Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ravens Fans vs. Redskins fans

kobra860

I come down on this issue from both sides. I've been a die-hard Skins fan since I was about five years old. At the same age, I also began my lifelong love affair with the Baltimore Orioles. I have family connections to both cities, and I see both sides of the coin. When the O's come to DC to play the Nats, I'm one of those hated out-of-town fans that we talk about here at FedEx. I'll probably try to get tickets next season when the Skins go up to Baltimore also. There are great things about both cities, and I love them both as my "hometowns." I wish that the two towns would get along better. I'm the first one to say that I think that Johnny Unitas is the greatest QB of all time. Baltimore and Washington have great football and baseball traditions. I root for the Ravens and Nationals as my second favorite team in their respective sports. Without a doubt, there's somewhat of an inferiority complex when it comes to Baltimore football since they were without it for awhile. Consequently, the same thing exists with DC baseball. In the same respect, we also have to remember that for years the two cities were in the same division in both sports, so naturally a lot of that hatred still exists. I suppose it's easy for me to say as a guy that's about to turn 27, but currently none of the cities' teams are in the same division, so it seems to me that we could all sort of root for each other in to collectively support the region. I don't know...just my take.

Man, you can't accuse the Ravens fans of being fair weather. They set an attendance record last night when they knew they had no chance of making the play-offs.

I think it would be a disgrace if Skins fans didn't show up in more impressive numbers for our remaining home games.

Is there a reason why the Ravens fans hate the Redskins? I go to school in Baltimore and when I wear my Redskins stuff, they're always dissing the Skins. Why is that? (Move this to Around the NFL if necessary).

I live in Baltimore also, out East and I have yet to encounter any friction from a Ravens fan when I have Redskins paraphenalia on. The Ravens fans I've encountered in Baltimore have engaged in football conversation with me and nothing more/nothing less. I believe my demanor demands respect, as well I give respect to all strangers whom I encounter. Sometimes I notice fans of NFL teams carry an attitude about theirself as to be invincible along with the team, and I believe that is when other fans of teams will pick a bone with you. I love the Redskins, and I love the sport of football, so it is a joy to engage in football conversation with fans from other teams. I hate to know that you run into some opposition up here in Baltimore, but I've never had that problem while living out here. HTTR

I come down on this issue from both sides. I've been a die-hard Skins fan since I was about five years old. At the same age, I also began my lifelong love affair with the Baltimore Orioles. I have family connections to both cities, and I see both sides of the coin. When the O's come to DC to play the Nats, I'm one of those hated out-of-town fans that we talk about here at FedEx. I'll probably try to get tickets next season when the Skins go up to Baltimore also. There are great things about both cities, and I love them both as my "hometowns." I wish that the two towns would get along better. I'm the first one to say that I think that Johnny Unitas is the greatest QB of all time. Baltimore and Washington have great football and baseball traditions. I root for the Ravens and Nationals as my second favorite team in their respective sports. Without a doubt, there's somewhat of an inferiority complex when it comes to Baltimore football since they were without it for awhile. Consequently, the same thing exists with DC baseball. In the same respect, we also have to remember that for years the two cities were in the same division in both sports, so naturally a lot of that hatred still exists. I suppose it's easy for me to say as a guy that's about to turn 27, but currently none of the cities' teams are in the same division, so it seems to me that we could all sort of root for each other in to collectively support the region. I don't know...just my take.

edit: I've noticed Ravens fans carry an immeasurable amount of pride for their team and they are knowledgeable fans when knowing what to do while attending a game in comparison to some of our fanbase.

edit: I've noticed Ravens fans carry an immeasurable amount of pride for their team and they are knowledgeable fans when knowing what to do while attending a game in comparison to some of our fanbase.

That's exactly why I'm glad Snyder wants to build a new stadium on the RFK site. All FedEx does is encourage idiots and out of towners.

There is one and only one reason, after the colts left they blame the Redskins for not letting them get a new team. Many Baltimorons never got on the Redskins bandwagon, in fact they developed a pure hatred...and then we stole the Bullets from them....they despise the Redskins. I work in Baltimore and have plenty of ribbing from Ratbird fans.

