Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Disrespectful? Or am I just being overreactive?

pez

Pez, it's just par for the course on how the idiot factor has grown in the stadium experience. Between the shouting through the "moment of silence" to the drunkenness to the boorish behavior, going to the stadium is very quickly losing its appeal.

Stwasm, I know nothing about the stadium because I have never been there but I was in my house respecting the "moment of silence" with the 2-1 fingers up in the air that Rock displayed before the game, when I immediately heard fans yelling, trying to be heard and the same thing happened in tonight's game. We are not realizing that a moment of silence is meant for prayers to go out for the deceased, not to let everyone know that you are at the game.

That's the thing with memorabilia. It holds different values to everyone. You ever read that book about the big red paper clip? I didn't, but I heard he eventually got a big house from trading up.

I do think it's disrespectful as a Skins fan, and I took Sean's tragic death very personally even though I didn't know him. That said, when the cornerback Darrent Williams from the Broncos was shot in a drive by last year, I said, "man that sucks", but it was a tragic death that I had no ties to and treated it like a death I would read in the paper. But if I went to a Broncos game, I most definitely wouldn't have done anything disrespectful to a memorial towel they gave out.

But your talking about a memorial towel, and I was just a free bucs tshirt - I probably should have brought that story up in another thread - because those fried turkey legs are money.

I definitely felt for the Broncos about Darrent. I didn't mourn because I did not have a connection with him as I did with ST. Did I met him? Nope. I barely even heard his voice. But, I watched him play and heard stories about his heart. The way people respected the hell out of him. You HAVE to respect that.

But, even so... I would not go to Denver and tamper with a memorial towel of '27'.

So, I do agree with you.

When I hear stories like this sometimes you lose faith in your fellow man to do the right thing. I can't believe that someone doesn't have the common sense or decency to know the right thing to do. I guess that goes to show you that common sense isn't so common.

Stwasm, I know nothing about the stadium because I have never been there but I was in my house respecting the "moment of silence" with the 2-1 fingers up in the air that Rock displayed before the game, when I immediately heard fans yelling, trying to be heard and the same thing happened in tonight's game. We are not realizing that a moment of silence is meant for prayers to go out for the deceased, not to let everyone know that you are at the game.

The guy who started the yelling in the moment of silence yelled Sean's name. But that is not the point of a moment of silence, like you said. The problem with yelling during the moment is, that the moment is meant to reflect, in prayer or however you wish, on the life of the man. By yelling, you draw attention away from the man and onto yourself. Not only is that rude, it is arrogant and selfish. Pretty pathetic.

I understand the whole freedom to do whatever you want theory. But, how about looking at it this way. Is it OK to wipe your seat with the flag? After all, that's just a piece of mass produced cloth too. Or, could it be that many see it as wrong because of all the flag represents? THAT is what it's all about and THAT'S why it's in poor taste to wipe your seat or do other things with it.

Now certainly some will still say it's not really all that big a deal. However, I'm sure very few would argue the point that at the least it was a crass and low rent thing to do. Sort of like breaking a funeral procession, peeing on someone's grave or cheering that a Bills' player was almost paralyzed. Not illegal activity but it sure as he11 says a whole lot about the Neanderthal doing it.

I understand the whole freedom to do whatever you want theory. But, how about looking at it this way. Is it OK to wipe your seat with the flag? After all, that's just a piece of mass produced cloth too. Or, could it be that many see it as wrong because of all the flag represents? THAT is what it's all about and THAT'S why it's in poor taste to wipe your seat or do other things with it.

Now certainly some will still say it's not really all that big a deal. However, I'm sure very few would argue the point that at the least it was a crass and low rent thing to do. Sort of like breaking a funeral procession, peeing on someone's grave or cheering that a Bills' player was almost paralyzed. Not illegal activity but it sure as he11 says a whole lot about the Neanderthal doing it.

VERY, well said, Yusuf. Well done, sir. :cheers:

Many thanks.

This has been a tough week for all of us. The last thing we need is for some cretins to come in here trying to disrespect the memory of our boy. And that refers not to the posters here who defended them but rather the folks in the stadium who really made arses of themselves....our fans and theirs.

No they don't. But, as I said and you apparently didn't read or just didn't care. But, it isn't about forum rules. It is about respect. THEY don't have it. It is simple as that. They showed that they are scum. They showed that this world is more ****ed up then we realize.

Why? Because of a towel? Nope. Just the fact that people have no respect any more for anyone. It happens everywhere and at anytime. It is quite sad.

This incident is just yet another example of it.

Not when you are blantly disrespected. If you disrespect me, I am not going to grow 'thicker skin'. I am going to give you what you deserve. Respect goes a long way. You will be surprised how far a little respect can go.

