Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

News-Press.com: Rivera's family has history of felonies

SWFLSkins

another one of the murderers has a father who is serving a life sentence for murder. And I still dont think Rivera is the shooter, but what do i know?

You may have a point about who the shooter was, I can only hope the evidence gathered after the fact will pin the tail on the jackass.

i'm sorry, maybe i have a hardened heart, but i cannot stand hearing that he "was a good kid." and "he was well-mannered." blah blah blah! HE SHOT AND KILLED A MAN! that is absolutely the opposite of a good kid. A good kid would have been home doing his damn homework so he could go do something with his life so that he could get out of that crappy neighborhood that he lived in. They should simply lock up that whole family to stop them from reproducing more scumbags.

another one of the murderers has a father who is serving a life sentence for murder. And I still dont think Rivera is the shooter, but what do i know?

What makes you say that? I haven't heard much evidence either way, except I think he confessed.

i'm sorry, maybe i have a hardened heart, but i cannot stand hearing that he "was a good kid." and "he was well-mannered." blah blah blah! HE SHOT AND KILLED A MAN! that is absolutely the opposite of a good kid. A good kid would have been home doing his damn homework so he could go do something with his life so that he could get out of that crappy neighborhood that he lived in. They should simply lock up that whole family to stop them from reproducing more scumbags.

There's no way he was that great of a kid if he's going around with guns, burglarizing, and taking pictures of himself with money he probably didn't legitimately earn for his myspace page. That said, he is also a kid living in a society that for the most part refuses to ignore the "easy way" to get money. Sadly, his problem isn't unique at all.

You're kidding me, right! Lock up the whole family!!! And, who made you God? You should ask yourself: "What I am I doing to make this world a better place?" Answer: Perhaps, you can volunteer to mentor other lost young men like Rivera.

Your statement was uncalled for! I'm angry too, but let's be sensible and more thoughtful about how we might solve the world's problems.

RIP Sean Taylor.

The problem is that parents don't control their kids. When your parents themselves are criminals, this makes the liklihood of a kid commiting crimes even highers. We all know that young kids (especially men) are very impressionable and admire those they think are cool, rather than those who work hard to better themselves.

When your parents aren't parenting and teaching you to be a moral and honest person, it's easy for a kid to get caught up in the thug lifestyle that's glorified in certain parts of our society. This breeds an ignorance of the law and a defiance towards authority. The result? Criminals.

Really, I blame the parents more than anyone else. If you live in the projects and your kid is starting to deal drugs and commit crimes - rein his ***** in and move the F*** away to an area where he can't get caught up in that lifestyle. If you don't - the chances of him getting killed or spending his entire life in jail are high.

I worked as a prosecutor this semester, and I can't tell you how many times I heard the family of some criminal talking about how great of a boy he was and how the actions weren't reflective of the kind of person he was - BullS***!!! It's time for parents to take some responsibility for the kids - or lose custody of them. We need to start making the parents responsible for the actions of their kids. Until that happens, tragedies like this will continue.

:rant: Ok, I'm done now. Go 'Skins - destroy the Giants!!!

You're kidding me, right! Lock up the whole family!!! And, who made you God? You should ask yourself: "What I am I doing to make this world a better place?" Answer: Perhaps, you can volunteer to mentor other lost young men like Rivera.

Your statement was uncalled for! I'm angry too, but let's be sensible and more thoughtful about how we might solve the world's problems.

RIP Sean Taylor.

I thought the person you were responding to was right. The guy is not a good kid. His initial plan was to burglarize ST's house; how does that make him good? For all you know, the person to whom you were responding is a mentor to kids like this. Anyway, according to the article his whole family IS locked up. Let's call a spade a spade and not make excuses for other people, regardless of their situation.

Really, I blame the parents more than anyone else. If you live in the projects and your kid is starting to deal drugs and commit crimes - rein his ***** in and move the F*** away to an area where he can't get caught up in that lifestyle. If you don't - the chances of him getting killed or spending his entire life in jail are high.

