Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

And people always use the "cold war" copout. I thought Mayweather was his own boss and he and he alone decides who he fights.

Just because the man is his own boss doesn't mean he can sit at the table and negotiate a contract with his shadow. It takes two to tango. Plus Manny and Bradley have inked a date for 4/12 which takes them off the table for 5/3. Maybe this can be re-visited in Sept; however, I wouldn't hold my breath

Anybody who criticize somebody is obviously a hater.

The word hater has really gotten old. Unlike you, I'm a real boxing fan that I don't really have a dog in the Pac/May rivalry. I want to see the best fights. And you call me a nut swinger? Are the people who back May nut swingers?

The word hater has really gotten old. Unlike you, I'm a real boxing fan that I don't really have a dog in the Pac/May rivalry.

stop lying. Every post on this topic shows you have a clear dog in this discussion. We arent stupid.

I want to see the best fights.

yet you also criticized Floyd and Goldenboy for doing that with their undercards and applauded Pacquaio for not.

stop lying. Every post on this topic shows you have a clear dog in this discussion. We arent stupid.

yet you also criticized Floyd and Goldenboy for doing that with their undercards and applauded Pacquaio for not.

No, I'm not up his backside like you. I happen to know BS when I see it. You're running your mouth and don't even know what you're talking about. I actually like the loaded undercards GB presents. TR should do the same. My only gripe is when ya boy Floyd tries to take all the credit when the PPV does well. Let him be on a PPV that's not stacked and we'll see just how much of a PPV star he really is. Pacquiao, for the most part, has to sell his PPV's all by himself. I honestly think TR is stupid for not putting a fight like Mikey Garcia vs Gamoa on the undercard of Pac/Bradley. Arum says, "nobody cares about the undercard." True, if you continue to put on crappy undercards.

And you act as if YOU don't have a dog in this discussion. Please.

Im well aware it was a catchweight 150lb bout, but DM72 despises Mayweather and is saying he should stay at 154 because he just beat Alvarez. I am making hte same case for Manny, and he decided to deflect.

And where did I ever say that Floyd should stay at 154? I said he should/could fight Lara at 154. And he is a champion at 154. You wanna discuss that? Does Pacquiao own a title at 154? If he did, I'd say the exact samething. But he doesn't, nor has he ever fought at 154. So saying Pacquiao should go up to 154 at this stage is ridiculous.

Edited by DM72

No, I'm not up his backside like you. I happen to know BS when I see it. You're running your mouth and don't even know what you're talking about. I actually like the loaded undercards GB presents. TR should do the same. My only gripe is when ya boy Floyd tries to take all the credit when the PPV does well. Let him be on a PPV that's not stacked and we'll see just how much of a PPV star he really is. Pacquiao, for the most part, has to sell his PPV's all by himself. I honestly think TR is stupid for not putting a fight like Mikey Garcia vs Gamoa on the undercard of Pac/Bradley. Arum says, "nobody cares about the undercard." True, if you continue to put on crappy undercards.

Stacked undercards are a relatively new invention, promoters only started to get concerned about it within the last year or two. Mayweather & Pacquiao have sold PPV's with ****ty undercards multiple times.

The fact of the matter is the undercard doesn't move the PPV needle. Its more of a way for boxing promoters to give something back to fans who will shell out the PPV money. Mayweather/Canelo still would have done well over 2mil buys without Garcia/Matthysse as a co-headline.

When Bob Arum says over 90% of the people buying ppv's don't care about the undercard, he's largely right. That fact does not mean it should be ignored. Boxing fans don't expect to get something as good as Garcia/Matthysse every time out, but we should get more than a squash match for the promoters next rising star.

Edited by StillUnknown

Stacked undercards are a relatively new invention, promoters only started to get concerned about it within the last year or two. Mayweather & Pacquiao have sold PPV's with ****ty undercards multiple times.

The fact of the matter is the undercard doesn't move the PPV needle. Its more of a way for boxing promoters to give something back to fans who will shell out the PPV money. Mayweather/Canelo still would have done well over 2mil buys without Garcia/Matthysse as a co-headline.

When Bob Arum says over 90% of the people buying ppv's don't care about the undercard, he's largely right. That fact does not mean it should be ignored. Boxing fans don't expect to get something as good as Garcia/Matthysse every time out, but we should get more than a squash match for the promoters next rising star.

I was just thinking about this and you're right, Bob Arum has a point. I get PPV's all the time and people don't start arriving until the main event. Even with the stacked PPV of May/Alvarez, guest didn't arrive until the main event.

And you're absolutely right, May/Alvarez would have done great business no matter what the undercard was. But let May/Khan not have a stacked undercard. I'd be surprised if Broner's not on the undercard. If Mayweather does choose Khan, I'd also be surprised if Broner/Maidana II isn't the co-feature. 

Edited by DM72

I said it once and I'll say it again. Floyd is VERY calculating. Follow me. Floyd made this poll knowing good and well who most fans would want him to fight. On the surface, Maidana is the obvious choice AND he's more deserving. BUT(and I've been thinking about this), Khan would be the tougher fight and Floyd knows it. I admit, I already said I don't want to see May/Khan because Khan simply doesn't deserve it. He's 2-2 in his last 4 fights. IMO May/Maidana would be no different than May/Alvarez. Floyd will have no problems outpointing Maidana to a relatively easy decision. a lot of people would be waiting for Maidana to land a big punch that will never come. Khan on the otherhand, for all the gripe we give him, does have hand speed. And Floyd has had trouble with guys that have good hand speed, particularly in the early rounds. Still, I believe Floyd would beat Khan relatively easy.

May beats Khan & Maidana easy IMO, but it happens in different ways.

Khan has the technical skills & handspeed to potentially bother Mayweather, but he lacks the fight IQ to carry out a gameplan against someone as crafty as Mayweather. If Garcia and Julio Diaz found their timing pretty easy against Khan, Floyd would have him frustrated and flustered inside of 3 rounds. Khan's porous defense and lack of chin could result in a rare KO above 135 for Floyd.

Maidana has power to damage if he were able to hit Floyd clean, but thats a tall task. Mayweather probably looks better offensively against Maidana because he lacks the lateral movement which would allow Floyd to unleash some counter combos instead of his usual one/two reset action. Maidana's been dropped before, but I don't think Floyd could hurt him as bad as he could Khan. I do think Floyd could get a stoppage through the ref or Maidana's corner late in the fight.

I would rather see Maidana get the fight simply because he's done more to earn it. Even though Khan holds a legit win over Maidana, I absolutely hate the way Khan has gone about positioning himself for a fight with Floyd. It makes complete sense from his perspective, but I don't have to like it, and I don't.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

I have a question and anyone with any knowledge of the situation please feel free to answer:

With the Pac-Bradley contract for the 4/12/14 date having already been signed by both fighters (including the signing of a Top Rank contract extension for Bradley), tour dates already set, promotion already fully underway, and the actual fight only 2 months away,

WHY IN THE WORLD ARE THERE STILL NEGOTIATIONS ONGOING FOR DRUG TESTING??

I just don't understand how this makes any sense, help please...

Please let Khan get the fight. I don't want to see Mayweather run circles around another flat footed puncher like Maidana for a boring 12 round snoozefest. At least Khan would bring a different dynamic as an Mayweather opponent and Floyd might actually get a spectacular knockout which hasn't happened since Ricky Hatton (of course I don't consider the Ortiz BS a real knockout).