Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Offense: time to open it up

nneece

First, let me say I realize there have been countless threads on this. But, it is time to abandon the conservative ball-control style of offense and start to have something that resembles a passing attack. In my estimation, the following things need to occur:

- Get Moss in the game and establish him as the #1 WR. This will only occur through repetition of throwing him the ball. He will drop the ball and this may lead to interceptions but only through repetition will a rhythm be reestablished with our top play maker.

- Get Cooley in the game. He has small pockets of play and then disappears. Have to use him more consistently.

- Throw over the middle. Has to happen to loosen Defenses up which will help the running game and quick strikes will/ can take pressure off of the O-line.

- Use 3 and 4 WR sets. Use McCarddell. Has to happen occasionally to keep Defenses honest which will help the running game.

- Go deep more then once or twice a game. Has to happen to stretch the field thereby loosen Defenses up which will help the running game.

- Establish Jason Cambell's confidence as a QB. Will only happen through repetition.

I think you can see where I am going with this. Will JC throw interceptions and make mistakes? Absolutely. Will we lose some games? Absolutely. Will our offense gain confidence and establish a throwing game and an identity? Absolutely. None of this stuff will come unless an EFFORT is made to make it happen. This starts with the coaching philosphy and play calling. I've been a Redskins fan for along time and followed Gibbs under Gibbs I. Today's team is simply not representative of the way the old teams use to play. More chances have to be taken and the offense has to get into some type of rhythm. Offensive play calling is important and I say hand this over 100% to Al Saunders. This is why he was brought in. Having Saunders go away would be a huge waste and will not help what ailes this team.

I like the post, our so call brethren get sick of reading about it because its true. If we establish a passing attack this sunday the Iggles don't stand a chance. If we continue to play call like usual, it will be another needless nail biter that hopefully our D can pull it out in the end

While the OP was a good post I wish more people would realize two things before blaming our offensive woes on "playcalling" and "coaching" alone.

1 - Passing plays were called and when they are many of those times JC fails to make the correct read and doesn't find his WR who are open.

2 - When you can get 400+ yards of offense, control the clock for 35+ minutes, have your #1 RB go for nearly "2 bills" on the ground, and are facing, argueably, the worst run defense in football....you don't abandon a gameplan that works. Keep running.

That being said, I agree more needs to happen. The coaches need to install a confidence in JC that he can take and win a few games for us when we will need him to. Believe me, those games are right around the corner. I am not saying JC needs to throw 40 times a game. In fact, if that happens, we will almost always loose football games. But I do agree, the threat needs to be there. That will take two sides working together. The coaches calling the plays( and they have ), and the QB making the proper reads and eventuyally throws ( and he hasn't...not enough, yet).

Edit : And for those expecting a different gameplan this week vs. the Eagles I recommend you prepare yourself for more of the same. The Eagles, without Trotter at LB, are VERY weak against the run.

Just my two pennies worth. :logo:

If you realize there have been countless threads on this, then why did you make another thread about it? You could have simply posted this in of the other threads, instead of taking up the board with a thread you yourself have admitted is redundant.

This is the most important topic about this team currently. There cannot be enough threads about this until changes are made. I realize that fans creating threads on a fan board has nothing to do with what occurs on the field, but still I feel the need to point out the obvious problem with this team. If you want to discuss this team, this is the #1 topic to discuss.

ok, the poeple who have been sitting here screaming to open up the offense... need to understand something. We arent ready for this offense to be completely "opened up" You have to realize, we have a wounded offensive line, who just proved last week that they can handle the line of scrimmage. We have 2 recievers that have had Hamstring issues all year long. We have a QB who is still real young and is understanding things with experience.

you cant just throw a good arm into a bad situation and expect it to be the solution. We arent in practice. Maybe Campbell hasnt gotten to the point where he is completely comfortable going downfield. We've seen him miss a couple easy passes down the field (not that he's a bad QB, but he's still young). He's obviously got the arm for it, but he needs continuity. He needs to know that he's not going to get drilled if he holds onto the ball for more then 3 seconds. He needs to have confidence in his offensive line to give him time before he's going to have confidence in his arm.

While the OP was a good post I wish more people would realize two things before blaming our offensive woes on "playcalling" and "coaching" alone.

1 - Passing plays were called and when they are many of those times JC fails to make the correct read and doesn't find his WR who are open.

