Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Offensive Adjustments: Why weren't these made?

Veretax

This goes without saying. It's pretty much what made Gibbs so succesful in the first place. Deception was Gibbs mantra in his SB years and i'm sure he hasnt forgotten that this is an important aspect of a succesful football team.

That sure doesn't show on the field. I can practically predict 80% of the play calls based on formation, shifts and down and distance from watching on my ****ing sofa. If he's not fooling me and he's predictable to me, you can bet your ass he's not fooling opposing defenses.

This goes without saying. It's pretty much what made Gibbs so succesful in the first place. Deception was Gibbs mantra in his SB years and i'm sure he hasnt forgotten that this is an important aspect of a succesful football team.

That sure doesn't show on the field. I can practically predict 80% of the play calls based on formation, shifts and down and distance from watching on my ****ing sofa. If he's not fooling me and he's predictable to me, you can bet your ass he's not fooling opposing defenses.

Hard to argue with that. But in order to become unpredictable you have to have success with what you run "normally". We knew what the Pats have been succesful with on offense or what their "bread and butter" has been.

The Skins O has no bread or butter to start with.

Hard to argue with that. But in order to become unpredictable you have to have success with what you run "normally". We knew what the Pats have been succesful with on offense or what their "bread and butter" has been.

Part of that has to do with our stubburness. If you noticed, all the Pats were doing is taking what we gave them. You want to play Tampa 2 every snap and run Fletcher 30 yards down the field? Ok, we'll run a receiver at the outside shoulder of each of the OLB's and then throw a little on the run pass to Welker or a RB up the middle. Cake.

What do we do? We run into 8 man fronts, up the middle. We throw flankers against tight man coverage. We continue to throw short, dink and dunk routes when the corners are playing tight and jumping them. We do the safe play, that everyone is expecting, all the time. What the Pats do is TAKE WHAT'S GIVEN! We don't, we force the safe play time and time again.

Part of that has to do with our stubburness. If you noticed, all the Pats were doing is taking what we gave them. You want to play Tampa 2 every snap and run Fletcher 30 yards down the field? Ok, we'll run a receiver at the outside shoulder of each of the OLB's and then throw a little on the run pass to Welker or a RB up the middle. Cake.

What do we do? We run into 8 man fronts, up the middle. We throw flankers against tight man coverage. We continue to throw short, dink and dunk routes when the corners are playing tight and jumping them. We do the safe play, that everyone is expecting, all the time. What the Pats do is TAKE WHAT'S GIVEN! We don't, we force the safe play time and time again.

The reason is there is a medical condition that Gibbs apparently is suffering from:

Dementia (from Latin de- "apart, away" + mens (genitive mentis) "mind") is the progressive decline in cognitive function due to damage or disease in the brain beyond what might be expected from normal ageing.

Particularly affected areas may be memory, attention, language, and problem solving. Especially in the later stages of the condition, affected persons may be disoriented in time (not knowing what day of the week, day of the month, month, or even what year it is), in place (not knowing where they are), and in person (not knowing who they are).

Symptoms of dementia can be classified as either reversible or irreversible depending upon the etiology of the disease. Less than 10 percent of cases of dementia have been reversed. Dementia is a non-specific term encompassing many disease processes, just as fever is attributable to many etiologies.

Without careful assessment, delirium can easily be confused with dementia and a number of other psychiatric disorders because many of the signs and symptoms are also present in dementia (as well as other mental illnesses including depression and psychosis).[1]

The reason is there is a medical condition that Gibbs apparently is suffering from:

Dementia (from Latin de- "apart, away" + mens (genitive mentis) "mind") is the progressive decline in cognitive function due to damage or disease in the brain beyond what might be expected from normal ageing.

Particularly affected areas may be memory, attention, language, and problem solving. Especially in the later stages of the condition, affected persons may be disoriented in time (not knowing what day of the week, day of the month, month, or even what year it is), in place (not knowing where they are), and in person (not knowing who they are).

Symptoms of dementia can be classified as either reversible or irreversible depending upon the etiology of the disease. Less than 10 percent of cases of dementia have been reversed. Dementia is a non-specific term encompassing many disease processes, just as fever is attributable to many etiologies.

Without careful assessment, delirium can easily be confused with dementia and a number of other psychiatric disorders because many of the signs and symptoms are also present in dementia (as well as other mental illnesses including depression and psychosis).[1]

Is that true though? That's my point, if we become unpredictable, and at least attempt completely different things that we're used to, defenses will have to play more on their heels. Either that or just stop it just as easily as they stop our current plays. I think it's worth a try at this point. Maybe we'll find out we are really good at something that we just haven't tried due to a conservative style. If not, well big deal, we're at the same spot we left off.

