Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coaching overhaul (M.E.T.)

wunderhill

well...i think today you would have seen the same thing even if campbell was playing....collins has been great...but it's a whole different story when you and maybe a few others are the only was playing...what cambell faced most of the year...but where does the blame fall on this day...

you're right - it would have been the same if Peyton Manning was in there. - PASkin already told you where the "blame" falls - we were playing with half a O-line.

All I've heard from this team these last few weeks is how they've gone from a team to a family this year. Phillip Daniels made a comment after the game that he is inspired more than ever to work his butt off in the off-season. - This team has chemistry like it hasn't had in 15 years - so now we want to ruin that and start all over again while pissing off the players we've got?

:doh:

Redskins starting lineup (rotation) in the past 5 weeks and longer:

2nd string QB, FA WLB splitting starts with a 6th round rookie WLB, practice squad Nickel corner, undrafted rookie RT, a third string Tackle playing Right Guard, a 6th round 2nd year SS, a 5th round 2nd year DT, a 6th round 2nd year DT, and a rookie SS that had to learn to play FS after our Pro Bowler got murdered the morning after week 11's game.

We went 4 straight, ended up 9-7, and went to the first round of the playoffs with these guys.

Two Pro Bowl caliber O linemen go down in the first and third games of the season respectively and we still won 9 games.

Yeah, fire Gibbs and Buges. They just don't know what it takes anymore.:doh:

3 Super Bowls in his first tenure

2 playoff appearances in 4 years in his second tenure

Considering that this franchise was in the ****ter when he got here in '04, I'd say that he's done one hell of a job. He didn't get it handed to him like most coaches do these days. Hell Tomlin couldn't cut it and he got a playoff caliber team handed to him. One and done. I'd be surprised if Wade gets his team past the first playoff game. He got a playoff caliber team handed to him too.

Gibbs has totally gutted this franchise and has started to build the foundation back up with quality talent and high character players. If he goes after this season and we do well in the next few years under someone else, it will be because of what he accomplished in his second tenure. If he wants to leave, that's fine. But he's not going anywhere anytime soon if he wants to stay.

HTTR

I didn't see this post before I responded. - All I got to say is right on. - I hope we don't lose a single coach this off-season.

The coaching staff has the same problem it has always had under Gibbs - there are too many of them on the Offense and they have worked at cross purposes in the past.

The best overhaul for the Offense IMO would be for Gibbs to truly hand over the reins to Saunders. Let Saunders decide whether he wants to keep some of Gibbs' old dinosaur coaches. Does anyone even know what the Offensive Coordinator does? Or who he is? Hint: Saunders is not the Offensive Coordinator. There are too many cooks in the kitchen.

Saunders Offense works. Keep it because the players are finally getting it. There's no need to throw everything out and start from scratch. The Offense only needs perhaps one new talent for the OL and one big target WR.

Do any of you people who want a new coach know or understand that we been to the playoffs 1 TIME IN THE PAST 12 YEARS!!!! before Gibbs 2 came. And since then we weent 2 times in 4 seasons. Cmon now he has this team on the brink and competitve again and now u wana axe him. dumb fans imo

I may not be Gibb's biggest supporter, but The Coach has done an admirable job this year. And you are absolutely correct in that people need to look at the previous 10+ years of frustration and be proud of the way this coaching staff and players have played and the results we've seen so far. This is similar to the Wizards, in that people tend to have short term memories and fail to see the gift they've been given after years of mediocrity. I am so proud of this team's accomplishments. I hope them all the best in the offseason and continued success for next year! HTTR!

:doh:

Redskins starting lineup (rotation) in the past 5 weeks and longer:

2nd string QB, FA WLB splitting starts with a 6th round rookie WLB, practice squad Nickel corner, undrafted rookie RT, a third string Tackle playing Right Guard, a 6th round 2nd year SS, a 5th round 2nd year DT, a 6th round 2nd year DT, and a rookie SS that had to learn to play FS after our Pro Bowler got murdered the morning after week 11's game.

We went 4 straight, ended up 9-7, and went to the first round of the playoffs with these guys.

Two Pro Bowl caliber O linemen go down in the first and third games of the season respectively and we still won 9 games.

