Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

future question (nfl policy on player deaths)

Brandon Lloyd Christmas

before anyone says "it doesnt matter" and gets angry with my question, please just understand im trying to get some information from someone who might know.

when a player of taylor's caliber dies, do the skins get an extra draft pick or some sort of "compensation"? obviously, there is nobody in the nfl (or football for that matter) that could serve as compensation for the future hall of famer that we just lost, but im just wondering what happens from here on out. or has the nfl ever had a situation that mirrors what we have just gone throught?

and please again, dont think im being heartless or insensitive, id just like some information, if there is any. taylor's passing has already crushed all of us and impacted me more than id ever imagine so please if you know the answer to my question, respond.

thanks everyone.

Teams certainly don't get relief in terms of draft picks.

However, I think all leagues now have a "Reggie Lewis" rule regarding the salary cap.

I found the NBA rule. I am looking for the NFL rule:

A player who dies or who suffers a career-ending injury or illness, and whose contract is terminated, may be excluded from his team's team salary. If the death, injury, or illness occurs between July 1 and December 31, the salary can be excluded beginning on the second July 1 following the death, injury, or illness. If the termination occurs between January 1 and June 30, the salary can be excluded beginning two years after the death, injury, or illness. However, a team may decide not to terminate the contract and continue to pay the player. For example, the Lakers continued to pay Magic Johnson after he was forced to retire because of his HIV status, so his salary was included in the Lakers' team salary.

Teams do not receive an exception to acquire a replacement player if a player's contract is terminated for medical reasons. However, a disabled player exception (see question number 17 ) may be granted by the league in the event of a player's death. For example, the league granted Charlotte a disabled player exception when Bobby Phills died, and Charotte used this exception to acquire Dale Ellis.

If you think about it, you can see why the NFL can't show any mercy on this issue.

Carlos Rogers just suffered a potentially career-ending knee injury. He is a first round pick. If he was not able to play again, we would just move on and not ask for any compensation.

More than any other sport, NFL careers are short and extremely perilous. So, if you start getting compensation for picks for one reason, teams are going to ask for them for others.

Remember Ki-Jana Carter? One snap in the pre-season and his usefulness as an NFL player was essentially over.

It's a really really tough sport and an even tougher business.

One last point.

Even if the Skins were forced to keep Taylor on the books, his salary cap number over the next two years is miniscule. $850K and $1.1 million. If they had to do something incredibly weird like put him on the PUP list, it wouldn't really affect the team at all in terms of cap space.

David Patten is on the books for something like $1.5 million next year.

(I love this thread by the way. This is how I handle tough situations in my life - by becoming extremely practical and problem-solving).

If you think about it' date=' you can see why the NFL can't show any mercy on this issue.

Carlos Rogers just suffered a potentially career-ending knee injury. He is a first round pick. If he was not able to play again, we would just move on and not ask for any compensation.

More than any other sport, NFL careers are short and extremely perilous. So, if you start getting compensation for picks for one reason, teams are going to ask for them for others.

Remember Ki-Jana Carter? One snap in the pre-season and his usefulness as an NFL player was essentially over.

It's a really really tough sport and an even tougher business.[/quote']

Yes, I would agree it would have to be treated like a career ending injury. I know it impacts us emotionally so much more than that, but that's probably what it needs to be.

Teams certainly don't get relief in terms of draft picks.

However' date=' I think all leagues now have a "Reggie Lewis" rule regarding the salary cap.

I found the NBA rule. I am looking for the NFL rule:[/quote']

Good post. I know we'll get some salary cap relief, and I believe the NFL will allow the Skins to pay the family if we choose (let's hope we will) without it being counted to the cap.

But no, we won't get draft choice compensation in any way. The best example of a team that really should have received such compensation was probably the Patriots after the case of Robert Edwards. Edwards was a 1st round pick in 1998, who rushed for over 1000 yards his rookie year. He then blew out his knee in a NFL sanctioned "beach football" exhibition. He never played for the Pats again and the Patriots never received any compensation for the loss. Interesting side note- Russell is currently playing in the CFL and hopes to return to the NFL still. He's 32 right now.

One last point.

Even if the Skins were forced to keep Taylor on the books' date=' his salary cap number over the next two years is miniscule. $850K and $1.1 million. If they had to do something incredibly weird like put him on the PUP list, it wouldn't really affect the team at all in terms of cap space.

David Patten is on the books for something like $1.5 million next year.

(I love this thread by the way. [b']This is how I handle tough situations in my life - by becoming extremely practical and problem-solving[/b]).

its the only way to cope man, when you dwell on horrible tragedies like this for long periods of time, it eats away at everything you do. the only way (for me at least) to deal is to accept what just went down, and try to rationalize everything from here on out.

its the only way to cope man, when you dwell on horrible tragedies like this for long periods of time, it eats away at everything you do. the only way (for me at least) to deal is to accept what just went down, and try to rationalize everything from here on out.

i do the same...all yesterday evening i was trying to figure out how to incorporate dealing with something like this in a book. it was a way to try to work through it.

Archived