Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Just wondering, can you break down Coach Gibbs' fan support by age?

81ArtMonk81

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

If coach wants to come back for one more year I'm ok with that. He's earned it.

That said, I have to sadly concede he's not the coach he once was.

So how do I answer the question?

This is how I feel. Like the OP said, after Gibbs first era I always dreamed he would come back, but since his return I have been in disagreement with so many decisions made, especially regarding personnel and game management, that it leaves me torn. But if he wants to return I am for it, mainly b/c I fear another coaching overhaul, or having Gregg Williams as our HC.

First, your poll is completely uneven. I like the subtle attempts at using harsher language for some over other. I still will never understand why people try and manipulate polls like that, like no one will notice.

Second, I dont think you can break it down. I know in my house the person most calling for his head is my Dad, who saw him and loved him the first time around. In fact, that wouldnt completely surprise me to see the older generation showing less support for Gibbs. Why? Because they SAW how good he was the first time around. They remember the success, and they see now that its just not like how it was. To the younger generation, all we know is failure year in and year out, so its nothing different with Gibbs. We dont remember what he was like(outside of hearing stories), and what the teams were like, so we cant compare it.

This is the first thread I've started here, I've been a 'skins fan as long as I can remember, my first memories of football go way back to Coach Gibbs' first year here in D.C. (I still vaguely remember the 0-5 start:doh: )

Anyways, I remember the post-Gibbs I years & recall fantasizing about Coach Gibbs one day returning to lead the 'skins back to glory!:notworthy

Now that it's happened I am still a staunch supporter of Coach Gibbs & definitely hope he'll be back next year. I'm posting a poll to see if his support can be broken down by age...please vote, thanks!

:dallasuck

:helmet: It appears this poll shows age doesn't matter in terms of opinion.

i'm as surprised as many of you seeing the results of the poll, i guessed that the young'ns would be more apt to be calling for Coach's head (as stated in my first post, just from reading some of the post from the last 10 days or so, it seemed like alot of the 20-somethings were very vocal in their calls for yet another change)

Wish I could live in the past, and his 3 SB trophies are the best thing that has ever happened to this franchise, but sadly, I'm ready for a more modern coach who knows the nuances of today's game. No more Riggo Drill. No more 3 yards and a cloud of dust. I want to wing it all over the place.

i'm not sure why everyone keeps bagging on Coach Gibbs conservative approach, what's wrong w/ expecting your O-line to be able to make enough holes/space for CP to gain 10 yards in 3 plays at the end of games? (although i will admit, i think he does go into this shell way too early at times)

I don't like this poll because there is no option to let Gibbs decide if he should stay or not. Part of the injury problem is the personnel issues we've had for 4 years now.

didn't include that option b/c that's how i assume it will work out. i don't believe that he'll be fired...& the personnel issues have been existent for longer than 4 yrs, IMO

I'm with you. This is something I've mentioned many times before:

In 1981, Gibbs was not hired to rebuild the team. The Redskins had Cooke and Beathard. The team had Theismann, Riggins, Monk, The Hoggs, Richie Pettibone and the defense. Pardee coached the team from 78-80. Gibbs was brought in to be the Offensive Coordinator/Head Coach. He did not make personnel decisions. Gibbs was young and hungry with new ideas. Gibbs was given much of the credit for the Team's success in the 80's. Beathard felt slighted and left after the 1987 season. In the 80's the Redskins always had the better defensive and offensive line and could win close games.

This time, Gibbs does not have the luxuries, resources or support he had in the 80s.

in 2004, Gibbs was brought in to Rebuild the team. He does not do this and he does not know how to do this.

Now, all his faults and weaknesses are being surfaced.

Hiring Gibbs in the first place was a bad idea by Snyder. It was more of a marketing gimmick than anything else. Nobody on this team has a clue how to build a winning team.

The idea of hiring Gibbs in the first place was the big mistake. It's just one quick fix after another.:coach:

understand what you're saying...i think the biggest mistake this time (& throughout Danny Snyder's ownership) has been not hiring "football people" ,i.e. a GM, to do what they do. Vinny Cerrato IMO is clueless & while Snyder's obviously one heck of a businessman, being a football fan makes him no more or less qualiifed to make personnel decisions than you or I; IIRC, he did give Schottenheimer control of personnel decisons but then fired him after a yr (to bring in the "ol' ball coach"!:doh: talk about a marketing decision

Where is the "I'm > 35 and realize that the current problems facing this franchise started long before Gibbs returned and will most likely continute (or get worse) after he leaves" option?

& it's a shame...IMO ownership wants so badly to have a winner...Mr. Snyder needs a competent GM...he's not qualified to run a football franchise, no matter how successful a businessman he is

First, your poll is completely uneven. I like the subtle attempts at using harsher language for some over other. I still will never understand why people try and manipulate polls like that, like no one will notice.

not sure what you're complaining about...just an attempt at humor?

Archived