Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Offensive Adjustments: Why weren't these made?

Veretax

All right I've spent the last day just thinking about our problems on offense and there are a number of things glaring that stick out to me.

1. Where's the draw play? We seem to run screens of all sorts like they are going out of style, but a couple draw plays handed off to Campbells left would have forced those Patriot DL to not be in too much of a hurry to get north to the QB.

2. Where's the Roll out? When you have a QB as mobile as campbell can be, why on earth do you make him sit in the pocket and take hit after hit (and then fumble) due to the collapse of the right side of the line. Why not roll out away from that pressure a few times, or even around it to the other side to force them to have to guess where Campbell is going to setup.

3. Boot Leg? Campbell scrambled once, the whole game that I saw, but it was hardly a scripted play. How about an occasional boot leg, or even a QB Draw now and then?

4. Pump fake? Pats Dbs were jumping on every hitch and out route we had, where is the pump and go to take advantage of their over aggressive ness.

5. Fake Handoff? When in the I Formation where is that play where we fake the hand off to Sellars or portis and each runs to a different side.

Bottom Line we did nothing to try and make the pats Dline work harder to get those sacks and hits on Campbell. Untill we figure out how to protect Campbell it won't matter who's lining up outside.

Every option you named takes extra time. Extra time our offensive line (in its current situation) cannot afford.

As I watched the Pats carve up the middle of the field with short passes, slants, and screens, I sat there in disbelief that all we had were WR screens and 5-10 yd outs. We didn't throw anything over the middle in the 5-10-15 yd range. It is blatantly evident that we need an effective slot receiver to go along with 2 options on the outside. If Welker can be that guy for the Pats, we need to use ARE in that role for us. :2cents:

As I watched the Pats carve up the middle of the field with short passes, slants, and screens, I sat there in disbelief that all we had were WR screens and 5-10 yd outs. We didn't throw anything over the middle in the 5-10-15 yd range. It is blatantly evident that we need an effective slot receiver to go along with 2 options on the outside. If Welker can be that guy for the Pats, we need to use ARE in that role for us. :2cents:

I really don't see much difference between the offense we run now and the offense we ran pre-Saunders. Seems to be the same tired dink-and-dunk plays. It's frustrating as hell.

The WR screen is like herpes......useless, painful, recurrent, and you can never seem to get rid of it.

I really don't see much difference between the offense we run now and the offense we ran pre-Saunders. Seems to be the same tired dink-and-dunk plays. It's frustrating as hell.

The WR screen is like herpes......useless, painful, recurrent, and you can never seem to get rid of it.

very true. i havent seen campbell complete an intermediate pass in forever.

and your sig rules by the way.

very true. i havent seen campbell complete an intermediate pass in forever.

and your sig rules by the way.

All right I've spent the last day just thinking about our problems on offense and there are a number of things glaring that stick out to me.

1. Where's the draw play? We seem to run screens of all sorts like they are going out of style, but a couple draw plays handed off to Campbells left would have forced those Patriot DL to not be in too much of a hurry to get north to the QB.

2. Where's the Roll out? When you have a QB as mobile as campbell can be, why on earth do you make him sit in the pocket and take hit after hit (and then fumble) due to the collapse of the right side of the line. Why not roll out away from that pressure a few times, or even around it to the other side to force them to have to guess where Campbell is going to setup.

3. Boot Leg? Campbell scrambled once, the whole game that I saw, but it was hardly a scripted play. How about an occasional boot leg, or even a QB Draw now and then?

4. Pump fake? Pats Dbs were jumping on every hitch and out route we had, where is the pump and go to take advantage of their over aggressive ness.

5. Fake Handoff? When in the I Formation where is that play where we fake the hand off to Sellars or portis and each runs to a different side.

Bottom Line we did nothing to try and make the pats Dline work harder to get those sacks and hits on Campbell. Untill we figure out how to protect Campbell it won't matter who's lining up outside.

All these require the O-line to buy the QB time. Which JC didn't have much to begin with on Sunday. Plus, the Patriots have a smart defense and would've blown up these half the time.

Only one person in the world can pump-fake the Patriots and he's playing them this Sunday.

All these require the O-line to buy the QB time. Which JC didn't have much to begin with on Sunday. Plus, the Patriots have a smart defense and would've blown up these half the time.

Only one person in the world can pump-fake the Patriots and he's playing them this Sunday.

ARE is playing out of position. He was supposed to be the slot receiver, but when Lloyd decided to take his signing bonus and create a rap album, ARE was forced into the #2 role.

ARE is playing out of position. He was supposed to be the slot receiver, but when Lloyd decided to take his signing bonus and create a rap album, ARE was forced into the #2 role.

