Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shout Out to our Special Teams RE: Devin Hester

arkowi

Not to take anything away from what Devin Hester has done in his returns (it's nothing short of amazing), but watching the pre-game yesterday and listening to Gum Ball and Chicken Head you would have thought we were going to single-handedly be destroyed by Devin Hester. They joked many times during pre-game about how we were going to just kick it away from him.

What did we do? We came out and played our game. I remember them kicking it to him directly several times, and our Special Teams came up very big every time. Once, I think he was even stopped for a loss.

Of topic..., I remember Gum Ball almost having a stroke when Hester lined up at receiver. Of course he was quickly picked by Springs and almost returned for a touchdown. I don't know how they expected Hester to make that catch with Gum Ball and Deion's lips attached to his hind quarters.

I don't understand. Frost seemed like he was averaging 30 yards a punt because he was so afraid to punt it to Hester and punting out of bounds. That 57 yarder out of bounds was beautiful, but the rest sucked. Not to mention the kickoff that actually went out of bounds.

I think the gameplan was good since it prevented touchdowns, but we pretty much did what pitchers did to Barry Bonds when he was hitting home runs. We gave Hester the base and prevented the homers.

Yeah, we did a great job containing him. Can't say I wasn't scared as hell every time he touched the ball though.

Aint that the truth. Hesters the best ever in the game at returning kicks. The Special Teams played probably there best game of the year and thats saying it even though we missed two feild goals, kicked it out of bounds on a kick off, and let an onsides kick go between our legs. Had Hester had a big return last night we would have lost the game. My hats off to Mix and the rest of the special teamers. When we needed you the most you shined the brightest :applause:

I think the gameplan was good since it prevented touchdowns, but we pretty much did what pitchers did to Barry Bonds when he was hitting

home runs. We gave Hester the base and prevented the homers.

With our Defense giving up one TD in the last two games, that was exactly the right game plan to use. Great coaching. If you think we should have kicked to him ask Denver fans if thats the right thing to do, they found out the hard way how game changing Hester is with the ball.

I don't understand. Frost seemed like he was averaging 30 yards a punt because he was so afraid to punt it to Hester and punting out of bounds. That 57 yarder out of bounds was beautiful, but the rest sucked. Not to mention the kickoff that actually went out of bounds.

I think the gameplan was good since it prevented touchdowns, but we pretty much did what pitchers did to Barry Bonds when he was hitting home runs. We gave Hester the base and prevented the homers.

I agree with you. It might have been wimpy, but we didn't lose the game by giving the ball to their most viable option for scoring an unlikely touchdown.

I'd say every kick that went out of bounds was by design. Think about it. Punting is most dangerous because you have to make sure you BLOCK properly first. Plust the players may not be as fast/sure tackling as the kickoff team. Just kick it out of bounds 30 or 40 yards downfield. Guaranteed no big play but you give them the equivalent of an above average return (unless you hit it really well). Pretty sound strategy to me.

The kicked kickoffs to him the whole game (squibs mostly) until the end. At that point they had an 11 point lead and time was on their side. Would you rather have him return it for a TD in 12 seconds or have Brian Griese 60 yards away and needing 2 scores? I know what I'd do.

Remember too, a lot of the kickoff decisions throughout the game were made easier by the fact that the Skins were winning. You may have seen more out of bounds kick offs if the game was less secure.

it could have gone either way, if he took one to the house on one of those kick-offs we kicked to him... this post would be way different. I saw how he almost broke containment before anthony mix brought him down.

kudos to the ST, i always had faith in them, but you gotta give respect to devin hester, man is a scary beast on kickoffs

Archived