Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Reed Doughty the Long Term Answer at Safety?

2006Skins

No.

No.

and No.

Can you add a little more than that to the conversation... What other alternatives do you see?

It's too early to tell. However, if he continues his progression, I don't see why we can't give him a year in the starting SS role with Laron staying at FS

Can you add a little more than that to the conversation... What other alternatives do you see?

It's too early to tell. However, if he continues his progression, I don't see why we can't give him a year in the starting SS role with Laron staying at FS

There really isn't anything to add....

I watched him when he was with the UNC Bears, I watched his limited playing time in 06, and i've watched him during the Tampa Bay, Buffalo, and Chicago games. I enjoyed his last year or so with the Bears and I enjoyed watching him put that hit on Michael Lewis....that's about it~

The title of the topic is "Is Reed Doughty the Long Term Answer at Safety?" and my answer is No. There really is no need to get into details....

Now if the question was "Is Reed Doughty the Long Term Answer at Safety? If not, please explain", then I might just take the time to explain my reasoning. I know that sounds like a lame attempt at being a smart ass but I just don't think the topic deserves that much explanation.

He's just not good....I don't see any potential in him being "long term"

Now. You see? THIS is a well thought out post. Clearly states his reason for not believing this man deserves a shot. Points are made in a clear and decisive manner. I wish all posters would do the same thing in threads like this.

Oh wait...most do. :doh:

Less words resonate clearer. You want me to elaborate? Well he can't cover, he sucks at tackling, and he is slow. He doesn't hit hard, a key quality in a FS, and it seems like he has a weak demeanor.

Is that enough? Keep your comments to yourself. The question didn't deserve a garrolous answer because it is obvious that Reed Doughty sucks.

Less words resonate clearer. You want me to elaborate? Well he can't cover, he sucks at tackling, and he is slow. He doesn't hit hard, a key quality in a FS, and it seems like he has a weak demeanor.

Is that enough? Smartass, keep your comments to yourself. The question didn't deserve a garrolous answer because it is obvious that Reed Doughty sucks. Idiot.

Just an FYI for you he has been moved to SS and Landry to FS. However, his tackling is pretty good.

When you call people names, it takes away any credibility to your post.

I think Reed should be given more time to determine if he can continue to start in this league. I also think he is better at stopping the run than he is in coverage. Hopefully, he can work on that in the off-season and show improvement next year.

Like others have said, we may not have another option. I doubt we have cap space to sign a good veteran and we have more pressing needs with first day picks. If we get a player late in the draft that usually means a guy that needs to develop that may need a year or two which doesn't solve the immediate problem.

It is still just very sad that we even have this problem.

I'll take this one at a time. :D

Less words resonate clearer.

For you? Maybe. :whoknows:

You want me to elaborate? Well he can't cover

Based on what? Getting exploited by one of the best WRs in the league in his first start? Ahh...you're right. Get rid of em'! He's a bum! :doh:

he sucks at tackling

Hmmm...You may be right. 27 tackles in his first 4 games. That would only put him at 100 or so for a season. Terrible. I agree. :doh:

and he is slow

Based on? Have people run by him on a regular basis in his first 4 games? Oh wait. He's a Safety so he usually isn't lined up on the LOS so when did they run by him? Biting on a PA perhaps? I know. Again, you are right. NO safety has ever bit on a PA. At least not the good ones. :doh:

He doesn't hit hard, a key quality in a FS

Uh..I think someone already pointed out to you he is not playing FS. Then again, maybe you know better. :whoknows:

and it seems like he has a weak demeanor.

:laugh: :laugh: Sorry....but...:laugh: :laugh:

Is that enough? Smartass, keep your comments to yourself. The question didn't deserve a garrolous answer because it is obvious that Reed Doughty sucks. Idiot.
Yes that was fine. I enjoy having more to respond to than a one-liner. I know, I know. Further proof of me being an idiot. Thanks. :thumbsup:

I don't know really but I know after being spoiled with ST and then to have to be reduced to Reed, sorry we need something better back there. I don't see how he will remain the starter. He can work as hard as he can but if you don't have the athletic ability needed in today's NFL the best you can hope for is spot duty and special teams. Reed hasn't shown me anything personally but again I am biased we had the best Safety in the NFL but now we have to move on and Reed is not the answer.