You should know that this is exactly how the gangs of LA have moved nationwide and all the various street gangs have even infiltrated rural areas. Not exclusively by parents trying to get kids away from bad areas but that was a large part of it.

The thing is, if you don't have a strong and positive MALE figure in that child's life, it is often all for naught.

And the messed up thing is, while national rates of violence may decline, gang-related violence doesn't rise and fall with those, so they are immune to most positive social factors.

I thought the person you were responding to was right. The guy is not a good kid. His initial plan was to burglarize ST's house; how does that make him good? For all you know, the person to whom you were responding is a mentor to kids like this. Anyway, according to the article his whole family IS locked up. Let's call a spade a spade and not make excuses for other people, regardless of their situation.

Read my post again. In fact, read the article. Technically, the whole family IS NOT incarcerated. The article states that 2 uncles, and a grandfather have criminal backgrounds -- for all we know. As well, I am NOT defending Rivera. HOWEVER, what I am defending is the notion that there are quick solutions (e.g. lock up the whole family) to entrenched social problems. Before we point the finger and direct "waywards" in the directions they SHOULD go, we should think about what we are doing to make the world and the lives of "wayward" youth better. A person who mentors kids like Rivera and his crew would not make statements like, 'They should simply lock up that whole family to stop them from reproducing more scumbags.'

There is intrinsic good in all of us. As much as I hate what Rivera and his crew did to my favorite player, my Christian values force me to see that he is a good person. He WILL answer for what he has done. He will be held accountable on this earth and in the next life. I am just not in the business of judging.

Dr. Martin Luther King once said, “Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.” Thus, we have to move from a place of demonizing these young men, and move to a place of ensuring that other young me like these don't wreak havoc again. Without the collective efforts of us all, who might be the next Sean Taylor? We all must do our part. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), homicide is the leading cause of death among Black males ages 15-34. Thus, the pain I feel from Taylor's loss is forcing me to educate myself and be more thoughtful about what can be done to redress this problem, e.g. understanding the reality for young Black men like Taylor and those who took part in his death.

RIP Sean Taylor.

Read my post again. In fact, read the article. Technically, the whole family IS NOT incarcerated. The article states that 2 uncles, and a grandfather have criminal backgrounds -- for all we know. As well, I am NOT defending Rivera. HOWEVER, what I am defending is the notion that there are quick solutions (e.g. lock up the whole family) to entrenched social problems. Before we point the finger and direct "waywards" in the directions they SHOULD go, we should think about what we are doing to make the world and the lives of "wayward" youth better. A person who mentors kids like Rivera and his crew would not make statements like, 'They should simply lock up that whole family to stop them from reproducing more scumbags.'

There is intrinsic good in all of us. As much as I hate what Rivera and his crew did to my favorite player, my Christian values force me to see that he is a good person. He WILL answer for what he has done. He will be held accountable on this earth and in the next life. I am just not in the business of judging.

Dr. Martin Luther King once said, “Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.” Thus, we have to move from a place of demonizing these young men, and move to a place of ensuring that other young me like these don't wreak havoc again. Without the collective efforts of us all, who might be the next Sean Taylor? We all must do our part. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), homicide is the leading cause of death among Black males ages 15-34. Thus, the pain I feel from Taylor's loss is forcing me to educate myself and be more thoughtful about what can be done to redress this problem, e.g. understanding the reality for young Black men like Taylor and those who took part in his death.

RIP Sean Taylor.

I did read the article, and my exaggeration was in jest. Obviously his whole family is not incarcerated, but it does seem that his grandfather, grandmother, and two uncles do have criminal backgrounds. I'm sure the person who said "lock up his whole family" was also saying that in exaggeration.

Unfortunately we probably won't see eye to eye on this, because I am an atheist and do not see good in everyone. I'm sure if Rivera even allowed someone to mentor him it might make him a little less criminally inclined, but in all fairness, you cannot make excuses for someone who has done something wrong. He killed someone, and I am going to judge him based on those actions.

