Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Scouts weigh in on young QB's -- Campbell related(merged)

Hooper

Good article from ESPN on how league scouts see the young qbs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=sando_mike&id=3142771

Jason Campbell, Redskins

CAMPBELL WATCH

Bullish: Appears to have a strong command of the huddle. Good physical skills.

Bearish: Still learning the offense.

Coaches generally change a quarterback's throwing motion only as a last resort. Washington appears to have succeeded in helping Campbell, 25, overhaul his mechanics. Campbell has improved his completion percentage significantly, but he's still in the early stages of development.

"He is a big, talented kid," the secondary coach said. "He can pretty much throw any ball you need. They are probably taking it easy with him with the idea of, 'Hey, listen, don't lose the game for us.' But he might be able to win for them with time."

The AFC scout studied Campbell at length, starting with the seven starts Campbell made last season.

"They really did a nice job of changing his throwing motion," the scout said. "They really shortened his stroke, which helped him. I was really surprised at how much better he got during the summer."

Campbell might be more of a born leader than some quarterbacks.

"He takes charge of things," the secondary coach said. "You don't see other guys in the huddle saying, 'Let's do this, let's do that.' They have some veteran guys. He carries himself that way. I'd be willing to bet he has good leadership ability."

Which will be facilitated by the fielding of an o-line.

A little bit. I won't argue the point too much until we see Todd Collins under center for a full game against two top DEs. However, I believe our pass protection is good enough for Campbell to have possibly played better than he has.

Just have to remember that he's only 19 games into his career as a starter and still has a lot of work to do.

did you guys watch the video with Steve Young on the young QB's?

He didn't say much about Campbell, just a sentence than started talking about the rest of the young QB's.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3151403

Thanks for posting that I just watched it....I dont understand how he thinks Matt Schaub and VY are going to be so good when they really havent had good seasons. VY was thrown like 7 more INT's then TD's and Schaub really just hasnt been as impressive as hes hyped up to be.

A little bit. I won't argue the point too much until we see Todd Collins under center for a full game against two top DEs. However, I believe our pass protection is good enough for Campbell to have possibly played better than he has.

Just have to remember that he's only 19 games into his career as a starter and still has a lot of work to do.

it's a moot point

collins naturally has a quicker release than campbell and a much better grasp of the offense,afterall he's been in it for a decade so he knowns when to get the ball out,and pretty much knows the offense like the back of his hand.to which he smells on a regular basis.

anyone that thinks the O-line play hasn't degraded significantly is fooling themselves

we replaced all-pro randy thomas with elder journeyman tackle jason fabini at RG,and Jon Jansens spot was manned once by a guy with a torn rotator cuff AND a sprained knee. I'm sorry todd wade but your injuries made you a liability on the field since week 5 after kampman ragdolled you a few times...

then we have an UDFA filling wade's spot

so we lose 2 guys who in many peoples opinons are all pro-types and replace them with scrubs (heyer has potential but there are reasons he went undrafted)

Fabini wouldnt start on any other team in the league at RG ditto for heyer.

this consequently affected the ground game as our YPC is well below 4.0YPC.

jasons decision making could have been better. but the fumbles go on him and the O-line. how many times do you see a guy go so uncontested to the QB that he can actually focus on the football and slap it out? andre carter did it once or twice but it's rare. how often do you see people for for the strip during a tackle,it's uncommon,most D-lineman just go for the kill shot cause the ball could fly out anyways,but the majority of jasons fumbles weren't a routine sack with him coughing up the ball,it was him getting the ball swatted out of his hands.

the majority of jasons fumbles weren't a routine sack with him coughing up the ball,it was him getting the ball swatted out of his hands.

I think Jason kept trying too long to make a play. Usually it's better to give up on the play and just protect the ball when a sack looks unavoidable. Of course, there were times the defense was coming in on him so fast, he only had a nanosecond to make that decision.

I think Jason kept trying too long to make a play. Usually it's better to give up on the play and just protect the ball when a sack looks unavoidable. Of course, there were times the defense was coming in on him so fast, he only had a nanosecond to make that decision.

