Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

http://www.youcastr.com/casts/archive/digital25-boxing-along-the-beltway-batb-news-and-commentary-7-24-08

Digital thinks Paschall has a sweet deal:

-National TV debut on a pay cable network, on the biggest show on that network

-Gets huge payday

-No-lose: if he loses, it's expected (if he even shows well, he'll get more TV bouts)

-If he wins, household boxing name and possible Top 10 or at least Top 15 fighter in the world

BTW, Digital's blog is approaching it's 3-year anniversary :):):)

I think Oscar will choose Pacquiao because it'll be an easier fight

they would fight at 147? That is too large of a jump for Pacquiao....he just moved up to 135 recently...I think he should stay there for a while. I would like to see Oscar fight Paul Williams and the winner of that fight the winner of Saturday's fight

they would fight at 147? That is too large of a jump for Pacquiao....he just moved up to 135 recently...I think he should stay there for a while. I would like to see Oscar fight Paul Williams and the winner of that fight the winner of Saturday's fight

they would fight at 147. Freddie Roach has gone on record saying that Pacquiao can hurt and KO Oscar at 147. Pacquiao believes in Freddie Roach.

Oscar only has 1 fight left and Paul Williams isn't the biggest possible fight to be made.

just my opinion, but i think Oscar has narrowed his choices to Pacquiao or the winner of saturday's fight

they would fight at 147. Freddie Roach has gone on record saying that Pacquiao can hurt and KO Oscar at 147. Pacquiao believes in Freddie Roach.

Pacquiao would have to out box Oscar and he would have to be the much quicker man. I'm not so sure Pac-man would be too much quicker than Oscar at 147....I'd like to see the fight though! That fight would probably be the biggest money making fight in history....Pac-man and Oscar have two of the biggest followings in boxing.

just my opinion, but i think Oscar has narrowed his choices to Pacquiao or the winner of saturday's fight

I think you are right....more than likely will be Cotto

another chapter of Mexico vs. Puerto Rico!

Pacquiao would have to out box Oscar and he would have to be the much quicker man. I'm not so sure Pac-man would be too much quicker than Oscar at 147....I'd like to see the fight though! That fight would probably be the biggest money making fight in history....Pac-man and Oscar have two of the biggest followings in boxing.

I think you are right....more than likely will be Cotto

another chapter of Mexico vs. Puerto Rico!

i've gone back and forth on saturday's fight, but i've settled on Margarito by late round TKO.

no real rhyme or reason to it. pretty evenly matched fight, but i'm thinking even though Cotto is the better boxer, his lack of head movement against Margarito's power shots may present a problem late in the fight. then again, i don't think Margarito has ever faced the type of barrage to the body he could see against Cotto. i can see either winning the fight in spectacular, but i'm riding with Margarito as my official prediction.:2cents:

ACW, I saw the Casamayor Santa Cruz fight and it was indeed a robbery!! Not even close.

Don't get so caught up on the alphabet titles. They're meaningless. Immerse yourself in the ring rankings if you dont already do so. Those are the true champs and the only champions anyone true boxing fan recognizes. If people stop recognizing those terrible organizations, they will have less credibility.

http://thering-online.com/ringpages/ratings2.html

Also, Direll is going to smoke Paschall, and Direll isn't even in the top 10 at 168. Taylor-Lacy is a go for Nov. 15.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/notebook?page=notebook/boxingjuly25

21, I know about the Ring rankings. If I had total power, besides reducing the number of weight classes, I'd have the Ring rank the contenders and use THOSE. How the hell can a boxer (e.g. Pacquiao) be ranked in more than one weight class though? :confused:

I've got Cotto tomorrow...I'm thinking 8th round. By the way Finkle....Jeff Lacy? After the way Calzaghe handled him, I don't know if I'll ever take him seriously, unless that was just a bad night. I agree that Jermaine Taylor would probably bust him up inside of 6 rounds.

No, we're not talking about the big 4, bc "the big 4" is a big joke. All boxing writers, myself included, consider them a joke as they have ridiculous madatories and are just in it to make a buck. The Ring champs are the true champs, because there are no sanctioning fees and everyone is rated. Whereas in the "big 4", they don't rate champs of each organization. Champ means one and only CHAMP. there can't be four champs. So, Calzaghe can defend the light heavyweight title, which he is against roy jones jr on Nov. 8 and then defend the super middleweight title against Pavlik next year, which he is also expected to do.