Because Joe Gibbs' balls are still on a shelf, in a jar, somewhere in his NC home. He decided he wasn't going to need them this time around in the NFL, for whatever reason. I don't know how else to explain it. This offense looks no more imaginative, no more aggressive and no more competent than it did in the 2004 preseason with Mark Brunell. It consists almost enitrely of flanker screens, up the middle runs, quick outs and hitches. That's the entirety of our offense with one or two, obvious play action deep shot that has only one receiver going deep, usually thrash of all people this season.

I thought Gibbs would step aside and let Saunders run a real NFL offense. Then I thought he would do it year two with Saunders now that the players were comfortable. Now I realize that this simply is not the same Gibbs, he's too scared and for the remainder of his tenure, we will NEVER be anything more than a mediocre team dependant on the alignment of the stars and lucky bounces to fanagle a wild card birth and maybe win a playoff game.

On top of that, at the end of either this or next season, he will step away, his second tenure having been a failure, except to those who will find reasons to suggest that being under .500 and never having been to an NFC champ game is a success, and we will be staring at the prospect of having Dan Synder back in full control of the team, no childhood idol to defer to, and who knows what then? Maybe he'll decide to coach the team himself? I stayed on the Gibbs bandwagon long enough while every shred of evidence was hitting me in the face telling me otherwise. I cringe to think of what direction Dan will take this franchise when Gibbs steps away a second time, this time humbled.

Because Joe Gibbs' balls are still on a shelf, in a jar, somewhere in his NC home. He decided he wasn't going to need them this time around in the NFL, for whatever reason. I don't know how else to explain it. This offense looks no more imaginative, no more aggressive and no more competent than it did in the 2004 preseason with Mark Brunell. It consists almost enitrely of flanker screens, up the middle runs, quick outs and hitches. That's the entirety of our offense with one or two, obvious play action deep shot that has only one receiver going deep, usually thrash of all people this season.

I thought Gibbs would step aside and let Saunders run a real NFL offense. Then I thought he would do it year two with Saunders now that the players were comfortable. Now I realize that this simply is not the same Gibbs, he's too scared and for the remainder of his tenure, we will NEVER be anything more than a mediocre team dependant on the alignment of the stars and lucky bounces to fanagle a wild card birth and maybe win a playoff game.

On top of that, at the end of either this or next season, he will step away, his second tenure having been a failure, except to those who will find reasons to suggest that being under .500 and never having been to an NFC champ game is a success, and we will be staring at the prospect of having Dan Synder back in full control of the team, no childhood idol to defer to, and who knows what then? Maybe he'll decide to coach the team himself? I stayed on the Gibbs bandwagon long enough while every shred of evidence was hitting me in the face telling me otherwise. I cringe to think of what direction Dan will take this franchise when Gibbs steps away a second time, this time humbled.

Seeing how the Pats came out on offense against us, when we were expecting slants and a lot of passes, they started out running up the middle. They do the unexpected. They always seem to be ahead of the curve. You have to adjust to what they're doing, as apposed to them adjusting to your defense.

Most of this is due to great o-line play, hall of fame QB play, and great WRs, but the x factor that makes them a record breaking O is that you can't expect a certain style from them.

In a copy cat league, we need to take a page from this mentality, and come out with plays that counter what the D has prepared for after watching film. EVERYONE, not just coaches or players, EVERYONE who watches football knows are gameplan. Then it comes down to execution, and imagine that, when we don't execute perfectly, we're punting.

Put CP behind center again, hell put ARE back there. Come out sending everyone deep the first 3 plays of the game. Throw the screen to ARE and have him launch it to Moss. Not only are these calls completely unexpected, I believe it will loosen the players up and force them to keep their heads in the game. Keep our guys guessing as to what we're going to do as much as the D.

Seeing how the Pats came out on offense against us, when we were expecting slants and a lot of passes, they started out running up the middle. They do the unexpected. They always seem to be ahead of the curve. You have to adjust to what they're doing, as apposed to them adjusting to your defense.

Most of this is due to great o-line play, hall of fame QB play, and great WRs, but the x factor that makes them a record breaking O is that you can't expect a certain style from them.

In a copy cat league, we need to take a page from this mentality, and come out with plays that counter what the D has prepared for after watching film. EVERYONE, not just coaches or players, EVERYONE who watches football knows are gameplan. Then it comes down to execution, and imagine that, when we don't execute perfectly, we're punting.

Put CP behind center again, hell put ARE back there. Come out sending everyone deep the first 3 plays of the game. Throw the screen to ARE and have him launch it to Moss. Not only are these calls completely unexpected, I believe it will loosen the players up and force them to keep their heads in the game. Keep our guys guessing as to what we're going to do as much as the D.

This goes without saying. It's pretty much what made Gibbs so succesful in the first place. Deception was Gibbs mantra in his SB years and i'm sure he hasnt forgotten that this is an important aspect of a succesful football team.

This goes without saying. It's pretty much what made Gibbs so succesful in the first place. Deception was Gibbs mantra in his SB years and i'm sure he hasnt forgotten that this is an important aspect of a succesful football team.

Archived