Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Looking Back at that 2004 Defense

method man

When you look back, you say "Wow" at how that defense was number one in the NFC.

You had 2 backup quality players playing DE in Evans and Wynn. You had a guy who was not in the league for the past two seasons playing DT. You had career special teamers starting at the Mike and the Will. You had a rookie starting at FS and you had another borderline roster guy in Clark manning the SS.

Except Smoot, the other starters had major question marks as well. Griff was an underachiever in New York and media ppl thought we overpaid bigtime for him. Washington was part of a horrible D in Indy. Springs was injured so often he was demoted to NB in Seattle.

How nutty is that?

We are still that way, injuries and age aren't helping our cause, but we're still a good D.

Last year? Hell I don't remember much of last year. New players, a rookie CB that wasn't ready yet, Springs hurt, Lavar gone, Clark gone, hybrid OLB/DE told to be a full-time DE...hard to sense what happened. As of now, I'm liking our run stoppage, which is what counts this Sunday.

i dont know why we dont start Demetric Evans

i always seem to hear his name during games, infact hes name i hear prob more then i hear carter.

Evans does get sealed off sometiems against the run and while he is good for 4 sacks a season as a starter, that is just not enough.

Archived