We encourage members to engage in healthy, civil, and knowledgeable debate. When making claims such as yours, it is always better to go into detail as to why you're making such claims. For the reasons stated and a few more which should speak for themselves. Now, let's discuss the civil part. YOU, will keep your name calling to yourself. YOU will read the rules to understand why. This is your one warning on this. I would prefer you edit out those comments as soon as you can.

I'll be nice from now on.

Yes. Yes you will.

because their defensive backs, they all do the same thing just line up in different spots on defense, why is that so hard to switch from CB to FS? is not like its from offense to defense its still defensive back they still cover/tackle people dont they? :doh1:

CB and FS are completely different. They require different skill sets. You can't just put a fast kid at FS and hope for success, just like you can't just move a CB to FS and expect good results. Judging the ball in the air is different in the middle of the field, your view of the offense is different, and frankly the "strong side" of your body will be/needs to be different depending on which position you play.

Playing FS is intimidating because you normally have everything in front of you. As a corner you have the 12th man (sideline) and it really helps, both in run support and in covering routes.

You cannot actually believe that all Defensive Backs "do the same thing" while "lining up at different places on the field," can you?

I'll take this one at a time. :D

For you? Maybe. :whoknows:

Based on what? Getting exploited by one of the best WRs in the league in his first start? Ahh...you're right. Get rid of em'! He's a bum! :doh:

Hmmm...You may be right. 27 tackles in his first 4 games. That would only put him at 100 or so for a season. Terrible. I agree. :doh:

Based on? Have people run by him on a regular basis in his first 4 games? Oh wait. He's a Safety so he usually isn't lined up on the LOS so when did they run by him? Biting on a PA perhaps? I know. Again, you are right. NO safety has ever bit on a PA. At least not the good ones. :doh:

Uh..I think someone already pointed out to you he is not playing FS. Then again, maybe you know better. :whoknows:

:laugh: :laugh: Sorry....but...:laugh: :laugh:

Yes that was fine. I enjoy having more to respond to than a one-liner. I know, I know. Further proof of me being an idiot. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Sorry Mrs. Doughty. I didn't care for your satirical, sarcastic, and jeering response. Still don't. I just didn't feel like going into a lengthy answer of why I don't think your son is the long term answer at safety in my original response. To me he is an average safety at best, and I think he will demonstrate that as he continues to play. I hope he ends up being the next John Lynch, but I'm not counting on it. And I don't care if you are FS or SS, you need to hit hard. Anyway, I will write novels from now on and thoroughly explain my reasoning.

:nana:

Sorry Mrs. Doughty. I didn't care for your satirical, sarcastic, and jeering response. Still don't. I just didn't feel like going into a lengthy answer of why I don't think your son is the long term answer at safety in my original response. To me he is an average safety at best, and I think he will demonstrate that as he continues to play. I hope he ends up being the next John Lynch, but I'm not counting on it. And I don't care if you are FS or SS, you need to hit hard. Anyway, I will write novels from now on and thoroughly explain my reasoning.

:nana:

Have to agree with you. In limited time, I have seen very little to convince me that he has the range neccesary to play in GW's zone schemes. It may be a problem with the system, but Philly runs it pretty well with their current safety tandem so I have to assume its a personnel thing. Additionally, his body strength and hitting ability seem to be very average to below average.

Everyone seems to be in love with this Phillips guy from the U and I don't think there's as big of a problem at SS if we just mix up the packages. Doughty seems to be smart enough for the packages.

Phillips is good but he seems to try to imitate S. Taylor which isn't a bad thing but you have to play within yourself. Phillips is more gifted athletically than Doughty though.

Hopefully Landry can adjust to being a FS and Doughty a SS. Because Corner will be a need next year, and we are still in need of a good young left end.

Springs is likely to be gone after this year. Rogers will be coming off of a major knee injury. And Daniels is ancient and injury prone.

We'll be needing a corner, offensive line help and a left end more than we'll need a safety.

Archived