Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Job recruiting agencies. Legit or scam?

WVUforREDSKINS

I just recently graduated and am looking to start a career. I have had a couple interviews on The Hill, but no luck yet. It is hard to get a job there.

Anyway, I recently posted my resume on Monster and got a lot of emails from recruiting agencies. Among them were CorConcepts, Insight Global, People Ventures, and The Midtown Group.

I couldn't figure out exactly what the heck they do or what they wanted me to do. Here is what the email said:

I recently viewed your resume online and am interested in speaking with you about a new job opportunity. Insight Global is an IT staffing and consulting firm looking for candidates for an Sales/Account Manager position open in an office near you. The compensation is a base salary plus commission, benefits, 401k plan, company expense account, and a car allowance and cell phone allowance. The average earnings in the first and second year are $45K and $95K. Insight Global is growing faster than any other IT staffing firm and only promotes from within, which means there is great opportunity for advancement.

This role requires a person who has a lot of energy, motivation and desire to succeed. The office is fast paced, high energy and young. As the company only promotes from within, all of the executives also began as a recruiter and were promoted to their current positions. Therefore, we are looking for strongly competitive, ambitious, friendly and business savvy young professionals who are looking for a long term career. We are looking for people with magnetic personalities and a very strong work ethic who want to make money and find success early in your career. The best candidates lead active lifestyles and are very involved in school activities or socially. This position is attractive for a people-person who would like to meet new people and entertain clients at ****tail hours, lunches and sporting events for a living.

I googled these companies and there websites don't offer much of an explanation either. The company CorConcepts was on a website called rip off report.com Someone wrote how terrible the experience was and he ended up making below mininum wage before quiting.

It sounds like a dream job right out of school, right? 45K average...

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about these kinds of companies. Are any of them legit or are they all a big waste of time??

:logo:

If it is a sales job, your $45k is not going to be garenteed, your garenteed amount will be a lot less, but you make up for it in commissions from sales.

Sales is awesome if you are good at it, but can suck if you are not. Sales is not a scam, it is ligit, but you have to work.

I posted a resume on Monster just like you and got scouted by Insight Global to interview for a product manager position with Time Warner.

They were very legit throughout the whole process - but I did not receive a generic email like yours. I got a phone call from a person asking me about my previous experience, and if I could come in for a conversation. Once they approved me, I got an interview with Time Warner.

I actually received an offer from Time Warner for a very decent salary ($80,000/year) but I would not receive any benefits - which is why I declined. You would be an outside contractor through Insight, so you have zero job security.

If you're comfortable with no health care, benefits, security, etc... give it a shot. Otherwise, go to the websites of companies you are interested in, set up a job agent on their website, and keep sending resumes.

It's a numbers game, bro.

Hey, be careful out there.

A co-workers daughter in law just got ripped off. She had posted her resume in a bunch of places and this guy contacted her. He said for 100 bucks he'd spruce up her resume, make it really stand out and use some connections to line up job interviews. Obviously it sounds more believable than how I'm describing it to you....anyway...

Well, she forked over the money and he just stole it...never did anything to her resume and can't get in contact with him. Apparently this douche is on youtube and is a known scam artist and he's raking in dough.

I posted a resume on Monster just like you and got scouted by Insight Global to interview for a product manager position with Time Warner.

They were very legit throughout the whole process - but I did not receive a generic email like yours. I got a phone call from a person asking me about my previous experience, and if I could come in for a conversation. Once they approved me, I got an interview with Time Warner.

I actually received an offer from Time Warner for a very decent salary ($80,000/year) but I would not receive any benefits - which is why I declined. You would be an outside contractor through Insight, so you have zero job security.

If you're comfortable with no health care, benefits, security, etc... give it a shot. Otherwise, go to the websites of companies you are interested in, set up a job agent on their website, and keep sending resumes.

It's a numbers game, bro.

As a diabetic, healh care is an absolute must! I won't take job that doesn't have benefits either.

Scam. These low lives often list jobs in the hope of getting bites and then try to find some kind of job to fit the bill. Often it's a bait and switch. Even if they do find you a job, they will take a percentage of your pay like an agent, only since you are not a star, they will bend you over and rape you by taking a large cut. Never sign any kind of contract.

OK. Reading some of the replies it seems some of these may be legit. I know that some recruiting agencies take their profits from employers who hire them. Just be careful.

You can make some okay money doing the sales stuff but don't listen to their stories about how you make tons of cash and the last guy that did it bought a new car cash after three months or some crap. They are making it up. I had a job doing this and it wasn't bad but I was living paycheck to paycheck and it was not the cash cow they make it out to be. Just know what you're getting into.

