Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

Jones Jr vs Calzaghe is finally official. Takes place Sept 20 at MSG.

over-rated pay-per-view fight!

two very over-rated fighters!

Calzaghe hasn't proved **** to me! He is supposed to be something for beating an over-rated Jeff Lacy in his own back yard (Wales), Sakio Bika...who hasn't proved anything himself, Peter Manfredo Jr....who is only popular because of the contender, a past prime Hopkins, and now he is fighting an over-rated/over the hill Roy Jones Jr.

Roy Jones has never impressed me much either....he didn't have a whole heck of a lot of competition in the light heavy weight division until Tarver (also over-rated) beat him twice and he lost three in a row to Tarver and Johnson.

When Roy decided to go to the heavy weight division....he chose the weakest champion at that time who he knew he could beat (Ruiz).

If Calzaghe wants to really prove something he needs to fight Pavlik.

If jones wants to prove something and move back up to heavy weight like he said he wants to do, he needs to fight wlad

Guest sith lord
over-rated pay-per-view fight!

two very over-rated fighters!

Calzaghe hasn't proved **** to me! He is supposed to be something for beating an over-rated Jeff Lacy in his own back yard (Wales), Sakio Bika...who hasn't proved anything himself, Peter Manfredo Jr....who is only popular because of the contender, a past prime Hopkins, and now he is fighting an over-rated/over the hill Roy Jones Jr.

Roy Jones has never impressed me much either....he didn't have a whole heck of a lot of competition in the light heavy weight division until Tarver (also over-rated) beat him twice and he lost three in a row to Tarver and Johnson.

When Roy decided to go to the heavy weight division....he chose the weakest champion at that time who he knew he could beat (Ruiz).

If Calzaghe wants to really prove something he needs to fight Pavlik.

If jones wants to prove something and move back up to heavy weight like he said he wants to do, he needs to fight wlad

I actually agree with your statement.

I actually agree with your statement.

most unbiased boxing fans probably would. The ring magazine wouldn't thought....they have Calzaghe pegged as the second coming of christ!

I wish more boxers these days were more like Miguel Cotto, Paul Williams, Antonio Margarito, and Pavlik! All of these guys will fight anyone you put in front of them....they are less worried about the money or blemishing their record than writing their page in boxing history as a great fighter who will take all comers!

Unlike Felix Trinidad who comes back to take fights that make no sense against Roy Jones.

I have to give him credit for giving De La Hoya another shot (although I think the money is the motivating factor for Tito....he doesn't care if he wins or loses....as long as he gets payed) De La Hoya is going to wreck Trinidad....and this is coming from a former Tito fan and a De La Hoya hater!

Floyd Mayweather could have been one of the greatest boxers ever....but instead he choses to take a huge money fight w/ De La Hoya and an easy bout w/ an over-rated Richy Hatton.

Mayweather should have fought Shane Mosely....if he beat Sugar Shane, he then should have fought the winner of Cotto/Margarito.

Guest sith lord
most unbiased boxing fans probably would. The ring magazine wouldn't thought....they have Calzaghe pegged as the second coming of christ!

I wish more boxers these days were more like Miguel Cotto, Paul Williams, Antonio Margarito, and Pavlik! All of these guys will fight anyone you put in front of them....they are less worried about the money or blemishing their record than writing their page in boxing history as a great fighter who will take all comers!

Unlike Felix Trinidad who comes back to take fights that make no sense against Roy Jones.

I have to give him credit for giving De La Hoya another shot (although I think the money is the motivating factor for Tito....he doesn't care if he wins or loses....as long as he gets payed) De La Hoya is going to wreck Trinidad....and this is coming from a former Tito fan and a De La Hoya hater!

Floyd Mayweather could have been one of the greatest boxers ever....but instead he choses to take a huge money fight w/ De La Hoya and an easy bout w/ an over-rated Richy Hatton.

Mayweather should have fought Shane Mosely....if he beat Sugar Shane, he then should have fought the winner of Cotto/Margarito.

I'm a huge Trinidad fan and you're right, the Jones Jr fight made absolutely no sense, but I don't see Trinidad/De La Hoya II happening for two reasons. First, Tito said he would not go under 165 and Oscar said he would only fight him at 154. Second, Tito wants a 50/50 share since he won the first fight. That's not happening. I can actually see Trinidad fighting Pavlic.

As for if they did fight, I'm not sure Oscar would wreck Trinidad. I think it would be a pretty good fight.

I'm a huge Trinidad fan and you're right, the Jones Jr fight made absolutely no sense, but I don't see Trinidad/De La Hoya II happening for two reasons. First, Tito said he would not go under 165 and Oscar said he would only fight him at 154. Second, Tito wants a 50/50 share since he won the first fight. That's not happening. I can actually see Trinidad fighting Pavlic.

As for if they did fight, I'm not sure Oscar would wreck Trinidad. I think it would be a pretty good fight.