2 - When you can get 400+ yards of offense, control the clock for 35+ minutes, have your #1 RB go for nearly "2 bills" on the ground, and are facing, argueably, the worst run defense in football....you don't abandon a gameplan that works. Keep running.

That being said, I agree more needs to happen. The coaches need to install a confidence in JC that he can take and win a few games for us when we will need him to. Believe me, those games are right around the corner. I am not saying JC needs to throw 40 times a game. In fact, if that happens, we will almost always loose football games. But I do agree, the threat needs to be there. That will take two sides working together. The coaches calling the plays( and they have ), and the QB making the proper reads and eventuyally throws ( and he hasn't...not enough, yet).

Edit : And for those expecting a different gameplan this week vs. the Eagles I recommend you prepare yourself for more of the same. The Eagles, without Trotter at LB, are VERY weak against the run.

I don't think we're asking for an offensive overhaul, but wouldn't it be nice to see some NFL caliber throws past the first down markers?

Campbell's confidence and ability to complete these plays will only come through repetition in game situations. No way around that, and it doesn't matter if we ditch Campbell and go with another QB except for possibly a veteran play caller which is difficult to do.

Re: #2: that was 1 game. The body of work prior to that game has shown that our running game will be shut down. The running game will only improve if we attempt to throw the ball more.

I don't think we're asking for an offensive overhaul, but wouldn't it be nice to see some NFL caliber throws past the first down markers?

I agree 100%. I just want to point out that some of that should be on the QB's shoulders. His WRs are open and running routes downfield. He just isn't finding them yet. Eventually, I am hopeful, he will.

ok, the poeple who have been sitting here screaming to open up the offense... need to understand something. We arent ready for this offense to be completely "opened up" You have to realize, we have a wounded offensive line, who just proved last week that they can handle the line of scrimmage. We have 2 recievers that have had Hamstring issues all year long. We have a QB who is still real young and is understanding things with experience.

you cant just throw a good arm into a bad situation and expect it to be the solution. We arent in practice. Maybe Campbell hasnt gotten to the point where he is completely comfortable going downfield. We've seen him miss a couple easy passes down the field (not that he's a bad QB, but he's still young). He's obviously got the arm for it, but he needs continuity. He needs to know that he's not going to get drilled if he holds onto the ball for more then 3 seconds. He needs to have confidence in his offensive line to give him time before he's going to have confidence in his arm.

While what you say about the O-line is true, this offense has not been "opened up" since Gibbs returned from retirement. This is not about whatever the current excuse is for not opening up the offense, this is about the conservative nature of Gibbs playcalling which became more conservative in the second incarnation.

The argument about Campbell is a chicken or the egg type of argument. "We won't throw the ball deep until Campbell has confidence and makes better throws", but "Campbell will not gain confidence and make better throws until he has more experience doing it in game situations". There is a learning curve and we are at the point where Campbell has to go through that learning curve, and yes there will be interceptions, fumbles, games lossed due to the learning curve. No way around that.

Sounds like we have found our new offensive coordinator! He was able to figure out the problem with this team only watching it 3 hours per week! After all...the current coaches don't know a thing!

Where the hell did we find these guys?

I say just keep giving Portis 30 carries a game. We need to play to our strength. We are not the Colts or Pats, we are the Redskins, and the Redskins are a run first team. Those of you who expect Campbell to pass for 300 yards a week are delusional.

Nothing wrong with Portis, but a couple of things. Portis has not really had a good game until this past week when we played the 29th ranked run defense. His longest run was, what, 8 yards prior to last weeks game? I can remember at least 3 games this season where Portis fumbled the ball inside the redzone.

Making more attempt to throw the ball will only make the running game that much better. Currently this team has no balance.

While what you say about the O-line is true, this offense has not been "opened up" since Gibbs returned from retirement. This is not about whatever the current excuse is for not opening up the offense, this is about the conservative nature of Gibbs playcalling which became more conservative in the second incarnation.

The argument about Campbell is a chicken or the egg type of argument. "We won't throw the ball deep until Campbell has confidence and makes better throws", but "Campbell will not gain confidence and make better throws until he has more experience doing it in game situations". There is a learning curve and we are at the point where Campbell has to go through that learning curve, and yes there will be interceptions, fumbles, games lossed due to the learning curve. No way around that.