Yeah, fire Gibbs and Buges. They just don't know what it takes anymore.:doh:

3 Super Bowls in his first tenure

2 playoff appearances in 4 years in his second tenure

Considering that this franchise was in the ****ter when he got here in '04, I'd say that he's done one hell of a job. He didn't get it handed to him like most coaches do these days. Hell Tomlin couldn't cut it and he got a playoff caliber team handed to him. One and done. I'd be surprised if Wade gets his team past the first playoff game. He got a playoff caliber team handed to him too.

Gibbs has totally gutted this franchise and has started to build the foundation back up with quality talent and high character players. If he goes after this season and we do well in the next few years under someone else, it will be because of what he accomplished in his second tenure. If he wants to leave, that's fine. But he's not going anywhere anytime soon if he wants to stay.

HTTR

This is the best analysis of the year. IMHO it sums up what Gibbs II has done for us and what we should be thankful for...

give me a break. the playcalling has been FINE ever since Collins started playing. Our problem is a talent one, pure and simple. Our OL was overmatched and physically dominated today, causing TC to be beaten to a pulp.

Get a better line, and Portis is a 1500 ypg runner and the Al Saunders offense will be everything it has been supposed to be.

The offensive line was overmatched alot this year because we had replaced 3/5ths of it by the end of September. What we need is quality depth at that position and some durable starters. Randy Thomas and Jon Jansen are quality players when they are healthy which is almost never. We need to look at those two positions seriously in the off season.

Considering that we made the playoffs with half our O-line gone to injury, and of course the loss of Sean Taylor (not to mention the loss of our starting QB), I am very impressed with this team. These coaches got to the playoffs with what they had. They overcame a hell of alot to get this far. :2cents:

Gibbs is getting old. We need to find "the next Gibbs". Someone with the same fire he had in his belly the first go around. I'm not saying he cant coach now, but he certainly can't coach much longer. Where is that next coach? I have no idea.

A good GM would make all the difference in the world for any future coach. AND he may be able to find "the next Gibbs". Just my two cents.

How do you know we havn't? We have the next LFB, the next Griff, the next Jansen and the highest pick we used is a seventh rounder. We have our next young QB, corner, saftey, OLB, and a slew of other positions as well. We have some great young talent coming up and we did it without all of our picks. I for one, am extremly happy with the direction of our team. We might even have the next great coaching talent on our team and not even know it.

The last coach to bring us to the playoffs this often, is the same one who is doing it now. Our team is good and I doubt people will be looking past us going into the next season. We are almost back to where I wanted Gibbs to bring us. Being feared.

.....Gibbs has done a great job with what he's been given here. The 1st year was awful due to rebuilding. The 2nd year this team highly overchieved. The 3rd year the team underachieved with injuries. This year this team had high expectations and with all the injuries still lived up to the lofty expectations of the fans here.

I concur

Execution.......expecially on the O-Line cost us

I wanted to Draft O-line last year......(Landry is $$$$$ though)

Our O-Line sucked this year

We need an O-line upgrade.......Two spots

Im not screaming for the firing squad, but what was up with the ultra conservative coaching in the first half offense and defense?

The cushions that our DB's were giving the wide outs had me losing my mind. All they had to do was run the quick hook and it was good for eight yards at a clip. Just about the same yardage as the cushion :doh:

I concur

Execution.......expecially on the O-Line cost us

I wanted to Draft O-line last year......(Landry is $$$$$ though)

Our O-Line sucked this year

We need an O-line upgrade.......Two spots

I think our O-line is star studded, it's just a little old. We had far better depth, than we have in the past and it carried us a long way. Give Heyer another year and a healthy Wade backing up Jon and the tackles are set for one year. If we can add another young tackle to groom, done. The interior is what realy needs more depth. Some highly picked young talent there would make me happy, but I do realy like the vets we do have. I have heard more than a couple of Jets fans say thier season ended when the Skins took Kendall.

I don't think that Joe Gibbs deserves to be let go. Matter of fact, he was offered a contract extension. We will see how that all plays out this off-season. He is the one holding all the cards. There is no way that Mr. Snyder will fire Joe Gibbs and nor should he. He has earned and deserves the right to leave on his own terms. He has built a reputation for our team and our area. We need to trust him.