People can talk about the way kids are raised or the "product of their environment" all they want. There is something in America called free will. Jerome Bettis did not become a product of his environment. When a youth steps up and does not allow HIMSELF or HERSELF to commit felonies, misdeamoners, or civil wrongs, we don't hear about product of their environment propoganda stuff. But we hear it constantly about the the hundreds of thousands of criminals. They all had free will just like MLK, George Washington, JFK, Abraham Lincoln. It's just that they choose not to do anything about it. Positive role models aside, a youth knows that wrong is wrong.

So when trash like this kid do things like he did, spare me the "no father figure" sh**. I did not have a father figure but i choose to go to work everyday and contribute to society. Now, if Rivera goes to a Federal prison, i have to go to work everyday to support him.

People can talk about the way kids are raised or the "product of their environment" all they want. There is something in America called free will. Jerome Bettis did not become a product of his environment. When a youth steps up and does not allow HIMSELF or HERSELF to commit felonies, misdeamoners, or civil wrongs, we don't hear about product of their environment propoganda stuff. But we hear it constantly about the the hundreds of thousands of criminals. They all had free will just like MLK, George Washington, JFK, Abraham Lincoln. It's just that they choose not to do anything about it. Positive role models aside, a youth knows that wrong is wrong.

So when trash like this kid do things like he did, spare me the "no father figure" sh**. I did not have a father figure but i choose to go to work everyday and contribute to society. Now, if Rivera goes to a Federal prison, i have to go to work everyday to support him.

Thank-you, I agree with your sentiment here. Seriously, I'm so sick of all these excuses coming out of the woodwork for these morons. You know, I'm sorry that these kids grew up in a bad environment. But you know what, that environment didn't MAKE them involve themselves in illegal acitivity and commit crimes, most noteably the Taylor murder. Regardless of the environment you grow up in, you still have CHOICES....and at that age, you know whether the choices you are making are right or WRONG!

Hell, my boyfriend grew up with a terrible family life, his dad died when he was a kid, his stepdad beat the hell out of him, they never had any money for food so he and his little brother would go catch fish out of their neighbor's pond to have for a meal. He could have used that as an excuse to steal from people and be a total ***. BUT, he used that situation as an inspriation to get out of that situation and make his life better. He was an All-American collegiate wrestler, and he's the only one in his family with a college degree Furthermore, he'll be graduating from his Master's program in June. So all this crap about people being forced to do bad things just because of their environment is absolute hogwash. Sure, your environment predisposes a person to more "precarious" situations, but the overriding factor in any environment is FREEDOM OF CHOICE.

Sorry for the rather long diatribe, but nothing makes me more mad than people making excuses for terrible behavior!!

I'm not "ancient" by any means, but I have come to a simple conclusion about people. MOST of them are evil and MOST are morons. Now, I don't mean these as in the fact that it's obvious. You may see someone who seems the most likable and or decent, but most are driven by evil and indecent motives. And, people are LAZY and looking for the easy way out. These scumbags could have worked hard at sports or some other job yet chose to be punk who steal what others have worked for and were willing to kill a man who was a Father and Son and significant other...TOTALLY PATHETIC!!!

:cheers::cheers:

Here here.

I come from Suitland, no father in the picture. I chose to not be a scumbag like many of my peers were. I wasn't perfect, I wasn't Mr. Goody Two Shoes, but I knew where the lines were drawn, and I knew what was right and what was wrong.

The choices really AREN'T that hard. You just have to make them and be strong enough to stick to them.

~Bang

RIP Sean Taylor.

I'm sick of reading bunk like this. Lock them all up forever. They are crap born from crap born from crap.

I don't even know what you mean by the "reality of young black men like Taylor and those who took part in his death". Taylor was a young man that grew up in a two-parent family, attended private prep school and I don't think had a whole lot in common with those responsible for his murder. They're a bunch of scum, raised by scum, and it's time to end the chain of violence.

Reading all that crap about aunt's shaking their heads, with "he was such a good boy" makes me sick. Lock them up for life or bring back ol Sparky.

Archived