Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Landrys speed

dwbiggs

He had the fastest time for a safety at the combine and did run under a 4.4

That doesn;t translate to game speed. He is very fast, but as far as chasing ball carriers he doesn't walk people down like Sean did.

Landry might stay at FS the rest of the season, but we need to address this need in the offseason because I don't think we currently have the answer as to whom to pair with Landry.

He definitely has another gear and unbelievable closing speed.

That being said, I think he is far too versatile and has too many strengths to pin him to FS at all times. He blitzes too well to be a FS all the time. If we can land a real FS in the off-season, I say leave LaRon at SS.

He just seems to be doing everything right lately. Very solid player with a bright future.

He definitely has another gear and unbelievable closing speed.

That being said, I think he is far too versatile and has too many strengths to pin him to FS at all times. He blitzes too well to be a FS all the time. If we can land a real FS in the off-season, I say leave LaRon at SS.

He just seems to be doing everything right lately. Very solid player with a bright future.

What you just said was all ST man :( . I think with his speed is more of a value at FS because he can take away the deep game which BTW is how 2/3rds of teams attack in the NFL.

Except for that unbelievably moronic late hit he layed on the Bear WR. Just stupid rookie mistake I guess.

have u seen sean taylor play first 3 years as a pro?

heck taylor basically lost us the vikings game with his late hits

thats what young safties tend to do they learn from it.

What you just said was all ST man :( . I think with his speed is more of a value at FS because he can take away the deep game which BTW is how 2/3rds of teams attack in the NFL.

Thats what I think...a safety with that speed needs to be in coverage. Lets find a strong safety next year...have my doubts about Doughty...though he does play hard.

Minus that intimidation factor (so far) ST carried onto the field with him.

It's hard to even talk about the kid without thinking of or comparing him to Sean. :( Unfair to LaRon, but those comparisons will continue for quite a while.

I disagree, however about him being a FS, at the moment. Maybe in time, but I think he has other talents and intangibles to provide the team now and also isn't quite ready to be strictly a FS.

I wasn't able to see this game... but so far this season it's like LaRon flies under the radar. QB's don't seem to see him - and I love that. I was listening to NFL radio this morning and whoever was analyzing the game said the same thing - neither Grossman or Griese seemed to see Landry at all. :applause:

Laron has been used in run support more, though he was more of a hybrid FS/SS type in college I believe. He would blitz really well, play the line, or play it deep. Scouts said he was a great cover safety, and people thought he could cover better than Sean and that we should use Sean as a SS instead.

However, we have seen how Sean being sent to cover more improved his game, not having to worry about playing the line like last year due to an incompetent SS.

Laron will probably be made a FS by next season, but that doesn't mean he will stop blitzing or playing the line.

Landry should be kept at free safety

He has speed, he can hit and tackle and he has ball hawking ability. If he had hands he would have had 2 int's last night

You can still blitz him from the FS spot. And everyone seems to forget, the man has started from week 1. He is a very smart football player.

We should keep him back there and develop him that way.

I think we are lucky that Laron IS that versatile right now and we can throw him at either strong of free depending on the game plan we want to have. Against the bears, we knew our front four would probably create a good amount of pressure on their OL, so we felt we didn't need Laron hunting for QB blood :)

Love seeing him on the field anywhere...

I think I heard Collinsworth say that Landry had 4.3 speed....is this correct? If so, he should definately remain at free safety...he could cover as much field as Sean did with that kind of speed.

Landry definitely has the speed to do it, but Taylor's height, wingspan, and great leaping ability, matched with his speed, allowed him to make plays that Landry may have narrowly missed. After all football is a game of inches. I personally think Landry can play either S, we just need to upgrade the other starting S. Taking nothing away from Doughty and his performance last night, I just see him as a backup/ST caliber player.

I like Laron at FS... and from what I've seen Doughty is stepping it up every game he's in there. He has good play recognition and instincts. I think they may actually make a good tandem. I think the next three games in Doughty's audition for the SS position.

Except for that unbelievably moronic late hit he layed on the Bear WR. Just stupid rookie mistake I guess.

You know what, I'll take that hit. Sure it was bad timing and a really bad place on the field to commit the foul but did Mushin do anything in that game last night? No, he was scared of Landry. I like that.

Geez, you guys act as if having two first round safeties is a requirement for any effective defense. It ain't so! Landry is a rookie and is going to make rookie mistakes the same way that Taylor made those mistakes. Taylor was flagged for late hits all the time.

Evidently, the coaches saw the same thing that a few of the fans saw and moved Landry to FS and Doughty to SS. You guys knock Doughty all the time but remember that for all intents and purposes he's a rookie. He has less starts than Landry. Considering that the Skins are playing two rookies at safety they did pretty well.

The only knock I have on the defense was that Williams was again becoming surprisingly predictable. Every down it seemed he was calling an all out blitz. It worked at first but as the game went on the Bears started to beat it either with better blocking or with screen passes. The first part of the year was all deep cover 3 with huge gaps over the LBs and last night it was all blitzes. What happened to his ability to keep everything disguised? It used to be an Offense never knew where the blitz was coming from. Or, they would disguise blitz and fall back into coverage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwbiggs

You know what, I'll take that hit. Sure it was bad timing and a really bad place on the field to commit the foul but did Mushin do anything in that game last night? No, he was scared of Landry. I like that.

Yeah in hindsight you take that hit...but what if Chicago scored 7 on that and won the game? We can't afford many mistakes like that...unless Collins unleashes and offensive fury :point2sky

Geez, you guys act as if having two first round safeties is a requirement for any effective defense. It ain't so! Landry is a rookie and is going to make rookie mistakes the same way that Taylor made those mistakes. Taylor was flagged for late hits all the time.

Evidently, the coaches saw the same thing that a few of the fans saw and moved Landry to FS and Doughty to SS. You guys knock Doughty all the time but remember that for all intents and purposes he's a rookie. He has less starts than Landry. Considering that the Skins are playing two rookies at safety they did pretty well.

The only knock I have on the defense was that Williams was again becoming surprisingly predictable. Every down it seemed he was calling an all out blitz. It worked at first but as the game went on the Bears started to beat it either with better blocking or with screen passes. The first part of the year was all deep cover 3 with huge gaps over the LBs and last night it was all blitzes. What happened to his ability to keep everything disguised? It used to be an Offense never knew where the blitz was coming from. Or, they would disguise blitz and fall back into coverage.

Williams may have become predictable but I don't think thats why they started moving the ball. They didn't start moving the ball until Smoot went out.

Archived