Respectful? Since when do you get to dictate how and when people show respect? You're not the law, and you're not God. It's not your job to force people to show respect. You're certainly not demonstrating any respect for your fellow man in your posts. "Going to give people what they deserve?" What would that be? A beat down? A verbal assault? Neither of those show class. A whole lot of you show next to no class while you're criticizing bills' fans.

Now I've said my peace, and I'll take my own advice, as it's obvious you're never going to see this anyway but as some veiled disrespect to Sean Taylor.

He is lucky that he didn't get to the tailgate while Dave was on his rant.

Dave would have CRUSHED him! :laugh:

You and 21 were talking about Bills fans that didn't show up after the game, and how lucky they were.

And to whomever compared the towle to an American Flag... I'm speachless. The symbol that particular towel represents is nothing compared to what the flag represents.

Respectful? Since when do you get to dictate how and when people show respect? You're not the law, and you're not God. It's not your job to force people to show respect.

It is a given, you don't mess with a memorial towel with the intent to piss off someone. They continued to disrespect the meaning behind the towel even after they were called on it. Sounds simple but, apparently it can not be understood by everyone.

You will understand eventually.

You're certainly not demonstrating any respect for your fellow man in your posts. "Going to give people what they deserve?" What would that be? A beat down? A verbal assault? Neither of those show class. A whole lot of you show next to no class while you're criticizing bills' fans.

Do you read well, bro? I said if you blantly disrespect me... that can be in anyway. I will let you know that what you are doing is disrespectful and if you yap off with the gums and continue on with your actions in spite. Just ignoring the fact that the actions that you are performing is a scum act.. Yes, you will get what is coming to you.

Respect, to me, is something that should never be ****ed with. You simply do NOT disrespect someone and expect to get away with it.

Now I've said my peace, and I'll take my own advice, as it's obvious you're never going to see this anyway but as some veiled disrespect to Sean Taylor.

Likewise homie.

You and 21 were talking about Bills fans that didn't show up after the game, and how lucky they were.

Correction:

Rick and I, were talking about a Bills fan who WAS at the ES Tailgate. It isn't about him not showing up.. he DID show up. He was talking on his cell phone stating how he is 'hanging with the ES crew talking ****." He was taking pride with our sorrows. Not only was this game a wake for Skins fans but, we had Bills fans laughing at us because of it. Even after he got called out on it ( I forget who pulled him aside and verbally let him have it) he still insisted that he wasn't doing anything wrong. He didn't admit he was wrong or anything like that. Unless I missed something a while after the altercation. His friend had to pull him away and told him to cool out.

I promise you, if he continued, it would not have just been verbal. You do not pour salt into the wounds of Skins fans after a game like that. You don't!

That isn't disgusting to you?!? WOW bro.. I am so glad that I am not that cold hearted.

The comment about the Bills fan getting crushed was a joke if you hadn't noticed the laughing smilie. I'd kindly suggest understanding exactly what you are commenting on before you comment.

Dave was FURIOUS after the game. He did not like the way we played. He did not like the fact that we lost.. simple as that. He was walking around venting.. I don't blame him either..

If the Bills fan showed up at that time, YES, he would have been crushed. I don't think Dave would have attacked him violently. But, he WOULD have attacked him verbally. The Bilsl fan deserved it.

I promise you that.

And to whomever compared the towle to an American Flag... I'm speachless. The symbol that particular towel represents is nothing compared to what the flag represents.

It wasn't said that the towel IS the American flag. Do you take everything you read literally? Damn dude! :doh:

Nevermind.. you won't understand it anyway. Why waste my keystrokes on explaining it to you. :doh:

I don't equate any of your "sort of"'s with what was said to happen.

Peeing on a grave...extremely disrespectful(and I would say peeing on the towel, extremely disrespectful)...

Cheering an injury...classless(and if they were cheering Sean's death then that would be about as low as you could go)

I just don't think "towel with 21" = Sean Taylor.

I don't equate any of your "sort of"'s with what was said to happen.

Peeing on a grave...extremely disrespectful(and I would say peeing on the towel, extremely disrespectful)...

Cheering an injury...classless(and if they were cheering Sean's death then that would be about as low as you could go)

I just don't think "towel with 21" = Sean Taylor.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. However the overarching point in my post wasn't that they should have bought into the meaning attached to the towel by others. After all, not everyone attaches the same significance to a funeral procession for example. However it's just common courtesy to respect others around you that do. It's just a matter of human decency...which seems to be in ever shorter supply these days.

Midwestern? Upstate NY? Whoey...do you have a map? :doh: :laugh:

Buffalo is about a spits distance from Canada...they are like that because they are cold and bitter just like their stupid city. Soon they will all be hibernating under the 20 feet of snow they get regularly. ;)

HAHAHAHAHAH:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BUt to actually post on the topic: You were not wrong to get mad. I woulda been pissed as well. Not to defend those people but if they were fans of another team, they might not have really thought about, or realized the symbolism and disrespect of what they were actually doing.

