Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Offense: time to open it up

nneece

Terrible post, were 5-3 if it aint broke why try and fix it? 2 out of 3 games literally came down to the last play of the game so the game plan wasnt the problem meaning why pass more if the outcome could have been the same? living in a what IF world doesnt mean the redskins will win more games :sucks:

We eeked it out over 2 terrible teams, Miami and the Jets. We got blown out by the Pats. Some of the upcoming teams we are facing in division foes Dallas and the Giants are closer to the Pats then they are to Miami and the Jets. 21 points or less is probably not going to win these games for us. Need more balance in the pass and run which will make the entire offense more effective...

its easier to hand the ball off to your running back, thats less chance of a turnover and greater chance at gaining yards while allowing the clock to run. we already know what the defense is capable of why not sit on the lead and win the game keeping the opposing teams offense OFF the field? Passing the ball can lead to INTs, sacks / FF and incomplete passes that stop the clock with no yards gained. its basic football logic when the offensive line cant buy you the time you need in the pocket during pass protection. hand it off

its easier to hand the ball off to your running back, thats less chance of a turnover and greater chance at gaining yards while allowing the clock to run. we already know what the defense is capable of why not sit on the lead and win the game keeping the opposing teams offense OFF the field? Passing the ball can lead to INTs, sacks / FF and incomplete passes that stop the clock with no yards gained. its basic football logic when the offensive line cant buy you the time you need in the pocket during pass protection. hand it off

I agree. I think people are wowed at a bigtime passing team. Its seems like some kind of "sexy football". Gone are the days of pounding the rock as a teams Idenity. I like big plays here and there, but I'd much rather see the team play smart, sound, clock controling football :2cents:

I think people fail to realize the genius of Joe Gibbs conservative offense. Running the ball 35 times a game does several things: It wears out the defense, lulls the defense to sleep, and increases time of possession (which, of course, keeps our defense off the field).

Think back to 2005. We ran the ball 30+ times through most of our 6 game winning streak. Our offense would often run Portis five straight times, or more even, then beat 'em deep with a play action pass to Santana Moss. Our defense was not on the field much, and thus more successful when they were. Oppossing teams' defenses were worn down in the second half enabling us to score late. The conservative apporach works, if you have a running game that can get first downs on its own, which we did that year.

This year, that strategy has not been as successful for a few reasons: The running game is not as consistent with the injuries to the offensive line, Jason Campbell has not been able to connect on the deep passes (as Brunell did in 2005), and this strategy has not been employed as faithfully as it was in 2005 (until last week).

Anyone who doubts that this conservative offensive apporoach can be successful in today's NFL need only look to Marty's 14-2 record last season, or Bill Cowher's Super Bowl title.

No sir, I have no problems with Joe Gibbs' smashmouth football. I worry much more about our patchwork offensive line and Campbell's accuracy.

:notworthy :applause: :cheers: longer drives with running success help extend drives in small amounts when you get 1st downs, the more plays a team has on their drive is revered as good clock management or ball control football. going down the field with big passing plays allows pts but expose a teams in ability to control the flow of the game, it almost appears desperate. Unless you have a dominate offensive line that buys you extended time with awesome pass protection and a defense that can make the opposing team more desperate to keep pace :2cents:

The Eagles will play soft. I'm not counting on us blowing them out, but we were able to run circles around their secondary in the first game. I think this is the game where a WR finally catches a TD pass.

I can only say I :laugh: when I read this at first and then uncontrolably I began to :cry:

Strange..Isn't it?

analysts and critics point to the lack of a deep passing game, but the fact remains that the bread and butter of most pass offenses in the NFL are the 10-20 yard patterns in the middle of the field. this is an area Gibbs refuses to let Saunders call plays for because he fears Campbell will throw picks or receivers will tip balls.

slants and crosses are the staple of productive offenses yet you hardly if ever see the Redskins run these plays.

it's been time to open up this attack since Week 4.

this offense has failed to show any improvement or variability since the Lions win.

the two wins against the Cardinals and the Jets were almost as painful to watch this year as some losses in previous years.

for the third time this season I think the Redskins owe it to themselve to come out and play a 60 minute game.

the other two times they did, against Philly and Detroit, the team secured its best wins of the season.

ones that didn't require overtime or a missed field goal to determine the outcome :)

how about use Lloyd as well? I know the guy's work ethic and attitude are far from great but we're paying him regardless. Now that our #1 and #2 WRs are dinged up we have no excuse to not use him. The guy's got a ten cent mind but he does have some talent, we need to exploit it this weekend.

Forget Lloyd. We have two players in McCardell and Caldwell that were starters on teams that made the postseason last year. I don't see any reason why a struggling offense like the Redskins can afford to ignore the experience of these players and continue to put injured players out there on Sundays who are clearly compromised and then falling back on James Thrash, who is clearly beyond the point where he can be an effective threat on the outside.

Archived