They have an inferiority complex because they know, no matter what they say, that deep down in their hearts they really have no connection to the Baltimore Colts even if they say they do.

They are and will always be formerly the Cleveland Browns.

YES. I'm glad you said that. And, for the record, only started rooting against them every game when I had the most annoyed Ravens fan roommate. He, with his love/hate thing for Kyle Boller...just being a fair weather type fan. Plus the purple camo. I just hate that too. And the Mardi Gras beads.

I'm sleeping with a Ravens fan (literally my gf is sleeping next to me right now) and have embraced them a lil bit. It helps that they are in the AFC so we hardly ever play them.

Also think about how similar both teams are

mississippi QBs with fumbling problems

The U connection at RB, LB, and FS (rip sean)

The problems on Offense

The good defense (althought they take the cake on that one)

2 Landry Brothers

Awesome TEs

Currently on losing streaks.

Stupid Time Out calls to lose the game at the last minute.

etc... etc...etc

I totally agree with you man, both of us stinks this year. our only advantage is that our future at QB is something to look forward to while they have a washed up QB.

I usually root against the Ravens b/c most of their fans are extremely fair weathered.

IF you knew anything about the old Colts and how they were a part of Baltimore just like their fans, then you will know why most (not all) baltimore fans stayed away from the Redskins until they got their team back.

Imagine the Redskins leaving b/c Dan Snyder thought he could make more money in Vegas or something like that, would we become Ravens Fans b/c we are close? Hell no, i'd be bitter until we got a football team back.

The Ravens had their team stolen, History and everything. Johnny U was never in Indy. When the Browns moved, the city of Cleverland kept their history for a future team. Baltimore didn't get that luxury, but doesn't make them fair weathered b/c "their team didn't even exist"

And before you hate on a team that moved from another city, don't forget the Redskins came from Boston.

(I'm writing this to get brownie points)

"The problem with ravens fans is that they are mostly fickle, fairweather/bandwagon fans, they have only been around for 10 years so they obviously had to like someone else first (and left the bandwagon for the ravens when they were the new sexy team)"

So Nats fans are fickle? This is a ridculous argument. I root for a city. Everything with Washington. Most Ravens fans are the same way. This is how it should be.

I hate the Maryland State flag on there field. No other team in sports puts the state flag in their emblem.

Uh, Houston Texans? Looks like the Texas state flag to me....

di4q02-062-4.gif

texasFlag3.jpg

Uh, Columbus Blue Jackets? Looks like the Ohio flag to me....

thirdlogoICE_215.gif

ohio-flag.jpg

There is one and only one reason, after the colts left they blame the Redskins for not letting them get a new team. Many Baltimorons never got on the Redskins bandwagon, in fact they developed a pure hatred...and then we stole the Bullets from them....they despise the Redskins. I work in Baltimore and have plenty of ribbing from Ratbird fans.

Ding ,ding ,ding We have a winner ! :point2sky

They blame JKC and the Redskins , Commissioner Pete Rosell (spelling ) , and the NFL for having no team for over 10 yrs , B-more was sure they would get one of the expansion Teams Panthers /Jags . When they were passed up the city was told Washington /Balt could be a big combined market that B-more didn't show enough support for its Colt franchise when they had it . B-more fans will say that they had there team stolen from them , Fact of the matter is they had a owner that was a drunk and a Mayor at the time who was a complete hard head. Irrsay wanted a new stadium and Mayor Schaffer wasn't willing to build one , Irray threatened to move his team out , Schaffer called his bluff , and Irrsay brought in the Mayflowers. B-more fans want to blame everyone except themselves for there woes. I grew up in B-more and have always supported both the Redskins and the Colts at the time . When the Colts left i put all my energy and loyality to the Redskins and haven't looked back .