A lot of those fumbles came on routine drops where either wade or Samuels were beaten from the snap. 3 of those came against new england.

however he still needs to try and protect the ball better.

Problem we needed to keep Dockery and pay him a premium to keep him tagged up with Samuels. We did lowball him and we could have gotten him for cheaper than what Buffalo paid him. Our Right side was running side. Jansen and Thomas were the best 2 in open space and best pulling duo in the league

Problem we needed to keep Dockery and pay him a premium to keep him tagged up with Samuels. We did lowball him and we could have gotten him for cheaper than what Buffalo paid him. Our Right side was running side. Jansen and Thomas were the best 2 in open space and best pulling duo in the league

I think you give to much credit to dockery

he was great at hitting his man and sustaining the block,but he never mauled anyone.

kendall is like a weaker less athletic version of dockery

efficient blocking and always getting their hand on their guy but never really mauling anyone.

dockery is just as talented as leanord davis in dallas but he's half the run blocker is,Id say dockery is a better pass blocker though he has quicker feet dockery would make a decent tackle unlike davis who couldnt handle speed rushers.

if you watch leanord davis run block you almost feel sorry the guy he's going against. he ragdolls pretty much anyone in front of him. as an overall guard I'd take davis over dockery.

I think you give to much credit to dockery

he was great at hitting his man and sustaining the block,but he never mauled anyone.

kendall is like a weaker less athletic version of dockery

efficient blocking and always getting their hand on their guy but never really mauling anyone.

dockery is just as talented as leanord davis in dallas but he's half the run blocker is,Id say dockery is a better pass blocker though he has quicker feet dockery would make a decent tackle unlike davis who couldnt handle speed rushers.

You are correct with your assessment. Thing is that Kendall never gets to the 2nd level which Dockery did. Samuels and Dockery knew each other so well. Dockery got familiar with Rabach too.

You are correct with your assessment. Thing is that Kendall never gets to the 2nd level which Dockery did. Samuels and Dockery knew each other so well. Dockery got familiar with Rabach too.

exactly

funny thing is,if I had to,I'd rather give an old guy like Alan Faneca dockery money than dockery.

faneca is still mauling people and should be for the next few years.

preferably I'd want to draft a stud OG in the 2nd-3rd round.

sign a FS in FA

and come draft time just hit on these 3 postions in the first 3 rounds and I'll be happy as a clam,WR/DE(or DT I'd prefer DE)/OG(OT but I'd prefer OG,almost interchangable)

I think kendall's shortcomings wouldn't be as obvious if randy thomas and jon jansen were healthy. he'd probably be just another efficent member of the crew. even people are showing less faith in chris samuels. which is moronic.

LT's dont grow on trees

I think kendall's shortcomings wouldn't be as obvious if randy thomas and jon jansen were healthy. he'd probably be just another efficent member of the crew. even people are showing less faith in chris samuels. which is moronic.

LT's dont grow on trees

Aint the truth. I feel that teams are so confident that they dont need to overload the right side of our line and are simply confident winning the 1 vs 1 battles meanwhile they are over pursing over Left side run and pass

Aint the truth. I feel that teams are so confident that they dont need to overload the right side of our line and are simply confident winning the 1 vs 1 battles meanwhile they are over pursing over Left side run and pass

possible

early in the season all we did is run behind the left and got mediocre results which isnt suprising.

I don't think many O-lines would survive losing their right side.

possible

early in the season all we did is run behind the left and got mediocre results which isnt suprising.

I don't think many O-lines would survive losing their right side.

Running Left was never our strong suit. Randy and Jansen were unbelievable in open space. Jansen despite suffering and not being what he used to be as a pass blocker still had it as a run blocker. Thomas and Jansen were so good at pulling

No offense but based on Samuels being tabbed as the league's best run blocker by Seth Joyner, our strong suit WAS running left. Just as it had been this year before everyone just figured you didn't even need to worry about the right side anymore.

Thomas was important, as was Jansen (whatever his difficulties in pass pro, which I think were overstated at times,) but we definitely favored left.

Archived