Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is the NFL a Quarterback's League?

Oldfan

On a recent thread, a dimwitted Cowboy troll proclaimed that the NFL is a "quarterback's league" and, since Romo sits to pee is great and Campbell's a chump, we didn't stand a chance against his team. So, what is the truth?

a) The NFL is a "quarterback's league;" just look at the list of top teams and you'll find the name of a great quarterback;

B) The scheme, playcalling, and surrounding talent on both offense and defense are primarily responsible for the quarterback's performance;

c) It's about fifty-fifty; the quarterback is undoubtedly the most important player in the game, but his reputation and performance grade are heavily affected by his teammates and coaches.

We won't find the answer to this question by comparing quarterbacks on different teams. We get a much better idea by looking at the career stats of QBs like Jeff Garcia. It's highly unllikely that the same player's performance is so inconsistent that his numbers bounce up and down widely from team to team as Garcia's quarterback ratings have:

2004 Browns 76.7

2005 Lions 65.1

2006 Eagles 95.8

2007 Bucs 95.5

In my opinion the quarterback rating stat should be renamed the "team passing game rating." As a general rule, the QBs on winning teams are overrated while the QBs on losing teams are underrated because the QB's performances are heavily affected by his teammates and coaches.

The stupid way we lost the game against the Eagles has obscured the fact that Jason Campbell had his best game so far as a Redskin. It is not a coincidence that his improvement happened on the same day that his coaches opened up the offense. The Skins were in the Shotgun for 23 of 58 plays (40%) and they went with no huddle on 17 plays.

We are a better team on the offense right now than we were in the first half because Jason's getting some help from his friends.

The stupid way we lost the game against the Eagles has obscured the fact that Jason Campbell had his best game so far as a Redskin.

Campbell folded like a cheap suit at the end of the 4th quarter. I love the guy, but facts are facts.

Who here has doubts that Romo sits to pee, Brady, Manning, or Favre would NOT have marched their team up the field for a score?

And for all those saying it's NOT a QB's league... I hope you're ready to acknowledge that the Dallas Cowboys were the same team under Drew Bledsoe that they are under Tony Romo sits to pee.

Oh yah, and you also have to acknowledge that Wade Phillips is a great coach.

So good luck with that.

i think its a league where an elite quarterback gives you a huge edge every week, but i think its a defensive league now

tgijef

Scoring will always be 50% of the game and stopping the other team from scoring will always be 50%.

Defenses have always had the upperhand because it's much harder to coach the offense and make it work. Most teams will beat themselves if given a chance.

Is the nfl a QB's league? No but they are the most prominent position on the field and to the fans. You don't need a star Qb to win, but it helps. For example the teams doing well with the QB not really hurting the team. For example, in Pittsburgh is Ben the reason they are winning? No they have a great D a really good running game, and a good passing game. But is he the reason? No, he is a major part of the team but it is not all because of Ben they are doing well. It is the team, and he is just a part of the team not causing them to lose, but also helping them win. But he can't do it himself.

It is only a QB's league to the media and the fans...but it is still the team, one man does not make a team, but can break a team. If that where the case Marino would have Super Bowl Rings.

It is only a QB's league to the media and the fans...but it is still the team, one man does not make a team, but can break a team. If that where the case Marino would have Super Bowl Rings.

Marino's a good example.

Carson Palmer is my pick for QB over Brady if we were choosing up sides.

Because Jeff Garcia has been nowhere near consistent for his entire NFL career. Which is why he's played on what... 7 different teams?

"Inconsistency" doesn't float as a reason. Game to game, yes. But not over an entire season.

The NFL is still a team sport and as long as a player doesn't F' Up a team it can win...look at the Raiders back in the day, as well for example. Was Jim Plunkett a great QB? No but he did enough to help and not hurt the team. Sonny was great but never won a SB, was Ryp a great QB? no but did enough to help and never hurt the team.

The discussion should be limited to the salary cap era

Since the QB is the most important player on the team, you have a valid point in arguing that he is more likely to be the difference maker in this era of parity. But, you can make the same point arguing for the offensive coordinator. The next Bill Walsh, who can create an offense for the next Virgil Carter, will make Virgil Carter a HOF QB.

No doubt the quarterback is the most important position in football. But I don't know if any quarterback can singlehandedly lift a team from mediocrity to contender. Other pieces have to be in place. The classic case is Sonny Jurgensen, who would throw up 35 points a game and watch as his D would give up 48.

A side argument is how much a quarterback makes his team look better vs. how much a team makes the quarterback look better. Roethlisberger is an interesting case. His rookie year the consensus was that his role was simply to not make mistakes and let the team carry him. Now he seems to have emerged as a top tier quarterback who can make plays on his own. But would he have the same individual success now on a less talented team than the current Steelers? How would Big Ben fare behind center in Atlanta?

No doubt the quarterback is the most important position in football. But I don't know if any quarterback can singlehandedly lift a team from mediocrity to contender. Other pieces have to be in place. The classic case is Sonny Jurgensen, who would throw up 35 points a game and watch as his D would give up 48.

A side argument is how much a quarterback makes his team look better vs. how much a team makes the quarterback look better. Roethlisberger is an interesting case. His rookie year the consensus was that his role was simply to not make mistakes and let the team carry him. Now he seems to have emerged as a top tier quarterback who can make plays on his own. But would he have the same individual success now on a less talented team than the current Steelers? How would Big Ben fare behind center in Atlanta?

Exactly, how would Payton look behind The Rams, or what would Brady do if he played for Miami...etc

Campbell folded like a cheap suit at the end of the 4th quarter. I love the guy, but facts are facts.

Who here has doubts that Romo sits to pee, Brady, Manning, or Favre would NOT have marched their team up the field for a score?

Can you say with a straight face that you can't imagine Romo sits to pee, Brady or Favre folding under pressure?

Dur, what??

Is this a joke? Palmer is solid qb, but I can't fathom any metric by which one would choose Palmer over Brady.

That "metrics" can't measure QBs very well was my point, SMG.

I can't see the intangibles, so I judge QBs on their abilities as a passer. Palmer has more skill than Brady, IMO.

Then why didn't Jeff Garcia make Cleveland and Detroit winners?

Because 50% of his supporting cast were not any good? Because he was not all that good either? who knows, probably a bit of both in fairness. His "2nd coming" with the Eagles was more about the talent of the other 10 people on that team than Garcia. I would think at least half the starting QB's would have put up his numbers had they been inserted into his position there.

Why is this thread specifically about Garcia anyway?

Archived