense after re-watching the press conference is that DS, as he said, didn't have time at that point to consider too heavily candidates for the head coach position, but more importantly, even if he felt that Gregg Williams is the only real choice, he needed to play the "we-haven't-started-the-process-yet" broken record statements so as not to get himself in trouble with the NFL.

Okay. Flame away! :)

I agree with most of the comments made on this thread, and especially with point #2 by Jacoby6644. I think DS has learned not to go the college route, given the Spurrier disaster, and with similar failed experiments recently in Atlanta and Miami (Saban).

Call me naive, but I also believe that DS actually prefers winning a Super Bowl over the glamor that a big name coach would bring to his bank account (he already has PLENTY of money from the Redskins, Six Flags, the sale of his communications business, etc.). Again, think: Spurrier.

I agree with Jacoby that "we're close". I think with the team that Gibbs built over the last 4 years, to bring someone in brand new and have them "clean house" and dismantle the existing team would destroy the morale of the players who would remain. And, I could see years and years of losing records again.

It makes sense to me, then, that Gregg Williams would then be hired as the new head coach. He appears to have the support of the players, and while he would do things "his" way, I think he's also learned a lot under Coach Gibbs.

One more thing before people start flaming me: My sense after re-watching the press conference is that DS, as he said, didn't have time at that point to consider too heavily candidates for the head coach position, but more importantly, even if he felt that Gregg Williams is the only real choice, he needed to play the "we-haven't-started-the-process-yet" broken record statements so as not to get himself in trouble with the NFL.

Okay. Flame away! :)

Good post...BUT if you hire from within...there is no process. No rules that have to be met and no possibility of tampering :2cents:

Good post...BUT if you hire from within...there is no process. No rules that have to be met and no possibility of tampering :2cents:

That's not exactly accurate. You still have to go through the process laid out by the Rooney Rule, UNLESS an assistant has a clause in his contract that says he will be promoted when the head coach retires.

Now, does GW's contract say that? Not exactly. So, I think the FO is going to go through the entire process. And they probably explained that to GW already.

That's about to happen in a script I am writing for a movie to be broadcast on ESPN Deportes.

(I think I liked it better when everyone was coming up with new and ridiculous ways to mourn Sean Taylor as of thinking new and ridiculous coaching scenarios).

Archived