Hi folks. I'm a Bills fan who was at the game on Sunday. I'm sorry some of my fellow fans were a-holes. 99% of the Bills fans around me were nothing but respectful of the pre-game tribute, the moment of silence, etc.

Now, as to how some treat a towel...it certainly was not only Bills fans using them as towels. The guy who spent most of the game facing the Bills fans instead of the field (yelling "Canada cheats") had it hanging out of his hat and used it to wipe his face constantly. Another (very drunk) girl who turned to a man next to a Bills fan and asked "could you punch him in the face?" used it to wipe up a beer spill! Personally, I put it away after I waved it during the pre-game ceremonies and am giving it to a Redskins fan for Christmas. I know it has more significance to him than it does to me (not that it has none for me, but you know what i'm saying).

I get it that it is sports, and you hate your rivals, and you hate teams who beat you, especially in painful ways. I actually hate the Sabres now, after living in Atlanta, following the Thrashers, and seeing how they come down and act in our barn. But it just seems to me that a blanket "Bills fans have no class" statement is pretty inaccurate. If you go over to the Bills boards, with the exception of the "I got in a fight at the Redskins game" thread, there has been nothing but empathy and support from the Bills fanbase. Especially given that it is a fanbase that has endured its own share of tragedy this year, with Kevin Everett's potentially life-threatening injury in the first game. Thank God things turned out differently for KE, but that does not change the fact that our team and our fanbase has been through a thing or two this year as well.

Please take this post in the spirit in which it was intended--I truly am sorry you guys felt disrespected by Bills fans, especially on that game of all games. And I think most Bills fans probably "got it"--got the significance of the events and acted accordingly. Just as the bad actions of a few idiot Skins fans should not (and does not) tarnish my image of the fanbase, I would hope you realize that there are plenty of us who empathize with what you are going through and are rooting for you. I'm sure some of you encountered some a-holes, but many, and I would venture to say most of us were there to play tribute to #21 by recognizing and honoring him with a hard-fought game that could have gone either way in the end.

I'm rooting for you guys this year, at least in the NFC. :) Besides, I have Campbell on my fantasy team and (barely) made the playoffs, so I need him to have 3 or 4 TDs against the Bears. Can you make that happen please? :)

what was disrespectful was how you guys thought we were scared of you and proceeded to start fighting some bills fans for no reason at the end. i watched some black guy get knocked out cold ( a redskins fan ) by a bills fan. it was the funniest thing i ever saw. after yesterday i could care less about your stadium, your team and your fans. you are a bunch of miserable people.

please tell me this ******* was banned as well

Hi folks. I'm a Bills fan who was at the game on Sunday. I'm sorry some of my fellow fans were a-holes. 99% of the Bills fans around me were nothing but respectful of the pre-game tribute, the moment of silence, etc.

Now, as to how some treat a towel...it certainly was not only Bills fans using them as towels. The guy who spent most of the game facing the Bills fans instead of the field (yelling "Canada cheats") had it hanging out of his hat and used it to wipe his face constantly. Another (very drunk) girl who turned to a man next to a Bills fan and asked "could you punch him in the face?" used it to wipe up a beer spill! Personally, I put it away after I waved it during the pre-game ceremonies and am giving it to a Redskins fan for Christmas. I know it has more significance to him than it does to me (not that it has none for me, but you know what i'm saying).

I get it that it is sports, and you hate your rivals, and you hate teams who beat you, especially in painful ways. I actually hate the Sabres now, after living in Atlanta, following the Thrashers, and seeing how they come down and act in our barn. But it just seems to me that a blanket "Bills fans have no class" statement is pretty inaccurate. If you go over to the Bills boards, with the exception of the "I got in a fight at the Redskins game" thread, there has been nothing but empathy and support from the Bills fanbase. Especially given that it is a fanbase that has endured its own share of tragedy this year, with Kevin Everett's potentially life-threatening injury in the first game. Thank God things turned out differently for KE, but that does not change the fact that our team and our fanbase has been through a thing or two this year as well.

Please take this post in the spirit in which it was intended--I truly am sorry you guys felt disrespected by Bills fans, especially on that game of all games. And I think most Bills fans probably "got it"--got the significance of the events and acted accordingly. Just as the bad actions of a few idiot Skins fans should not (and does not) tarnish my image of the fanbase, I would hope you realize that there are plenty of us who empathize with what you are going through and are rooting for you. I'm sure some of you encountered some a-holes, but many, and I would venture to say most of us were there to play tribute to #21 by recognizing and honoring him with a hard-fought game that could have gone either way in the end.

I'm rooting for you guys this year, at least in the NFC. :) Besides, I have Campbell on my fantasy team and (barely) made the playoffs, so I need him to have 3 or 4 TDs against the Bears. Can you make that happen please? :)

Dog, thank you for that post and I hope my fellow Redskins brethren didn't treat you badly. If so, then I apologize on behalf of the classy fans of this football team.

Archived