Is that true though? That's my point, if we become unpredictable, and at least attempt completely different things that we're used to, defenses will have to play more on their heels. Either that or just stop it just as easily as they stop our current plays. I think it's worth a try at this point. Maybe we'll find out we are really good at something that we just haven't tried due to a conservative style. If not, well big deal, we're at the same spot we left off.

All right I've spent the last day just thinking about our problems on offense and there are a number of things glaring that stick out to me.

1. Where's the draw play? We seem to run screens of all sorts like they are going out of style, but a couple draw plays handed off to Campbells left would have forced those Patriot DL to not be in too much of a hurry to get north to the QB.

2. Where's the Roll out? When you have a QB as mobile as campbell can be, why on earth do you make him sit in the pocket and take hit after hit (and then fumble) due to the collapse of the right side of the line. Why not roll out away from that pressure a few times, or even around it to the other side to force them to have to guess where Campbell is going to setup.

3. Boot Leg? Campbell scrambled once, the whole game that I saw, but it was hardly a scripted play. How about an occasional boot leg, or even a QB Draw now and then?

4. Pump fake? Pats Dbs were jumping on every hitch and out route we had, where is the pump and go to take advantage of their over aggressive ness.

5. Fake Handoff? When in the I Formation where is that play where we fake the hand off to Sellars or portis and each runs to a different side.

Bottom Line we did nothing to try and make the pats Dline work harder to get those sacks and hits on Campbell. Untill we figure out how to protect Campbell it won't matter who's lining up outside.

I just posted in another thread about number 4. I agree with ya. But There's no point in the QB pump faking if the Coaches aren't calling for the receivers to run out-and-ups, or any fakeshort-golong patterns. The playcalling/ WR patterns are so predictable. We always run predictable ass patterns right at the first down marker.

I could play DB against the skins. I'd just have to jump the first move the WR shows me, cause the skins don't stretch the field beyond the first down marker. That's why so many receivers fail on our team, cause the patterns they are told to run are so predictable.

All right I've spent the last day just thinking about our problems on offense and there are a number of things glaring that stick out to me.

1. Where's the draw play? We seem to run screens of all sorts like they are going out of style, but a couple draw plays handed off to Campbells left would have forced those Patriot DL to not be in too much of a hurry to get north to the QB.

2. Where's the Roll out? When you have a QB as mobile as campbell can be, why on earth do you make him sit in the pocket and take hit after hit (and then fumble) due to the collapse of the right side of the line. Why not roll out away from that pressure a few times, or even around it to the other side to force them to have to guess where Campbell is going to setup.

3. Boot Leg? Campbell scrambled once, the whole game that I saw, but it was hardly a scripted play. How about an occasional boot leg, or even a QB Draw now and then?

4. Pump fake? Pats Dbs were jumping on every hitch and out route we had, where is the pump and go to take advantage of their over aggressive ness.

5. Fake Handoff? When in the I Formation where is that play where we fake the hand off to Sellars or portis and each runs to a different side.

Bottom Line we did nothing to try and make the pats Dline work harder to get those sacks and hits on Campbell. Untill we figure out how to protect Campbell it won't matter who's lining up outside.

I just posted in another thread about number 4. I agree with ya. But There's no point in the QB pump faking if the Coaches aren't calling for the receivers to run out-and-ups, or any fakeshort-golong patterns. The playcalling/ WR patterns are so predictable. We always run predictable ass patterns right at the first down marker.

I could play DB against the skins. I'd just have to jump the first move the WR shows me, cause the skins don't stretch the field beyond the first down marker. That's why so many receivers fail on our team, cause the patterns they are told to run are so predictable.

TO MY FELLOW REDKSINS FANS:

Considering the fact, there are so many people out there who

seem to know squat about the NFL; I was just wondering....

Who do you think is the most credibile voice when talking about the Redskins?

TO MY FELLOW REDKSINS FANS:

Considering the fact, there are so many people out there who

seem to know squat about the NFL; I was just wondering....

Who do you think is the most credibile voice when talking about the Redskins?

I dont think JC likes to run. It seems he takes the last possible second to decide to run and usually I have screamed at him to run 3 or 4 times. When the lane is WIDE OPEN and 2nd or 3rd down he should hit it more quickly than he seems to.

Maybe they have told him not to run. /shrugs

I dont think JC likes to run. It seems he takes the last possible second to decide to run and usually I have screamed at him to run 3 or 4 times. When the lane is WIDE OPEN and 2nd or 3rd down he should hit it more quickly than he seems to.

Maybe they have told him not to run. /shrugs

Archived