Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ravens Fans vs. Redskins fans

kobra860

Oh man, was I ever cheering on the Ravens tonight. And I hate the Ravens. I'm soooo pissed they didn't win. Brian Billick is about as bad as Joe Gibbs. Now, I'm going to be cheering on the Steelers. Bleeping Pats; I hope they lose in the playoffs and don't go to the Super Bowl.

Anytime a ravens fan talks sh*t to me I say this:

I respect any die hard sports fan. I can't respect a ravens fan however, because the ravens are only 10/11 years old. I don't understand how someone (my generation- in our 20's) can be so passionately arguing with me that the redskins sucks when they grew up in maryland. Who did you root for 12 years ago? If it was the skins I can't respect you because you are a bandwagon fan...If you didn't watch football back then I can't respect you because you aren't a die hard knowledgeable fan.

The problem with ravens fans is that they are mostly fickle, fairweather/bandwagon fans, they have only been around for 10 years so they obviously had to like someone else first (and left the bandwagon for the ravens when they were the new sexy team)

I was cheering for the Ravens too. If a team gets 100 yards in penalties, they will always beat themselves. I was laughing at Bart Scott through when he threw the flag into the stands. LOL. The scary thing was that the game had many similarities to the Redskins and their ways of beating themselves.

It goes beyond football.

There has often been an inferiority/superiority issue going on between the two cities.

Washington is a white collar city, home to the richest and most educated metropolitan area in the county.

Baltimore is more of a blue collar town, with many social woes they have had to deal with over the history of the city.

People from Bmore have often felt that Washingtonians feel better in some way or another. And Washingtonians have always felt better than people from Bmore in some way or another.

Is there a reason why the Ravens fans hate the Redskins? I go to school in Baltimore and when I wear my Redskins stuff, they're always dissing the Skins. Why is that? (Move this to Around the NFL if necessary).

Washington v. Dallas, used to be Washington v. Baltimore. That's your answer. I support the Ravens because I grew up in Columbia and really like Baltimore. I'm not a fan, but I have zero hate for them. But old school Colts and Redskins fans hate each other.

Anytime a ravens fan talks sh*t to me I say this:

I respect any die hard sports fan. I can't respect a ravens fan however, because the ravens are only 10/11 years old. I don't understand how someone (my generation- in our 20's) can be so passionately arguing with me that the redskins sucks when they grew up in maryland. Who did you root for 12 years ago? If it was the skins I can't respect you because you are a bandwagon fan...If you didn't watch football back then I can't respect you because you aren't a die hard knowledgeable fan.

The problem with ravens fans is that they are mostly fickle, fairweather/bandwagon fans, they have only been around for 10 years so they obviously had to like someone else first (and left the bandwagon for the ravens when they were the new sexy team)

I actually don't agree with this at all. Baltimore is full of great fans who had their hearts ripped out when the Colts drove out of town in the middle of the night.

The Redskins and Colts had a rivalry as well and it would not have been natural for them to become Skins fans when the Colts left. In fact I have never met someone who was a Colts and then Skins fans, although I'm sure a couple of them exist.

I have a lot of respect for that fan base, they are generally knowledgeable and passionate even if massively boorish.

It goes beyond football.

There has often been an inferiority/suppior issue going on between the two cities.

Washington is a white collar city, home to the richest and most educated metropolitan area in the county.

Baltimore is more of a blue collar town, with many social woes they have had to deal with over the history of the city.

People from Bmore have often felt that Washingtonians feel better in some way or another. And Washingtonians have always felt better than people from Bmore in some way or another.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

I got no disrespect for the Ravens, partially cause they're players have no disrespect for the skins and vice versa. You'll always see them hanging out and stuff.

Granted, when the Skins play the Ravens, its Skins all the way

jack kent cook was a big reason they didnt get a team back in baltimore.he pulled a reason ala peter angelos that it would take fans from him

bullets used to be in baltimore named after the baltimore arms manufactery.(baltimore bullets)

also baltimore is or at least was the last independent city in america and did not or does not ever accept federal funding do to the disagreament of $ figures, it argues that much east coast traffic flow around and through the city to get elswhere and it desearves a large sum.

so they are salty for a bunch of reason

I'm sleeping with a Ravens fan (literally my gf is sleeping next to me right now) and have embraced them a lil bit. It helps that they are in the AFC so we hardly ever play them.

