Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Disrespectful? Or am I just being overreactive?

pez

Pez,

As someone who is ultrasensitive about stuff like that, I think my reaction would have been the same. That using the towel was disrespectful because of the intent with which the towel was given to us.

I have to say that there were some Bills fans in my section that were pretty decent (much more so than the few that are posting in this thread). They saw the ribbon I had on from ES and actually asked where I got it... I still had a few in my pocket and each one of them (there were 3) put them on. So that was cool.

So from a Redskins fan's perspective, yes, I do understand your reaction to the whole towel incident. And being the sensitive person I am, I know I would have reacted the same way. Shoot.. when they asked for a moment of silence, there was someone in the aisle asking what section it was and I turned around and shushed them.

But today when I take a step back, I think your reaction, and what mine would have been, may not be overreaction as much as reacting to something that you felt very strong about (the tribute to Sean Taylor) and what that towel meant to you, personally. How many Redskin towels have we been given over the years and I've used them to wipe off seats when they were wet. But this particular towel... no I would not have thought to use it. At all. Just because of the meaning behind it. So the reaction was not to using the towel itself as much as someone desecreating something that meant so much to you. I'm that way too. Hope that makes sense.

As far as classless fans.. this thread was not a thread to open up trash talking to the extent that it has. Someone, who means a lot to some of the people of this board, wanted some support or acknowledgement of his feelings. All teams have their fair share of obnoxious/classless fans, but there is a time and place for comments like the ones I've seen in this thread, and this thread is not one of those "times" or "places."

I really hope this clown is gone.

Those towels were made in memory of sean for the memory of sean

Yes it is disrespectful

I can't believe how selfish and childish so many of you are acting.

Do you honestly think your own emotions should dictate how strangers around you feel and act?

Pez, it's just par for the course on how the idiot factor has grown in the stadium experience. Between the shouting through the "moment of silence" to the drunkenness to the boorish behavior, going to the stadium is very quickly losing its appeal.

Hence why I bough a hugeass TV and resist the urge to go to games. Now, I DO live in Florida, but THAT wouldn't stop me from going to games. The *******s who seem so prevalent at sporting events anymore will! Nothing compares to going to a game, but it never fails for ME anyway; at the movies, at a game, I am an ******* magnet.

Do you honestly think your own emotions should dictate how strangers around you feel and act?

Selfish? you do not want to go down this path with me, my friend.

Those towels may mean more to me than you, but if you are completely oblivious to what those towels were made for, you are senseless.

how ignorant can some people be?

Those towels may mean more to me than you, but if you are completely oblivious to what those towels were made for, you are senseless.

I find it hard to believe the towels themselves were manufactured specifically for this game. To get them done in a week, I'd imagine the towels were sitting in boxes somewhere and then got the Sean Taylor memorial print put on after.

To treat these towels as some sort of sacred object that people should "just know" not to "desecrate" is a notch above stupid, and is bordering on plain cluelessness.

Are you really 22? Because your question appears to display a lack of human behavior....

You can call it civility, politeness, compassion, or whatever, but sometimes we do expect people to take others into consideration. That is a normal part of society, unless you have zero manners of empathy.

What you don't appear to understand that this isn't just about one's own feelings: I guess you are missing the bigger picture.

The worst part, is that your own post shows a bit of selfishness and "childish" qualities, which probably went right over your head.

Are you really 22, because your question appears to display a lack of human behavior....

You can call it civility, politeness, compassion, or whatever, but sometimes we do expect people to take others into consideration. That is a normal part of society, unless you have zero manners of empathy.

What you don't appear to understand that this isn't just about one's own feelings: I guess you are missing the bigger picture.

The worst part, is that your own post shows a bit of selfishness and child-like qualities, which probably went right over your head.

Am I asking you not to feel sad about Sean Taylor being dead? Of course not.

It would be selfish of me to do so, and childish to expect you to listen to what I, a stranger, tell you to do.

What is so hard to understand about this?

I wasn't there, and I can't speak for those that were. All I can say as a Bills fan that I apologize for all the fans that made the trip if they were offensive.

I would like to think that they weren't thinking, and just started to wipe the seats off. I hope there was no malicious intent, and for the most part, I doubt they even thought about what they were doing

I wasn't there, and I can't speak for those that were. All I can say as a Bills fan that I apologize for all the fans that made the trip if they were offensive.

I would like to think that they weren't thinking, and just started to wipe the seats off. I hope there was no malicious intent, and for the most part, I doubt they even thought about what they were doing

That's what's so ridiculous about all this.

IT WAS A WET DAY. THE FANS WERE GIVEN TOWELS. If you don't want to wipe your seat off because the towel has sentimental value for you, then you have every right to choose not to do that thing.

What you do NOT have is free reign to impress your personal value placed on the object on others who just simply don't feel the same way.

I can guarantee you these fans weren't doing anything blatantly disrespectful with the towels. I seriously doubt they were flaunting their use of the towels to dry their seats. Even if they sat on the towel, it would take a blatant wiping action (against their butt, a la toilet paper) to say there was intent to offend.

It is extremely selfish and childish to believe that just because you choose not to do something makes it universally unacceptable to do.

The simple truth is probably that some Bills fans didn't realise the disrespect in their actions and others did but didn't care either way. Sad really but that's human nature for you, it never fails to disappoint. :doh:

They've probably got a chip on their shoulders as they know they will be moving up to Canada some time soon. ;)

:doh:

They didn't realize the disrespect because there was none, it was a towel.

As an adult or young adult which everyone here is, you ignore it and enjoy the game. The truly classless people are the originator of this thread and all those who would have punched, ****ed, yelled or taken the towel from those fans.

I am sure that was the case, I was not at the game, but one way or another, disrespect is disrespect.

My roomate had a party on saturday night, and it was hot in our living room so I placed my taylor jersey and redskins hoody in his room, he is a hardcore steelers fan and came up to me and asked me what the "trash" was doing in his room, and handed me the jersey and hoody. That was disrespectful too, but I am not going to hate the guy for it.

I understand the towels were just that to some people, but that doesn't mean that what they did wasn't disrespectful.

You shouldn't have to appologize for those few, adam :)

The truly classless people are the originator of this thread

You are treading on very, very light ground with those words.

Do more research on pez and how much he and huly do for the Redskin's community and how much of their lives are dedicated to this team and its fanbase.

You are treading on very, very light ground with those words.

Do more research on pez and how much he and huly do for the Redskin's community and how much of their lives are dedicated to this team and its fanbase.

I don't need any research, what he said in the first post in this thread sums it up for me. He wanted to physically assault people and he did chastise complete strangers over their perceived disrespect... That is the epitome of classless behavior.

An adult would have ignored it, remembered his/her fond memories of Sean Taylor, and enjoyed the game. That would have been the classy thing to do.

I don't need any research, what he said in the first post in this thread sums it up for me. He wanted to physically assault people and he did chastise complete strangers over their perceived disrespect... That is the epitome of classless behavior.

An adult would have ignored it, remembered his/her fond memories of Sean Taylor, and enjoyed the game. That would have been the classy thing to do.

Well, you just fell in quicksand, don't say I never warned you.

Archived