One other thing about B-more fans and their hate , they always complain the NFL Hates them , like the other nights game , the NFL wanted the Pats to win :rolleyes: , AND what exactly did b-more and its city officals do to the city of cleveland and it's Browns ?? :doh:

Is there a reason why the Ravens fans hate the Redskins? I go to school in Baltimore and when I wear my Redskins stuff, they're always dissing the Skins. Why is that? (Move this to Around the NFL if necessary).

Actually, I might be able to shed some insight on the root of the Baltimore-Washington rivalry, as told to me by legendary Baltimore sportscaster Vince Bagli.

To give you some background, I majored in broadcast journalism at American University, wanting to be a sportscaster. AU has a lot of students from out of state, especially New Yorkers who hate the Redskins, are die-hard Giants fans and think the Skins get way too much local media coverage. That dynamic motivated me to write a paper, asking the question on whether or not the Redskins do indeed get too much coverage in D.C.

One aspect on that paper focused on the D.C. area adopting the Baltimore Orioles as their baseball team, since the second incarnation of the Senators had left town in '71. Because the Colts bolted from Baltimore for Indianapolis a few years before the time I wrote the paper, I called Vince Bagli and asked him if the people of Baltimore might do the same thing with the Redskins. He said, and I quote, "Absolutely, not!" Bagli related the story of late Skins owner George Preston Marshall berating a Colts player after a game against the two teams, which left a bad taste in the mouths of the player's teammates and the rest of Charm City. So, since that time, there's been a bit of a "rivalry" between the two cities. Make sense?

Ding ,ding ,ding We have a winner ! :point2sky

They blame JKC and the Redskins , Commissioner Pete Rosell (spelling ) , and the NFL for having no team for over 10 yrs , B-more was sure they would get one of the expansion Teams Panthers /Jags . When they were passed up the city was told Washington /Balt could be a big combined market that B-more didn't show enough support for its Colt franchise when they had it . B-more fans will say that they had there team stolen from them , Fact of the matter is they had a owner that was a drunk and a Mayor at the time who was a complete hard head. Irrsay wanted a new stadium and Mayor Schaffer wasn't willing to build one , Irray threatened to move his team out , Schaffer called his bluff , and Irrsay brought in the Mayflowers. B-more fans want to blame everyone except themselves for there woes. I grew up in B-more and have always supported both the Redskins and the Colts at the time . When the Colts left i put all my energy and loyality to the Redskins and haven't looked back .

One other thing about B-more fans and their hate , they always complain the NFL Hates them , like the other nights game , the NFL wanted the Pats to win :rolleyes: , AND what exactly did b-more and its city officals do to the city of cleveland and it's Browns ?? :doh:

That whole story makes me wonder what would have happened if John Elway had elected to play for the Colts. For those of you who may not know, the Colts used their first-round draft choice to selected Elway, but he didn't want to play for the Colts, so he held out, opting to report to the Yankees. So, the Colts ended up trading his rights to Denver for three players and a pick. The players really didn't do much for Baltimore while Elway... well, you know the story. Many argue that, had Elway reported to Baltimore, that city would still have the Colts.

They're just pissed that their team wears purple.

I sometimes confuse them with a WNBA team.

LOL that is funny though.

I definitly hate the Ravens too. Why their fans hate us so much...I think a lot of it has been mentioned....they were forcefed the Skins when the Colts left, we blocked them from getting a team (supposedly), DC took their NBA team, they dont have a hockey team and they are looked at as the 2nd city in this area.

Furthermore the Redskins are one of the most popular teams in the NFL and it makes it very easy for anyone living in this area who is a Non-Redskins fan to hate us. Big stadium, lot of hype, high spending owner, lot of tradition and a lot of Fans to take shots at. Redskins gear is always floating around and they are probably sick of it....probably the same way Houston people look at the Cowboys perhaps.

If you lived in Baltimore you would hate the color purple, the Ravens fans would annoy the piss at you and if you had any redskins stuff on your car or home it would be stolen or vandalized. We have to take our car magnet off the car every night. Not to mention the abuse you receive walking to your Skins bar on Sunday... one day my friend had a beer can thrown at his head by some Ravens fans heading to M&T. Classy people....

Archived