Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

That fight may have saved the heavyweight division from ever being saved.

Just hilariously bad.

pretty much

the heavyweight division is just sad and there are no prospects rising that make me think it'll change in the near future. the fact that tony thompson even got a shot for the title just shows how bad the division really is.

That fight was just horrible. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!!! Thompson didn't try to win the fight. He landed more punches, but never tried to hurt him with power shots. When he did throw hard, he missed. The Heavyweight division just sucks right now. The smaller guys put on a better show. Can't wait for Cotto/Margarito in 2 weeks. That fight will be worth it. :notworthy

Tiger gave a game effort (only the 5th opponent to take Wlad to 11 or 12), especially in the first half, but after that, it was all Wlad :(

Thompson quit, plain and simple. Did you hear his corner between the 10th and 11th round? His corner said something like "Don't lie, you aren't giving your best" and Thompson said something like "This is what I've got." At that point, coupled with how long he took to recover from his leg "injury" I knew he was done. I told my wife it was over, he had no chance, and then Wlad knocked him out a minute later. And I'm not so sure he got caught flush on that shot, but you could tell by his face that he didn't want to get back up.

I don't think Klitschko (sp?) is a half bad fighter, but like Lennox Lewis, he's going to be downgraded for fighting in a weak heavyweight era.

I don't think Klitschko (sp?) is a half bad fighter, but like Lennox Lewis, he's going to be downgraded for fighting in a weak heavyweight era.

It was good to finally see Klitschko beat someone his own height with good boxing skills. I was honestly thinking in the early rounds that it was Thompson who was going to wear down Wlad, but by the 8th I knew Klitschko was in control and Tony didn't want any more right hand.

eagle, indeed you do. Tiger's 36, been fighting professionally only since he was in his late 20s, and gave Vlad more of a challenge than the great majority of other opponents.

On another note, if you were the King of Boxing, besides the weight classes, what other changes would you make? I'd blow up and start from scratch. I'd have The Ring magazine pick the top 2 competitors from each of my 9 weight classes and have those 2 fight it out for the title.

eagle, indeed you do. Tiger's 36, been fighting professionally only since he was in his late 20s, and gave Vlad more of a challenge than the great majority of other opponents.

On another note, if you were the King of Boxing, besides the weight classes, what other changes would you make? I'd blow up and start from scratch. I'd have The Ring magazine pick the top 2 competitors from each of my 9 weight classes and have those 2 fight it out for the title.

Exactly, I'd be done with these sanctioning organizations, they're all corrupt anyway. One champion, not four or five. And Ring Magazine would determine the contenders.

Also, as far as champions pulling out of numerous defenses because of illnesses and training injuries...b.s. They're getting stripped if it becomes a habit, but I'm not having any "interim champ" b.s. The #2 and #3 guys can fight to become the new champ, and the former guy can fight to regain his title if he can make it through camp without pulling a hamstring.

Also, I think I might have some kind of language about defending your title 2-3 times a year minimum. I'm sick of these guys who win a belt and then fight once every 9-12 months.

Tarver-Dawson set for Oct 11!

SHOWTIME Senior Vice President and General Manager, Sports and Event Programming Ken Hershman officially announced today that world champion Antonio "Magic Man" Tarver (27-4, 19 KOs) and undefeated "Bad" Chad Dawson (26-0, 17 KOs) will face off in a battle of light heavyweight kingpins on Saturday, Oct. 11 live on SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING at 9 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the West Coast). "There's been a ground-swell of anticipation for this fight for more than a year," said Hershman. "Two of the pound-for-pound best going toe-to-toe—this is what SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING is all about. Tarver-Dawson is yet another example of SHOWTIME delivering on our promise to televise the most meaningful and competitive match-ups in the sport."

i'm taking Dawson in this one