Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gumbel and NFL Network

Peytskins47

I am guessing since NBC and CBS will simulcast the New England/Giant game people will get to hear Bryant Gumbel in all his glory. I don't have the NFL network, but I heard he is pretty bad. I wanted to get myself prepared so I found this blog. This years posts start out with the Cowgirls/Packers game comments. Some of them are pretty funny.

http://www.jimmansfield.com/index.php/2006/11/24/bryant-gumbels-play-by-play-on-the-nfl-network-telecast/

thats a great website! i can't imagine that nfl network will keep gumble OR collinsworth next season...

btw where did collinsworth do his commentary before the nfl network?

That's what I thought last year, yet they kept both Gumble AND Collinsworth. But Collinsworth used to be on fox, he was part of Joe Buck and Aikman's team.

Collinsworth had one line that I absolutely LOVED, during the Eagles/Panthers NFC Championship game in Philly a few years ago. The Eagles had lost the two previous NFC Championship games. Philly was heavily favored. With the score 7-3 Carolina going into halftime, the Philly fans booing, and the teams heading off the field and into the tunnel, Collinsworth chimes in with "If you're a Philadelphia Eagles fan you've got to be thinking, here we go again." I burst out laughing as Fox went to commercial. By the way, the Panthers won the game, LOL.

Gumbel is great for comedic relief but is the worst announcer I've ever heard. Comments like "my bad," mistaking Chris Cooley for Ladell Betts (or was it the other way around?), calling Frank Gore "Al" Gore, and consistently screwing up the down or the distance has got to make the bosses at the NFL Network cringe.

Would love to hear this in a few weeks..."If you're a Dallas Cowboys fan you've got to be thinking, here we go again."

This whole topic is funny......and also sad.

Gumble does provide for a lot of water-cooler banter such as we have here in this thread. At times I have found myself busting out in laughter (or sighing in disbelief) in response to his utter incompetence.

Remember him calling out Gene Upshaw (basically calling him the commissioner's house ni&&er) ? I could not believe the man was hired in the first place. Now, even after COUNTLESS demonstrations of Gumble's ineptness, I actually feel like the NFL is (at least on some level) afraid to let him go. They may feel that keeping him (while he is an obvious embarrassment) would be the lesser of two evils. I say this because of the probable stink that Gumble would cause should he be fired. How long do you think it would be before he would start jumping up and down screaming, waving the race card? I wouldn't be surprised if he would be sitting at his own NFL bashing press conference the very day of his termination. I can't help but think - especially with all the bad PR that has came with this season - a whiny Gumble scares Goodell to death.

:2cents:

By the way -- anyone on here who is so critical of Madden, Aikman, etc and who has yet to experience the torment of a game done by Bryant Gumble.......all I can say is brace yourself.

I get the NFL Network and when it's a game I don't care too much about, I actually enjoy listening to Gumble for the pure comedic factor. I never thought I'd see a commentator surpass Mike Goldberg (from the UFC) on know-nothing-ness about the particular subject they are getting paid a buttload to talk about. lol!

Archived