Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Roster moves

BALLz

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Click link for entire article

Alex Buzbee, a rookie DE from Georgetown, has been promoted to the active roster after spending all season on the practice squad. CB John Eubanks, who is suffering from an infected toe, is not listed on the roster. I imagine he may have been placed on IR but am awaiting final word.

Also, Rocky McIntosh placed on IR.

LB Danny Verdun-Wheeler, a rookie free agent in 2007 and DE Tommy Davis, another free agent from 2007, were added to the practice squad.

Glad to see Buzbee getting a shot after working so hard to make the squad in preseason and training camp.

Question for you guys, after seeing Montgomery ride the bench most of last year and then work hard in the off season to become a damn good starter, does anyone feel that one of our young DEs could do the same thing with the same off season effort. Sure would be nice considering how many holes we need to fill. I'm anxious do see how Wilson progresses after getting a chance to work out with the team in the off season.

to answer your question about young de's, i'm gonna say. don't forget that monty was a college stud who fell to us b/c of his attitude. i like our young de's for their heart, but that only gets you so far. we still need to draft a de with speed and strength. i don't see any of these young guys doing anything but contributing. that's not a bad thing, but just the nature of the nfl. the best part about it is that we finally have depth with contributors on the dline.

I guess this means that the coaches like what buzzbee is doing in practice and think he is ready for some snaps because we already have 4 DE's on the squad (Wilson, Carter, Daniels, and Evans). 5 DE's is a lot to carry.

I don't know if he'll play at all but I wonder if adding another DL to the roster is any indication of how they plan on playing the Vikes. 6 or 7 in the box all night seems like our best option to me.

I don't know if he'll play at all but I wonder if adding another DL to the roster is any indication of how they plan on playing the Vikes. 6 or 7 in the box all night seems like our best option to me.

Uhhh...are you out of your mind? Ever heard of Adrian Peterson?

8 or 9 in the box all night, and make Jackson beat us. That's how you beat the Vikings.

Wonder if Buzbee's will be used as one of those utility type guys? I don't really remember him during the preseason games but maybe he can be used as a DE / LB...

What do you all think?

HTTR!!! :point2sky

i was thinking that might be the case for the vikes game. but looking at wilson and buzbee...

wilson is 6'4 240

buzbee is 6'3 265

to me it would seem that wilson would be better as a hybrid DE/LB than buzbee. unless buzbee can still move the extra 25 lbs as fast as wilson.

Question for you guys, after seeing Montgomery ride the bench most of last year and then work hard in the off season to become a damn good starter, does anyone feel that one of our young DEs could do the same thing with the same off season effort. Sure would be nice considering how many holes we need to fill. I'm anxious do see how Wilson progresses after getting a chance to work out with the team in the off season.

These guys are not comparable to Montgomery, who was considered a 1st day talent but with questionable motivation which is why he fell in the draft. The fact that the proverbial light went on with AM doesn't mean it will with everyone, or any of these guys for that matter.

To get an update on the practice squad guys:

Tommie Davis was on the Giants roster last year. He got cut at the end of training camp.

Danny Verdun-Wheeler signed as a RFA with the Bears, but didn't make the team. His scouting profile wasn't really impressive, but his coach at Georga says he plays all three LB positions.

Jason

it was his motivation/technique/demeanor

he let his phsyical tools do the talking on the field so he was a mixed bag there, and never tried to work on technique ,and wasn't very mean for a defenseive player,which is why many teams thought of him as an Oline prospect.

Anthony Montgomery was a guy with the physical tools, but questionable work ethic and motivation. When those guys grow up, and learn how to work hard, they almost always turn into good players. However, most 2nd and 3rd teamers, practice squaders, etc, are almost the opposite. They have all the motivation and work ethic, that is what got them to this level. What they lack is the speed, size, strength that cannot be taught, or awakened to. There are of course exceptions. But yeah, this is why there aren't many Anthony Montgomery's to be found. Plenty of guys with talent that never get it, like Mike Williams or Brandon Lloyd. A few guys that are marginal but work their asses off and make it, like Rock Cartwright or even Chris Cooley to an extent. It's just a special circumstance when either an Anthony Montgomery or Cooley happen.

Vinnie, on Redskin Radio, just said Buzbee was on a plane to KC to sign with them. He called the agent and Buzbee said he rather play for the 'Skins. He turned around and came back!

Heard that too. KC was interested in him after watching him in the preseason. Glad he didn't have the same agent as Anthony Mix.

Archived