The date was already set for Trinidad-De La Hoya II.....I'm not sure If they have already signed the contracts or not....but at this point in the game I think you are right....I don't see them agreeing on a catch-weight. Oscar has no business fighting over 154....if he does, he will lose. 154 is a very good Weight for Oscar and I don't think their are too many fighters out there right now that could beat him at that weight. I'd actually like to see him fight the winner of Cotto and Margarito.

Trinidad's problem is that he is fighting in weight classes much too heavy for his own good....he needes to move back down to middle weight. Pavlik would be a very intriguing fight....whoever won would probably do so in a KO manner! That's a tough fight to call...I'd actually rather see Tito take a tune-up fight prior to his next big one (which he wont do...because all he cares about at this point is the next big pay day)

I'd actually like to see Calzaghe fight Pavlik at middle weight rather than fight Jones Jr. at light heavy weight. Then the winner of Calzaghe/Pavlik fight Trinidad after he has had a tune up fight.....all this is wishful thinking.

I actually heard Pavlik was going to fight Mora, but that fight fell though (I would have loved to see sergio get his ass whoopped....he is the most over-rated fighter of my time!) Now they are really talking up a possible Pavlik/Paul Williams fight. I love Paul Williams...but I don't think he is ready to move up two weight classes....he should fight a few fights at 154 before he moves up two weight classes to take on the best the middle weight division has to offer (he hasn't even conquered the welter weight division!) I'd like to see Williams/Mora

I think Trini should hang 'em up. He is only going to tarnish his great career by continuing on at such a high weight class. Oscar would whip him at this stage of their careers IMHO.

When Felix was at his peak, he was AMAZING. Afetr his loss to Hopkins, he was never really the fighter he used to be. He still had the fire, but his defense had been been exposed.

Cotto was very protected in his fights coming up, outside of Mosely he hasn't faced any serious threats to beat him. His people turned down a fight with Mayweather a couple of years ago.

i agree with what you said about Calzaghe

i can't agree with not being impressed by Roy Jones Jr. i don't understand the logic of blaming a guy for the era he was born in. Roy may not have had competiton, but he still beat and often embarrassed some poeple. he beat Toney & B-Hop. Its not just that he was a dominant champ, he did things in the ring you just didn't expect.

Guest sith lord
I think Trini should hang 'em up. He is only going to tarnish his great career by continuing on at such a high weight class. Oscar would whip him at this stage of their careers IMHO.

When Felix was at his peak, he was AMAZING. Afetr his loss to Hopkins, he was never really the fighter he used to be. He still had the fire, but his defense had been been exposed.

I don't think he was ever exposed, he was just fighting fighters that were too big. He should have never left 154.

I TOTALLY agree that Trinidad/De La Hoya II makes no sense...furthermore Mosley/Mayorga is even WORSE!!! Sheesh...give me Mosley versus Cotto/Margarito winner.....Cotto/Mosley II would be awesome....the thing is Father time could be tapping on Shane's shoulder...any minute now....its a shame he didnt get to fight Mayweather.

Oh and another thing..Pavlik is a BEAST..I mean who beats this guy?

I TOTALLY agree that Trinidad/De La Hoya II makes no sense...furthermore Mosley/Mayorga is even WORSE!!! Sheesh...give me Mosley versus Cotto/Margarito winner.....Cotto/Mosley II would be awesome....the thing is Father time could be tapping on Shane's shoulder...any minute now....its a shame he didnt get to fight Mayweather.

Oh and another thing..Pavlik is a BEAST..I mean who beats this guy?

only person i see with a chance at beating Pavlik is Arthur Abraham. i would favor Pavlik in the fight, but it would be classic.

those are the two i want to see fight to unify the MW division.

His people turned down a fight with Mayweather a couple of years ago.

Cotto's camp has been trying to get a fight w/ Mayweather for the past year...Mayweather said that Cotto hadn't accomplished enough to fight him....i think Cotto is much more worthy than Ricky Hatton!

Cotto doesn't turn anyone down....he fought Shane, Zab, now margarito.

Roy may not have had competiton

you said it yourself right there.....he couldn't even win the fight series against Tarver (who is sickly over-rated) the big thing that killed any respect I had for him as a fighter is when he tried to act like he was the heavy weight champ of the world when he beat a joke of a champion (Ruiz) why didn't he fight Lewis if he wanted to be heavy weight champ of the world?.....because he couldn't have beaten him!

only person i see with a chance at beating Pavlik is Arthur Abraham. i would favor Pavlik in the fight, but it would be classic.

those are the two i want to see fight to unify the MW division.

I don't think Abraham has much of a chance to beat Pavlik....Abraham hasn't shown me ****! I think Winky has the best chance to beat Pavlik...but the fight will never happen because Winky wants too much money for that fight!

