Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Reed Doughty the Long Term Answer at Safety?

2006Skins

Reed Doughty has only started 3 games. Since the move to SS and Laron to FS they have done a pretty good job. Doughty's stats below...

3 Games Started

34 Total Tackles

GSTotalSoloAst Sck

3 34 21 13 0.5

I know it's early to tell. But I thought I would play a little Tuesday night QB. :)

If he continues to improve, I don't think it would be a bad idea to let him stay at SS for next year to see if he can grow into the lineup. The chemistry seems to be there with the rest of the D. There's not much cap room to sign anyone and it would be a shame to use a draft pick this year when there is more glaring needs on the team.

HTTR:point2sky

Wouldn't it be cool to be a spectator in a coach's meeting? Do we continue to play prevent defense from the start of the game with safeties 30 yards deep? Could an explanation of our defensive let-downs late in the game (bill's final drive, i.e.) be contributable to tired defensive backs running up and down the field play after play after play?

M'eh, Let the man stay and show what he can do after a collection of starts. I just hope that we never ever ever have to rely on Eubanks to save us. IMHO

Im sorry but my mind keeps going to the fact that we should not have to have this topic up for discussion. We should be talking about who was going to ge lost in Area 51 next. But I guess we have to move on.

I think as long as we disguise his problems in coverage he can be a pretty decent Strong Safety. He has to play in the box though.

Im sorry but my mind keeps going to the fact that we should not have to have this topic up for discussion. We should be talking about who was going to ge lost in Area 51 next. But I guess we have to move on.

I think as long as we disguise his problems in coverage he can be a pretty decent Strong Safety. He has to play in the box though.

One your first point, you're right. This topic should be non existant.

Second, I think if we use Pierson on 3rd and long situations it would help the coverage.

Reed making plays in coverage will come with more and more game reps. I think he can make a pretty good strong safety. He has good tackling instincts and he is pretty good at getting out to the flats. He comes up to the ball fast and is tough. If it aint broke dont fix it. He's a tough guy, hes a smart guy, and most importantly hes a homegrown guy. I would feel awkward with someone else coming here to play safety. I feel a little better knowing the two guys Sean Taylor worked with are getting their fair shake to play for their fallen friend.

What is this supposed to mean?

if youre asking about the toping being non existent part..

i think it means that the ST tragedy should never have happened. we shouldnt be talking about reed as a starting safety on this team. we should be talking about who ST and LL would lay out next week.

When we drafted him, I remember hearing someone describe him as a "Pat Tillman clone." He really is a blue collar guy, and you can tell he is out there working his butt off. Just remember that he is having to step in for a legend. Reed's not a great player, but has a great heart. I hope he can stick around because he can be a "true" Redskin.

perfectly said, in other words hes a liability on defense. low playmaking ability and cant blow up plays solo, no range what so ever the play literally has to be infront of him. hes smart so hes in position more times than not but whats the point if he cant make a consistant impact at SS. Reed is a good package/role player but not a everydown starter :2cents:

I think most people saw Dought when he played FS and wanted him gone. Now he's playing his position at SS and excelling at it. I think we should attempt to keep up the chemistry.
how is he excelling? hard hits? INTs? FFs? what??? come on what chemistry are you talking about? because hes being protected by the coverage scheme. SS is an aggressive position RD is average at best.

We really don't have a choice. Landry has to play FS for us and Doughty will be our SS for at least another season anyway. We just don't have the cap or draft resources to devote to safety right now. We've got to fix our lines first and foremost.

Doughty might not be great but given his experience and talent, he's good enough. He's never going to be a game changer, but he could very well develop into a fairly decent player.

We really don't have a choice. Landry has to play FS for us and Doughty will be our SS for at least another season anyway. We just don't have the cap or draft resources to devote to safety right now. We've got to fix our lines first and foremost.

Doughty might not be great but given his experience and talent, he's good enough. He's never going to be a game changer, but he could very well develop into a fairly decent player.

when you use words like "fairly decent" that means your not sold on him and neither am I. The redskins are smart enough to work something out if they feel it will get them over the hump were taking steps back in defense after losing our centerpiece ST RIP i doubt the scheme of the defense was built for 1 great saftey and a fairly decent one :2cents:

Archived