Gibbs stays! End of story! I am sick of the JG and JC bashing.

Now, Saunders and Greggy boy on the other hand...PLEASE GET RID OF THEM! The 3rd down defense was a joke, and the offensive play calling was among the most inconsistent I have ever seen.

JG needs to take the offense and bring good old Marvin Lewis back for the D. Get rid of Lloyd, Brunell, Jansen (hate to say it), and bring in two new offensive linemen. Bring in Chad Johnson. Give a first rounder for him; who else would we take this year? This draft class SUCKS.

That said, this team is headed in the right direction. We're youthful (enough) at the skill positions, have a good core o-line that just needs one more guy, and still have a very good secondary and linebacking core. We have a young QB who is advancing quicker than most, and we have a great head coach. Suisham may or may not be the answer at kicker, but Frost is an underrated punter (he was near the top of the league until the last 5 games). We need a playmaker (Chad Johnson...), a new D coordinator, and a couple little things and we'll be good to go.

I will say this much - the Gibbs philosophy cost us this game. The first half was completely unproductive because he once again tried to put the square peg in the circle hole. This is NOT a power running team, and despite the past few weeks, this isn't even a very good running team. This team moved the ball when it aired it out, put our 4 wide, and had short-drop releases. We missed on way too many 3rd and 1, 4th and 1, and wasted countless downs with pathetic run plays.

Here's some advice Gibbs if you do decide to come back: Do what works, not what you like. As usual, he waits way too long to adopt that plan.

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

I will say this much - the Gibbs philosophy cost us this game. The first half was completely unproductive because he once again tried to put the square peg in the circle hole. This is NOT a power running team, and despite the past few weeks, this isn't even a very good running team. This team moved the ball when it aired it out, put our 4 wide, and had short-drop releases. We missed on way too many 3rd and 1, 4th and 1, and wasted countless downs with pathetic run plays.

Here's some advice Gibbs if you do decide to come back: Do what works, not what you like. As usual, he waits way too long to adopt that plan.

His philosophy will work with the line we started with at the beginning of the season.

:rolleyes: Come on. The man coached a good seasom. We made the playoffs.

I am with ya but just hear me out on this:

Are we happy with just making the playoffs every other year? You have to realize that poor coaching killed us this season. What if we were not the 6th seed and had a home playoff game like Seattle or Tampa? I know we play in the hardest div and seattle gets the easiest schedule in the league year after year but if we want to be champs we need champion coaching ALL SEASON. NOt just when our backs are against the wall. Its too draining and hard to have to win 4 or 5 in a row to make the last seed and then win out on the road in the playoffs. Its not going to happen.

So if were so used to being losers that just making the playoffs everyother year then I guess were in good shape. But I for one would like to see another parade down Penn ave like i did when I was 16 and this team was used to winning all year and all season not just late runs.

No offense pal, but I bet you did not even think this when we man handled Dallas and MOST of the team was all lovey on Gibbs. Gibs still has it. He will unitl he is ready to leave.

There is no greater coach for this team.

Actually I have been posting this or something to this effect all year long.I believe Gibbs is not ready to handle a long season because he is old, and he has too much on his plate.

Of course, there is no greater coach for this team...if the year is 1983! We will never know if there is a better coach for this team if everyone is as close-minded as you are.

There was no way the coaching cost us this game. If you want to point fingers at anyone point at Fabini. He was playing for Seattle, tackling Portis and missing blocks all night long.

What we need in a overhaul of the O-line, we need some more young players who are not hurt. :logo:

Agreed, the only person Fabini hit all night long was Portis. They need to send his ass packing this offseason at least Heyer was trying and he is a rookie not a vet. See ya Fabini go back to Dallas

Until Collins started I really did not think this was a good offense scheme..but you know if JC can get a grip on how to run this offense and with some O-line additions maybe another speed wr..this team could make a serious run at a superbowl in 08...there schedule is not as brutal as this year..what we need is a home playoff game..lets win the division next year..part of getting that done is keeping this team together..the players,the coaches..everyone..If the skins start losing coaches ,cordinators..that will spell big trouble..then we will have a new system to learn..STABILITY..THAT IS THE KEY..

Archived