As a diabetic, healh care is an absolute must! I won't take job that doesn't have benefits either.

In that case, wait for a real job.

Just curious.... what do you want to do? I started out on the Hill and it was a great experience. I have a lot of knowledge about Hill jobs. Also, have you thought about trade associations? that is a great way to get experience in DC.

Well, I have experience. I interned for Congressman Jose Serrano (D) NY.

I was interviewed by Jim Webb and Joe Biden's office. Had two interviews with Biden.

I don't really know what I want to do. I have been sending stuff to be a staff assistant. Even though I know the pay kinda stinks.

I'm not sure I know what trade associations are. :doh1:

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about these kinds of companies. Are any of them legit or are they all a big waste of time??

:logo:

Job recruiting agencies are definitely legit. Folks who have jobs pay them a % of your yearly wage to pre screen candidates. That being said, here are some guidelines.

(1) You don't pay there fee's. It's up to the hiring company to do that.

(2) Don't sign any blanket non competes. They aren't legal here in Virginia anyway, but some agencies still try to get folks to sign them.

(3) If they ask for money, of if they want to meet you at a fast food restaurant and not at an office; they likely aren't legit.

(4) Keep a record where, who, and when these guys submit you. You don't want to be double submitted, and you want to know where your resume goes incase you actually do get hired.

Well, I have experience. I interned for Congressman Jose Serrano (D) NY.

I was interviewed by Jim Webb and Joe Biden's office. Had two interviews with Biden.

I don't really know what I want to do. I have been sending stuff to be a staff assistant. Even though I know the pay kinda stinks.

I'm not sure I know what trade associations are?

It does stink... I worked for $19k a year and that was the Senate side(granted it was 10 years ago but yeah it sucks and I worked for a VERY SR Senator)

I will PM with some ideas...

The way most legit recruiting agencies (headhunters) work is to locate you a position that is in demand by employers. If they find you a position you accept their fee is then paid by the employer that hired you. It will cost you nothing.

I have worked with People Ventures in the past. They are great to work with, and have placed a few of my friends looking for jobs just out of school. As a professional recruiter I can tell you that any company looking for a fee from you is total bull****. The services they provide should be at the expense of the company. If you want a contact at people Ventures PM me and I would be happy to pass her name on. Good luck with the search. This is a Sellers market so be picky and make sure the company lives up to your expectations.

I wish I had known EESrs could have helped me find a position - I wouldn't have had to take my transfer to Rhode Island :(

Well, at least we got stuffies and doughboys up here. :cheers:

but you have those accents... those horrible horrible accents. My husband is always saying we should move to Boston... NEVER! My mom has lived here for 35 years and still has that god awful accent. plus so very cold.

but you have those accents... those horrible horrible accents. My husband is always saying we should move to Boston... NEVER! My mom has lived here for 35 years and still has that god awful accent. plus so very cold.

You know, if I were from here - I would probably have taken offense to that... haha. I transferred TO here from... drum roll... Fairfax, VA (where I grew up).

So actually, to these people up here, I have the accent.

Go figure.

I was recently recruited by an agency that saw my resume on Monster. I have since changed jobs, more than doubled my salary, have a company car, and work out of my home. Granted, I have been in my business 28 years. Just be careful when interviewing and take something that is going to make you the money you deserve.

Don't settle!

GL

I was recently recruited by an agency that saw my resume on Monster. I have since changed jobs, more than doubled my salary, have a company car, and work out of my home. Granted, I have been in my business 28 years. Just be careful when interviewing and take something that is going to make you the money you deserve.

Don't settle!

GL

Who the **** got you that job?. :laugh:

My story is I just got a new job that pays me nice full time money for a 20 hour week :)

Its still less than i was making in 2006. :(

I work for a newspaper that partners with monster.com, and my specialty is recruitment.

Regardless, I will say that most of those emails will lead you nowhere. However, don't immediately DELETE. Some of them are probably legit, but you have to sort through the trash.

Proceed with caution, but at least pursue. I can pick out the scams really quickly, since I see them daily, for both job seekers and employers, so if you'd like some opinion on the mails you receive you can PM me. (or anyone else in this position).

Whenever you post with the leading boards, like monster, career builder, etc. you're going to get the bad ones, but your dream job could be in there... so it's worth it to check it out, as long as you do it with caution. Don't forget, the biggest and best employers use headhunters (often).

Archived