I know this stuff is really complicated, a big reason boxing isn't as big as it used to be. Any questions let me know.

No, we're not talking about the big 4, bc "the big 4" is a big joke. All boxing writers, myself included, consider them a joke as they have ridiculous madatories and are just in it to make a buck. The Ring champs are the true champs, because there are no sanctioning fees and everyone is rated. Whereas in the "big 4", they don't rate champs of each organization. Champ means one and only CHAMP. there can't be four champs. So, Calzaghe can defend the light heavyweight title, which he is against roy jones jr on Nov. 8 and then defend the super middleweight title against Pavlik next year, which he is also expected to do.

I know this stuff is really complicated, a big reason boxing isn't as big as it used to be. Any questions let me know.

He can do that? Huh, interesting. Oh wait, I get it; so if, say (unrealistic I know), Pacquiao moved up to heavyweight, he could be both super featherweight champ and heavyweight champ? Weird.

You're a boxing writer? For what?

EDIT: Question though: would one of the Big 4 have to saction the fights w/ RJJ and Ghost since they're different weight classes?

I write for secondsout.com and am covering the fight at Ibiza on August 7th, that Digital will be at. And yes, theoretically Pacman could be both. Now, it's not needed for any of those corrupt organizations to sanction any fight, it will still be for a world title. For example, a few years ago, Tarver and Johnson were the two best light heavyweights in the division. Tarver had the WBC title and Johnson the IBF and WBA. Something like that. They wanted to fight each other, but the WBC said that Tarver had to fight the no. 1 contender, as rated by the WBC, which of course was some bum. Ditto for Johnson with the WBA, another bum. So both said, screw it, threw their titles in the trash can, literally, and went on to fight each other. They were both stripped of their titles, and the highest rated bums fought for the fragmented titles. And Johnson beat Tarver and he was THE LIGHTHEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD!! And he was considered as such. As such, he held the ring title. So he is the lineal champ so to speak. Roy Jones was the champ for so long, Tarver beat Roy, Johnson beat Tarver, Tarver beat Johnson in the rematch, Hopkins beat Tarver, and then Calzaghe beat Hopkins. So Calzaghe is THE CHAMP. Yet he doesn't own a single light heavy belt by one of those corrupt sanctioning bodies, he does hold the prestigious ring magazine title. ESPN only recognizes the ring rankings. I realize it can be confusing, I have been a diehard boxing fan since 2001 and now write for the sport and have attended dozens of big time fights in the Garden and Atlantic City.

I didn't realize about all this crap for about 2 years, as it is really confusing and turns many a fan off to the spot. Any more questions feel free to ask...

By the way, I see you live in Arlington, what are you doing for the fight tonight?

Thanks for the explanation :) I get it now (of course, if you had said theoretically said Pacman COULDN'T be both I'd be REALLY confused).

As for tonight's fight, I probably WOULD see it at Bailey's, except my dad and I are seeing the Eagles tonight at Verizon Center.

BTW, I'm probably also going to the card at Ibiza ("Dis-com-bob-u-lating" Jones is the ring announcer; cool guy, and his book his really good). We'll have to meet up if I go.

Guest sith lord

I'm at a lost for words. Here we have what could pontentially be the fight of the year with Cotto and Margarito and everyone's talking Jones, Pavlic and Pacman.

Unlike most PPV fights, this one actually might live up to the hype.

All I know is, Big 4 and such be damned, if Margarito wins, Punisher deserves the first shot (after a possible rematch).

if Margarito wins, i'm fairly certain Punisher will get the first shot. Margarito won't see as many PPV's as Pacquiao so i'm thinking Oscar will go that route if Marg wins. add on to the fact that Margarito probably wants some redemption for that loss to Williams, it adds up to that being the next fight.

Cotto is outboxing Margarito while moving backwards. the clean punches are clearly the difference right now. the judging may end up funny though because Cotto is doing alot of backtracking with Margarito constantly coming forward

on another note Jim Lampley is firmly attached to the nuts of Cotto

Cotto dropped to knee in the 11th, he looks dead in the ring

edit: Margarito wins by TKO in the 11th.

Cotto was ahead early, Margarito punished him late

Cotto hit him with bombs early, Margarito walked through them

official scorecards had Margarito up on two cards and even on the third at the time of the stoppage