Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Herman Johnson for the Draft

method man

This guy is a guy I've identified in the next draft who I feel we should target. He is a 6-7, 350 pound guard at the college level. I think that is a bit too tall for the NFL for a guard but what about using him as a DT at the pro level? This is the type of pick we should make. He will probably go round 2 and, together, Monty and Johnson would absolutely seal up the middle once Johnson learns proper DT technique from Blatche, who turned Montgomery from a fat lazy kid to the beast he is today. Johnson has quick feet, works hard, and, actually, sometimes lines up in the backfield.

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=174227&Q_SEASON=2006

Any Skin LSU fans have any thoughts?

Montgomery is a beast?

Yeah, he's been alright. Probably a little better than I expected. But a "beast"? God that term is used loosely around here.

I've been unimpressed with our interior line play. We don't get any pressure from our Dline and our LBers have to make all the tackles on run plays because our Dline can't get off blocks. (Hint: there is a reason that we have 2 LBs in the top 10 in tackles... our Dline doesn't ever get any).

I'm not convinced our D-line coach could turn a guard into a DT through simple coaching.

I'd much rather get a disrupting DT with a high motor who already knows the position and has proven himself. (Howie's son would be an incredible pick for us; great motor, technique, character, smarts).

Alternatively, I'd like to see us get a big, strong possession WR.

Of course, if JC doesn't get significantly better soon, I might be calling for us taking a QB in the early rounds.

Montgomery is a beast?

Yeah, he's been alright. Probably a little better than I expected. But a "beast"? God that term is used loosely around here.

I've been unimpressed with our interior line play. We don't get any pressure from our Dline and our LBers have to make all the tackles on run plays because our Dline can't get off blocks. (Hint: there is a reason that we have 2 LBs in the top 10 in tackles... our Dline doesn't ever get any).

I'm not convinced our D-line coach could turn a guard into a DT through simple coaching.

I'd much rather get a disrupting DT with a high motor who already knows the position and has proven himself. (Howie's son would be an incredible pick for us; great motor, technique, character, smarts).

Of course, if JC doesn't get significantly better soon, I might be calling for us taking a QB in the early rounds.

Montgomery has done an excellent job of sealing off the interior. If a big run happens to us, it is on the outside. You don't see anyone going up the gut for 10 yards on us. He also does a great job eating up blockers, enabling us to actually get some pressure from the DLine this season.

Howie's son, by the way, is a DE who is expected to go top 5 so unless you want to go winless for the rest of the season, we are not getting him. Assuming we are going to have a mid-to-late 1st, you have to do creative things to premium DLinemen like this. In Herman, I see a natural physical freak who may be too big to play guard but is the perfect size to play DT. He just needs to develop his technique as a DT but I am imagining all the blockers he will eat up and all the passes he will bat down.

Position changes from college to the pros is pretty ordinary. A lot of the fullbacks around the league are former linebackers, for example. A lot of strongside linebackers, namely Washington and Gocong, were DEs in college.

I like this guy:

http://www.gopoly.com/index.php?p=sports_roster_detail&id=3177&cat_sport=39

So far this year he has 16 TD's in nine games and is averaging around 26 ypc. Thing is, he plays IAA (FCS, whatever you prefer) so we may be able to get him in the later rounds. Good value pick IMO.

Edit: just realized they don't give his measurements on that page. He is 6' 6", 225 lbs. With those kind of stats he has to have some explosiveness as well. Reminds me of Plaxico.

He might have talent, but experience is still necessary, especially to perform at the pro level. We can't afford to waste a 1st day pick on a guy to move him to the other side of the ball from offense to defense. Way too much bust potential there.

Look, if he can't be a DT, then we can just play him at his natural position of guard. Dude, you've known me for 6 years and I've called a bunch of people becoming good. I have a gut instinct that this guy will be able to make a move successfully because of his package of size and intangibles. He is a very hardworker. He has shed 50 pounds since coming to LSU. He is a naturally big guy who actually sometimes lines up in the backfield. I'd take a flyer on him if he is still around come round 3.

Reminds me of Plaxico.

Yet he looks exactly like Keyshawn. I had to stare at the picture for a minute to discern the differences. If this kid can play, I'm all for it. Typically guys that big are poor route runners and kind of slow. We'd have to see him at the combine to see if he's worth a pick.

Archived