Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Reed Doughty the Long Term Answer at Safety?

2006Skins

I like Reed and he has played well, but he just doesn't have the physical stature to be a great safety. IMO, we need to look for another stud at safety to replace Sean.

I find this funny, since so many people wanted to keep Ryan Clark, and he's smaller than Doughty.

I think some of us were so spoiled with Taylor that we don't know what the average Safety looks like. I say, so far, so good.

Jason

Sometimes Zoeboy you can't let perfect be the enemy of good. Doughty has played well enough at SS to warrant another year to see how he'll develop. Besides, as I said earlier we just don't have much of a choice.

If he's shown to be too limited next season then we can address that in the 2009 offseason. However, with the kind of time QBs have been getting when we rush 4 and play coverage, even #21 wouldn't help us enough to get us over the hump. We need pass rush pressure and an OL that can keep Campbell upright and help us sustain offense in the 2nd half.

i have no idea what your talking about Doughty is not good enough to start in the NFL. you agree he doesnt make an impact and our scheme is different with him in the game. So if our defense was so solid in the preseason leading up to NE, why are we not progressing? we cant cause Doughty is a back up player, he can fill in for a couple series but not a starter. I say we move Springs to FS next year and draft K Phillips to play CB, hes a pure DB if Rogers isnt ready to go he can start opening day and make more of an impact then Doughty.

Sometimes Zoeboy you can't let perfect be the enemy of good. Doughty has played well enough at SS to warrant another year to see how he'll develop. Besides, as I said earlier we just don't have much of a choice.
ever heard of "practice makes perfect", its not like hes a rookie, oh year a rookie beat him out for the starting job. I guess his talents are better served on special teams huh?

ever heard of "practice makes perfect", its not like hes a rookie, oh year a rookie beat him out for the starting job. I guess his talent are better served on special teams huh?

What's a better option? He has shown improvement and has done his job. He's still young and he can improve.

What's a better option? He has shown improvement and has done his job. He's still young and he can improve.
what improvement are you talking about? the defense has degressed with him in the line up, i dont see any big plays being made other than Fletcher having to cover WR's and Landry covering deep instead of intimidating offense at the LOS there was a element of dictation that we lost on defense, now its a read and react approach GW scheme is better suited with 2 talented Safties not 1 and a back up

ever heard of "practice makes perfect", its not like hes a rookie, oh year a rookie beat him out for the starting job. I guess his talents are better served on special teams huh?

uuuum, maybe because that rookie was drafted 6th overall. Maybe he is just better then Doughty?

having that said, he has played very well this year.

How do you think he feels? He knows he is not the starter. He knows his position was ST's position ( well, not right now if you wanna get technical). Imagine having to play with that on your shoulders. Knowing you have to replace someone who cant be replaced.

He has done way better then everyone expected, and he deserves your respect.

uuuum, maybe because that rookie was drafted 6th overall. Maybe he is just better then Doughty?

having that said, he has played very well this year.

How do you think he feels? He knows he is not the starter. He knows his position was ST's position ( well, not right now if you wanna get technical). Imagine having to play with that on your shoulders. Knowing you have to replace someone who cant be replaced.

He has done way better then everyone expected, and he deserves your respect.

i didnt say cut him, hes a fine Special team player and could fit into some packages but if you want to win football games average aint gonna cut it sometimes you need playmakers to make big plays to win football games

what improvement are you talking about? the defense has degressed with him in the line up, i dont see any big plays being made other than Fletcher having to cover WR's and Landry covering deep instead of intimidating offense at the LOS there was a element of dictation that we lost on defense, now its a read and react approach GW scheme is better suited with 2 talented Safties not 1 and a back up

With all due respect, I think we've all been spoiled by having Area51 for half the year. Any safety taking over after this tragedy would look awful.

That being said, I would still like to hear your thoughts on how we could find a better option... A rookie? That's not much improvement, especially when we already have 2 young players. A rookie wouldn't help for the next couple of years.

i didnt say cut him, hes a fine Special team player and could fit into some packages but if you want to win football games average aint gonna cut it sometimes you need playmakers to make big plays to win football games

It just looks worse then it is because C-los is out for the year. Next year smoot will go back to playing in Nickel formations, instead of having eubanks or Torrence. This will cover any "defiency" you see. Really, what has he done that was so bad, outside of the questionable PI call on TO

With all due respect, I think we've all been spoiled by having Area51 for half the year. Any safety taking over after this tragedy would look awful.

That being said, I would still like to hear your thoughts on how we could find a better option... A rookie? That's not much improvement, especially when we already have 2 young players. A rookie wouldn't help for the next couple of years.

