Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

#1 Problem [= Lack of Pass Rush]

Hawkskin

We Need a PASSRUSH! We do not get any pressure on the passer. It is hard to succeed with no pass rush. WE get absolutly no push from the middle and rairly any from our ends. Granted our defensive backs can play a little better but with the QB having so much time to throw it leads to disaster.

Look at a team like Denver with Champ and Dre Bly...awsome corners , right now they are getting no pass rush and look how teams are throwing on them.

Now a team like NE, they have some average corners, Samuels is good but I really think his pass rush from the middle and the ends helps him out.

We need to look at a bigger force in the middel and an explosive end. Maybe Haynsworth and draft and end.

Go skins...they impressed me last night...and also broke my heart.

You're right man.

I've been lobbying for a big WR in round one of next year's draft but after the last two games I realize that we need another pass rusher to complement Andre Carter. I won't be surprised at all if we address this in the draft or go after Jared Allen if he's not tagged (which I'm sure he will be).

Anyway, I'm still glad that we took Landry in the draft this year because SS was a glaring hole and having Landry makes our secondary complete and allows Sean Taylor to be the athlete he is.

This year our glaring hole is having a complete pass rush.

8. Please use descriptive and accurate subject titles for your posts. Adherence to this rule assists visitors in utilizing discretion when selecting content to read. It also serves to notify members if a particular topic has already been posted and discussed, and potentially prevents multiple threads being started on the same topic.

Thanks.

It doesn't help that we INSIST on playing a style of defense that is PREDICATED on a dominant 4 man rush. There's a reason teams that have excelled with the Tampa 2 have guys like Freeney and Mathis or (years back) Sapp and Rice. When you play Tampa 2 and get get a 4 man rush, you're done.

It's so frustrating. We all know Springs and Smoot can play press man and lock down a guy. But we refuse to let them do it. When the game got tight in the second half, GW went back to the Tampa 2, and they abused the hell out of it because that isn't who we are.

Good post, Hawkskin. I agree with you completely. In my view, a dominant Pass Rusher makes Washington an immediate Super Bowl Contender. In fact, I know giving up draft picks to acquire such a talent is unpopular around here, but I'd be all for it. Pass Rushers are harder to find than Quarterbacks.

It's because we like playing that four man rush that we need linemen who have a knack of getting to the qb or a least pressuring him. Williams is prideful to the point of self infliction. This is why I kept saying last year that pastry is a problem. We have a safety fettish and we need to focus on meat and potatoes.

This coincides with problem 1a: Gregg Williams stubborness.

You dont change the gameplan at all after oh say..... THE THIRD TO TOUCHDOWN?? You have to make guys like Crayton and Herd beat you. I'll take my chances with those guys before I would a dynamic wideout like TO. Like him or not, he is a great WR. We didnt even try to jam him. We passed him off to stand still safety's while all 230 pounds of him is in a sprint down the field.

I have been involved in many threads similar to this one.

The Redskins do a great job of grabbibg high-profile expensive players like Brunel and Portis and Taylor. Completely ignoring the O and the D line. They must have the best secondary in the NFL because they have no pass rush. And when one of their superstar safeties or corners go down everythiong falls apart. This is just bad decision making. When building a team, the first thing you get is an O and D Line. However, this team is not being built, it's being bought.

Yeah, we got close to Romo sits to pee on numerous occasions, but those close calls highlight why the Draft is huge and why certain players with even slightly more speed/strength are highly regarded.

The NFL is a game where every instant is huge, our front four do alright with stuffing the run, but they are not doing their part applying significant pressure.

I think we need to address, the offense first with a WR, but round two should be reserved for a pass rusher.

It definitely should be a priority in the offseason but Gregg and Vinny remain fixated on DB's for some reason. It's really strange how important having a pass rush obviously is regarding the probable favorable outcome of a game on any given week, yet it continues to be overlooked.

Yes, the DL is playing pretty well, but to think it could not be significantly improved upon is vexing to me. We absolutely need a Jared Allen or Justin Smith to anchor the LDE spot. I also do not think that Chris Wilson will be an everydown DE anytime soon if ever for us.

Like I posted in another thread . . . I bet a friend of mine that T.O. will make a minimum of two touchdown catches down the middle. If Taylor were able to play things probably would have been different. But the coach has to adapt and overcome. The only time quarterbacks (playing against the Skins) were planted on their backs was during a blitz (see Jets & Eagles). Make the quarterback read the defense, find the receiver, hurry his pass and be accurate. That is four things he has to do within five or so seconds. You keep playing the same defense that Williams is playing and he only has one assignment and thats to find the open receiver. And he will probably have time to look for the secondary receivers. A former coach (father of a current coach) once said it's hard for a quarterback to throw a pass when he is on his back! Rogers, Springs and Smoot can play man to man with 95% of today's receivers.

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

Tommy Harris = Redskin #1 First Stop!

CAREER TRANSACTIONS: Entered NFL as a first-round selection (14th overall) by Chicago in 2004 NFL Draft… Signed 5-year contract with Bears (7/29/04). SIGNED through 2008

I may be crazy, but I don't like signing players whou are already under contract. Unless you are talking about 2009, Tommie Harris is not available.

(I've told you this, like, three times already).

Tell it to Vinny.

I read he made a statement to the effect that you don't need to spend the money or high draft picks on elite defensive linemen. That they're basically interchangeable and it's better to just "coach 'em up."

Seems like the last, oh I don't know, 40 Super Bowl champions have disproved that theory, but what do I know?

Nothing new here. It's been a problem for years with the 'skins. Of course there are those who will tell you that the line is fine because they get one or two sacks in a game. But, let's ignore the fact that for the rest of the game they applied little to no pressure on the QB.

There's three things we need to do this April.

Draft DL and OL

Draft DL and OL

and last but not least, draft OL and DL.

Archived