Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 9 Most Racist Disney Characters

PleaseBlitz

Oddly enough, I think the one they have listed as #1 is the least offensive. I don't view that as racist, it was just the overall American point of view of Africa at that point, had nothing to do with the fact that they were black. It was just a stereotype - that's like saying Crocodile Dundee was a racist portrayl of Australians.

Wow, Uncle Remus looked like an SNL character. I was half-expecting Chris Farley to bust into the scene at some point :doh:

Nah, you're not thinking of Uncle Remus, you're thinking of Colonel Angus. You know, dem ladies, dey all love dem some Colonel Angus. :laugh: (One of the few recent SNL sketches that caused me to laugh until tears streamed down my face.)

Now, in all seriousness, isn't it interesting that the dates on some of these movies are 1940, 1941, 1946 and 1948? Maybe I'm wrong, but I was given to understand that African Americans had bigger concerns during that time, y'know like the right to use a certain water fountain, or sit at a certain lunch counter, not to mention the right to vote, or NOT to get frigging lynched.

If we're going to jump Disney's case for doing stupid **** during that time period, then I think we also need to take a step back and honestly look at the rest of society during that time period. I think if you do that, it becomes a lot easier to say, "Oh, well that was just a movie," or "just a cartoon."

As for the more modern films the writer takes issue with, well, I guess he may have a point. But if you want to remove all of them, I think you'd also have to necessarily remove any theatrical references to the nerdy white guy, or the white guy who can't dance. Not to mention any and all references to any white person with a southern twang being stupid, mob movies (for the negative portrayal of Italian Americans), etc, etc, etc.

Either that or we can all grow some thicker skin and learn to laugh at ourselves. I'd much rather do the latter.

Oddly enough, I think the one they have listed as #1 is the least offensive. I don't view that as racist, it was just the overall American point of view of Africa at that point, had nothing to do with the fact that they were black. It was just a stereotype - that's like saying Crocodile Dundee was a racist portrayl of Australians.

hasn't the tailgate taught you anything..

it is impossible to make racist comments about white people

Hey guys, honestly, this stuff is TAME compared to other images being put out at the time. Remember, this was a time period when science still officially considered black people inferior to white. Remember, that this was a time when a black man and/or woman was denied entry(many times officially) to most flagship state universities, not to mention the prestigious, private ones. This was also a time when a clear majority of black communities were harassed, kept in fear, & marginalized by the society at large. So therefore, a justification was needed to treat an entire group of people in such an inhumane manner. Enter the racist imagery. The short answer is that terrible charicatures (like the ones in the disney link) were an expedient way to justify the separate & unequal treatment of the times. If nothing else, an old, grainy video clip demonstrates how this society, at that time, saw itself. Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Wow, Uncle Remus looked like an SNL character. I was half-expecting Chris Farley to bust into the scene at some point :doh:
Nah, you're not thinking of Uncle Remus, you're thinking of Colonel Angus. You know, dem ladies, dey all love dem some Colonel Angus. :laugh: (One of the few recent SNL sketches that caused me to laugh until tears streamed down my face.)

You've obviously never seen the Uncle Jemima skit...

Uncle-Jemima-main.jpg

Archived