Why discriminate after a tragady? these things happen and we have to move on ST RIP... Phillips would play the #2 CB spot with smoot if rogers isnt 100%, move springs to FS and landry back where he belongs at SS. That would make for the best Defensive backfield in the league when rogers returns continue to develop Phillips as a hybrid DB that can play multilple spots.

Zoeboy=tunnel vision personified. I never said Doughty was the be all/end all of safeties. Rather, my point was that he's good enough to get us through another season given the deficiencies we have on both our lines.

Quiz: What's the most glaring difference in terms of player talent from Gibbs 1.0 to Gibbs 2.0. *Hint* Mann/Manley vs. Carter/Daniels, The Hogs vs. half a Dirtbag. No contest-fix the lines first. Otherwise, our DBs will continue to try to cover opposing receivers for weeks at a time on each play and Campbell will have to call up Lester Hayes to get his recipe for stickum...not exactly a recipe for success.

It just looks worse then it is because C-los is out for the year. Next year smoot will go back to playing in Nickel formations, instead of having eubanks or Torrence. This will cover any "defiency" you see. Really, what has he done that was so bad, outside of the questionable PI call on TO
thats my point what has he done? FFs? INTs? Tackles for lost yards? what some body say something other than posting a couple of gang tackles. He doesnt intimidate anybody and its so obvious GW had to change his defensive scheme to protect his coverage issues the kid has little to no range but is great on Special Teams

Why discriminate after a tragady? these things happen and we have to move on ST RIP... Phillips would play the #2 CB spot with smoot if rogers isnt 100%, move springs to FS and landry back where he belongs at SS. That would make for the best Defensive backfield in the league when rogers returns continue to develop Phillips as a hybrid DB that can play multilple spots.

Mr. z0eboy,

Why in the hell would you want to move landry back to SS? He has played much better at the FS position. Nearly picked off 2 last thursday. Come on, now i think your just making up things for the sake of arguing!

I think as long as we disguise his problems in coverage he can be a pretty decent Strong Safety. He has to play in the box though.

With the league trending towards more open, pass-oriented offenses, it is going to become more difficult to disguise weaknesses, and a premium is going to be placed on cover safeties. Doughty is good locker room presence, willing to play teams and put time in the film room and work, but he's not the answer at safety. Landry is the SS. Doughty is a def. a guy you need on a team, and I like him a lot, I hope he stays here for a long time. Since he's started we gave up 28 to the cowboys, played against a rookie QB in Trent Edwards, and then the putrid Bears passing attack. Smoot and Springs have played excellent since we've been running mostly man coverage since Taylor pased. Getting depth in the later rounds, or adding a younger veteran, (Derrick Strait or Mike Doss), could help and form a platoon dime and nickel package.

Doughty is a true redskins and a def. success story, hey, he's much better than Matt Bowen or Brad Edwards, thank god.

thats my point what has he done? FFs? INTs? Tackles for lost yards? what some body say something other than posting a couple of gang tackles. He doesnt intimidate anybody and its so obvious GW had to change his defensive scheme to protect his coverage issues the kid has little to no range but is great on Special Teams

how many INT's does landry have? FF's? what is it, 1? maybe 2.

Your right, GW did need to change his scheme, and it's worked out great. No TD's allowed against the Bucs. No TD's allowed vs the Bills. 1 TD allowed vs the Bears.

Sadly your trying to compare him to ST it sounds like. Thats not fair IMO

Zoeboy=tunnel vision personified. I never said Doughty was the be all/end all of safeties. Rather, my point was that he's good enough to get us through another season given the deficiencies we have on both our lines.

Quiz: What's the most glaring difference in terms of player talent from Gibbs 1.0 to Gibbs 2.0. *Hint* Mann/Manley vs. Carter/Daniels, The Hogs vs. half a Dirtbag. No contest-fix the lines first. Otherwise, our DBs will continue to try to cover opposing receivers for weeks at a time on each play and Campbell will have to call up Lester Hayes to get his recipe for stickum...not exactly a recipe for success.

we can pick up cheap talent at the rookie camp (joe gibbs idea) Eubanks, S Heyer and C Wilson are perfect examples of guys that dont cost anything and contribute players like L Torrence and M Espy are guys from last years camp we look at 100's of Undrafted RFA

Mr. z0eboy,

Why in the hell would you want to move landry back to SS? He has played much better at the FS position. Nearly picked off 2 last thursday. Come on, now i think your just making up things for the sake of arguing!

Because Springs is better at FS with his $8 mil salary :rolleyes:

Archived