Also think about how similar both teams are

mississippi QBs with fumbling problems

The U connection at RB, LB, and FS (rip sean)

The problems on Offense

The good defense (althought they take the cake on that one)

2 Landry Brothers

Awesome TEs

Currently on losing streaks.

Stupid Time Out calls to lose the game at the last minute.

etc... etc...etc

I think it's just a natural occurence when two teams are so close to each other. If you ask the average Baltimore hating Redskins fan or the average Washington hating Ravens fan why they hated the other, you'd probably get a puzzled look on their face.

To be honest, I get carried away in the city rivalry too. But I really can't give you a good reason why I dislike Baltimore. It's just the way it is, and I think that's a pretty lame excuse. On the other hand, I don't see any harm in the rivalry.

Go Nats! Hail Redskins!

unless they moved to b-more after the ravens where already there,good chance they're ex-skins fans who figured they'd root for the more local team while their favorite team goes through their dark ages,and the redskins dark ages is still going on

What I don't get is how do they go from Cleveland Browns fans to Baltimore Ravens fans to Cleveland or Baltimore fans? It sounds pretty stupid. The NFL should have kept the Browns where they were and got another Baltimore team or tell the Colts to go back to Baltimore (he he).

another poster talked about the age thing for me and most people may age thing it definately has to do with the fans that seem to have disowned the redskins when the ravens got hot

I have nothing against the city of baltimore and would NEVER cheer for the nats over the orioles, just the two teams my pops liked and I liked growing up.

I dont really hate the ravens and dont really wish them any harm, im just impartial to them, i rather see them win then a lot of other teams i guess but theres only one team I REALLY want to win and thats the skins baby

I have nothing against the city of baltimore and would NEVER cheer for the nats over the orioles, just the two teams my pops liked and I liked growing up.

lol, well I would hope that you had nothing against baltimore, since you are an apparent fan of a baltimore team. I think the point of this thread was to address those who have seemingly "chosen sides". You have been spared by growing up a different breed of fan than the rest of us.

What I don't get is how do they go from Cleveland Browns fans to Baltimore Ravens fans to Cleveland or Baltimore fans? It sounds pretty stupid. The NFL should have kept the Browns where they were and got another Baltimore team or tell the Colts to go back to Baltimore (he he).

I've never heard of or met anyone who went from being a Browns fan to a Ravens fan. Generally you cheer for the name, history and colors.

Bhayesp.....I was a Colts Fan - Johnny U. when I was a kid. When

the Colts left like they did, I became a Skins fan. I'll die a Skins

fan. I sometimes cheer for the Ravens because they are a AFC team and they are local.....but I seldom watch them play unless they play us.....and I hope we kick there ass!!!

I was raised a Redskins fan. I will always be a Redskins fan, even though I am clsoer to Baltimore than Washington geographically. I have nothing against Baltimore (hell, I'm a big O's fan!) but strongly dislike their football team. I hate the digs I get for being a Skins fan from neighbors (although my neighborhood leans more Skins than Ravens) when their team lacks the history ours does. Most of the people I know USED to be Redskins fans.

And don't judge me on this, but I totally agree with the white-collar, blue-collar thing. I am not a judgy person, but if you ask anyone I know, most will say that some of the Ravens fans tend to be...trashy (for lack of a better word). I'm not even stereotyping them - not all of them are like that AT ALL (and we have sme trashy fans ourselves!), but one of my best friends in the world is a Ravens fans and she agrees. Baltimore is...an interesting city. I have a nickname for some natives that exhibit some certain tacky characteristics that I won't share here.

I just don't like how freaking self-righteous their fans are, overall. I hate being made fun of for being a Skins fan when I'm at home. Now I'm happy to be in College Park =).

Archived