My point is that Gibbs and co.'s conservative playcalling is because they dont think it's the most effective way to win football games. you're absolutely right, Campbell wont gain confidence until he takes risks. But then again, based on what you've seen, can you honestly tell me that our recievers give Campbell the best chance to make these plays? They havent shown me anything yet this year either. Moss hasnt been playing to his form, but then again, when he had the big year, how many of his big plays were due to him catching the ball short and busting it long? Look at Randle El's catch against Detroit on 4th down.

Even when Brunell was in the game, and we made some of these "big plays" it was more execution then play design. Cooley's TD against Dallas as the half was winding down a couple years ago. Wasnt because he went deep, he broke tackles. Moss's 30 yd td against NYG a couple years ago, was on a WR screen. Portis' td that got called back against Green bay a couple years ago, wasnt deep, it was a HD Middle that traveled in the air for about 8 yards.

I understand that they havent opened up the offense like they did in the 91' season. But then again, we dont have the Hogs here yet. We are working on it but it's not the same offense.

When you show me that Moss/Randle El/McCardell can get deep, open, and reliably catch the football you'll see it.

When you sohw me that Campbell can have the time to throw the football and not have to roll out, or get out of the pocket, or get away from defenders, you'll see it.

When Clinton Portis' reputation comes back where you see 8 in the box, you'll see it.

Until then, i'd rather Gibbs & co. keep doing what is going to be consistant.

First, let me say I realize there have been countless threads on this. But, it is time to abandon the conservative ball-control style of offense and start to have something that resembles a passing attack. In my estimation, the following things need to occur:

- Get Moss in the game and establish him as the #1 WR. This will only occur through repetition of throwing him the ball. He will drop the ball and this may lead to interceptions but only through repetition will a rhythm be reestablished with our top play maker.

- Get Cooley in the game. He has small pockets of play and then disappears. Have to use him more consistently.

- Throw over the middle. Has to happen to loosen Defenses up which will help the running game and quick strikes will/ can take pressure off of the O-line.

- Use 3 and 4 WR sets. Use McCarddell. Has to happen occasionally to keep Defenses honest which will help the running game.

- Go deep more then once or twice a game. Has to happen to stretch the field thereby loosen Defenses up which will help the running game.

- Establish Jason Cambell's confidence as a QB. Will only happen through repetition.

I think you can see where I am going with this. Will JC throw interceptions and make mistakes? Absolutely. Will we lose some games? Absolutely. Will our offense gain confidence and establish a throwing game and an identity? Absolutely. None of this stuff will come unless an EFFORT is made to make it happen. This starts with the coaching philosphy and play calling. I've been a Redskins fan for along time and followed Gibbs under Gibbs I. Today's team is simply not representative of the way the old teams use to play. More chances have to be taken and the offense has to get into some type of rhythm. Offensive play calling is important and I say hand this over 100% to Al Saunders. This is why he was brought in. Having Saunders go away would be a huge waste and will not help what ailes this team.

Terrible post, were 5-3 if it aint broke why try and fix it? 2 out of 3 games literally came down to the last play of the game so the game plan wasnt the problem meaning why pass more if the outcome could have been the same? living in a what IF world doesnt mean the redskins will win more games :sucks:

Defenses are terrified of Santana Moss. This is why they either double cover him or play a bunch of cover 2 so that Campbell can't get the ball to him. Cooley and Antwaan Randle El does shine, but it's vital that Jason doesn't make mistakes trying to force the ball into coverage.

The best way for the team to opening up the pass they way they want is to utilize the running game. That means pounding it out with Portis and Betts until they bring that safety up in the box. You can't play zone coverage with a safety in the box unless he's dropping back in coverage once the ball his hiked. But once Portis starts getting 100 yards a game on average, that should open up the passing game.

Nothing wrong with Portis, but a couple of things. Portis has not really had a good game until this past week when we played the 29th ranked run defense. His longest run was, what, 8 yards prior to last weeks game? I can remember at least 3 games this season where Portis fumbled the ball inside the redzone.

Making more attempt to throw the ball will only make the running game that much better. Currently this team has no balance.

thats an obvious answer, the offensive line is not consistant so how will be play better if they arent run blocking good? i wont even start to break down the pass protection. :doh1:

thats an obvious answer, the offensive line is not consistant so how will be play better if they arent run blocking good? i wont even start to break down the pass protection. :doh1:

Pass protection or run blocking- both present issues when you have O-line problems. So why lean heavily on 1, running, when both areas present a problem?

Archived