Cotto's camp has been trying to get a fight w/ Mayweather for the past year...Mayweather said that Cotto hadn't accomplished enough to fight him....i think Cotto is much more worthy than Ricky Hatton!

you said it yourself right there.....he couldn't even win the fight series against Tarver (who is sickly over-rated) the big thing that killed any respect I had for him as a fighter is when he tried to act like he was the heavy weight champ of the world when he beat a joke of a champion (Ruiz) why didn't he fight Lewis if he wanted to be heavy weight champ of the world?.....because he couldn't have beaten him!

stop using research to defeat my arguments :finger: :laugh:

Roy who started at 160 (i think), defeating any heavyweight is a big accomplishment. Ruiz was a legit heavyweight contender, its not like he fought the bottom of the barrell.

I don't think Abraham has much of a chance to beat Pavlik....Abraham hasn't shown me ****! I think Winky has the best chance to beat Pavlik...but the fight will never happen because Winky wants too much money for that fight!

i would give Abraham about a 35-40% chance in that fight. Pavlik's straight punches would bother him, but he is an excellent counter-puncher with KO power in both hands. Pavlik can be dropped and hurt as Taylor proved in the 2nd round of their first fight. Abraham hasn't proved much, but his list of competition is very similar to Pavlik's.

I believe Cotto is more worthy than Hatton...but I see the same result...Cotto is a GREAT fighter...but in my opinion he is too slow for Floyd...even though it hasnt happen recently Cotto had a "stretch" there were got "caught" at least once a fight and was on the verge of going...night,night....if he gets caught by Floyd, it'll be followed up by a 20 punch sleepin pill...

Sheesh...give me Mosley versus Cotto/Margarito winner.....Cotto/Mosley II would be awesome
What about Paul Williams vs. Cotto Margarito winner? Hell, Williams already beat Margarito.

Abraham hasn't proved much, but his list of competition is very similar to Pavlik's.

I would say Pavlik beating Taylor twice(who beat Hopkins twice) the undisputed Middle weight champion of the world puts him in a different league of competition than Abraham!

What about Paul Williams vs. Cotto Margarito winner? Hell, Williams already beat Margarito.

Yeah good point....Paul did look good in his "payback" fight recently....he would have to bring his A+ and extra credit game to beat Cotto...I think.....

I believe Cotto is more worthy than Hatton...but I see the same result...Cotto is a GREAT fighter...but in my opinion he is too slow for Floyd...even though it hasnt happen recently Cotto had a "stretch" there were got "caught" at least once a fight and was on the verge of going...night,night....if he gets caught by Floyd, it'll be followed up by a 20 punch sleepin pill...

I can't disagree with this too much. Cotto does have a questionable chin and is not doubt slower than Floyd.

here's the thing....Cotto is a much quicker guy than given credit to. Cotto beat Sugar Shane (who was the Floyd Mayweather of boxing before there was a Floyd Mayweather) Cotto also beat Zab Judah....who is also very quick.

I'm not going to come out and say Cotto would definitely beat Floyd...but I wouldn't say Floyd would definitely beat Cotto.

I actually think it would be the fight of the decade.

I'd love to see this fight....but I doubt it will happen.

Paul has a lot of difficulty meeting the 147 limit of welter weight i expect him to either move up to 154 to fight Moro, or move up to 160 to fight Pavlik.

I would say Pavlik beating Taylor twice(who beat Hopkins twice) the undisputed Middle weight champion of the world puts him in a different league of competition than Abraham!

alot of people feel Taylor is overrated (i'm not one of them). outside of Jermain Taylor, their level of comp is similar though.

I can't disagree with this too much. Cotto does have a questionable chin and is not doubt slower than Floyd.

here's the thing....Cotto is a much quicker guy than given credit to. Cotto beat Sugar Shane (who was the Floyd Mayweather of boxing before there was a Floyd Mayweather) Cotto also beat Zab Judah....who is also very quick.

I'm not going to come out and say Cotto would definitely beat Floyd...but I wouldn't say Floyd would definitely beat Cotto.

I actually think it would be the fight of the decade

Cotto beat Mosely because Mosely played his game. Shane actually stood toe to toe with Cotto for alot of that fight. He did better and won rounds when he would box Cotto.

there is no way on earth Mayweather would stand toe to toe with Cotto. i don't think Cotto has the handspeed to bother Mayweather's defense. Also Cotto still isn't moving his head enough defensively, i think Mayweather would be able to exploit that.

Cotto's only hope in that fight would be to land a clean devastating shot to Mayweather's body to slow him down. i think Floyd would win a comfortable UD.

I actually think it would be the fight of the decade.

Oh my gosh yeees...he PUNISHED Zab...but as you probably saw in the Judah/Mayweather fight...."Zab quickness"...aint exactly "Floyd quickness"....as for Cotto/Mosley...ehhhh...I still think Shane won that fight...