Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dallas @ NY Giants 11/11

KiwiSupaFlyNuka

No seriously, I know I started this thread as kind of a tease but this game is going to be GREAT!

It doesn't get any better does it? Possibly the most important game all year... Eli, Romo sits to pee, Coughlin, Phillips, or more importantly Garrett and Spags. Chief Osi, Williams, Jacobs, Barber, TO, Plaxico, Whitten and Shockey. Strahan, Ware, etc. great week coming up.

Less than 24 hours till game time... :applause:

Giants - Cowboys Preview

By David Syvertsen | November 10th, 2007

E-mail | Print | Share

Finally the time has come. The game of the 2007 season is upon us and if you’re anything like me, this past week consisted of daydreaming and lost sleep. The 6-2 Giants will square off against the 7-1 Dallas Cowboys for the lead in the NFC East division in East Rutherford. They are breaking out their red uniforms and have requested the fans to cover themselves in red as well to create an atmosphere that will be second to none on Sunday. The Giants are one of the hottest teams in football but they have accomplished nothing yet. After all, they have the same amount of wins as a team that will finish the 2007 season 6-10. The opportunity to put second half-woes under the Tom Coughlin era to an end will be alive and well this week, how will this team respond?

Offensive Keys to the Game

Shockey, early and often

I devoted an entire article to him a couple days ago and it would be silly for me not to label him as a key to this game. He is going to be on Sunday and Eli needs to find him, no questions asked. The Cowboys have a fear for Plaxico Burress after what he has done to them the past two NYG-Dallas matchups thus he will see double and triple teams. There isn’t a single defender on that squad that can hang with Shockey and he has proven it on numerous occasions. Shockey is one of the few guys on this team that can consistently make things happen once the ball gets into his hands. I expect there to be a considerable amount of points put up on the board and we’ll need all the big plays we can get. I want at least 8 passes thrown his way.

Control the ball

I can’t stress this one enough. If Big Blue comes out and loses the turnover battle, I can’t see this team with 7 wins after the game. There are a few factors that equate into this process and it all starts with Eli Manning. He has had the knack for making a bonehead decision every game which has led to a high number of interceptions. He is going to feel pressure this week and he has to know that taking a sack is a better option that throwing a ball into a tight spot. Kareem McKenzie needs to make sure he handles whichever pass rusher lines up against him whether it be Ellis, Ware, or Spencer. I don’t want Eli feeling uneasy in the pocket because that is where he makes the bad decisions and I also want to avoid those pass rushers stripping the ball from Manning. Jacobs’ ball security has been shaky and while I want him to concentrate on running Cowboys over, he needs to hold that ball high and tight.

Let Jacobs go wild

Another way to prevent the Cowboys offense from putting up points is to obviously keep Tony Romo sits to pee off the field. No, I don’t want him injured, I just want to watch him on the sideline. Brandon Jacobs lives for these kind of games and there are a lot of extra incentives rolling here. He has publicly stated that he hates the Cowboys and it’s evident while watching him play against them. He was also taken out early in the week 1 contest due to a knee injury, thus he will be chompin’ at the bit to let them know what they were missing. I don’t care what kind of persona the Dallas defense has, they don’t want to play against an angry, motivated Jacobs. If we can get him the ball 25+ times, I guarantee our offense will have success. It will set up the playaction which suits Eli’s strengths and it increases our time of possession. Pounding the ball will absolutely increase the chances of the Giants winning this game.

Defensive Keys to the Game

Confuse Romo sits to pee

I have re-watched game tapes of a few Dallas games this season and something jumped out at me. When Romo sits to pee struggles, it is almost always a direct result of pass rush schemes that are a bit more complex than just four down linemen against his offensive line. The Buffalo Bills for example (where Romo sits to pee threw 5 INTs) brought seven defenders to the line of scrimmage on each play to show an all out blitz. But they rarely rushed more than four defenders so that they still had seven guys in coverage. It confused the heck out of Romo sits to pee because instead of knowing where he could scramble to should he need to buy more time, he stayed in the pocket and forced the ball into tight spots. The book on Romo sits to pee has not changed; keep this kid in the pocket and force him to beat us with his arm, not his legs. We have a dynamic pass rush that can cause headaches all around, but it can’t be predictable or else Romo sits to pee will eat us alive, again.

Don’t overlook TO

As crazy as this sounds, teams are looking past one of the top WRs in the game. TE Jason Witten has been the favorite target of Romo sits to pee and the majority of the passes are being thrown in his direction with success. Safeties are paying so much attention to him that TO has slipped under the radar and Romo sits to pee has started to take notice, giving him 17 catches for 277 yards and 2 TDs over the last two games. Witten has killed us the past couple of times we have squared off against the ‘boys and it will be easy for us to convert all our attention on stopping him. But to think that Sam Madison can cover him 1-0n-1 all evening is sickening. It may seem obvious to some, but TO needs to see his fair share of double teams as often as Witten does.

Jam the Box

This sort of coincides with my first defensive key to the game, but it goes much deeper than just the pass rush. As potent as the Cowboys passing attack is, jamming the box will help us against two compenents that set up the deep passing game. The Giants defensive line does not match up well against the Cowboys running game because of their smashmouth style. The Dallas offensive line is the best in the NFC with a bunch of enormous, strong bodies that can create a new line of scrimmage one very down. That combined with the Giants undersized defensive line creates issues, much like it did week 1. If we can simply outnumber the blockers at the point of attack, this offense will become one dimensional and that’s what we want. Jamming the box will also decrease the possibility of the successful dump offs Romo sits to pee has become accustomed to and without that, Witten and TO are the only targets worth worrying about.

Summary/Prediction

This is going to be a fun game to watch, no question. The NFC East is one of the toughest divisions in football and the cream of the crop will be up against each other on Sunday at 4:15. Even though there will be a ton of football left to play after this week, the magnitude of this game is enormous. The Giants can pretty much kiss their divisional championship possibility goodbye if they lose this game but if they win, in a league where momentum is vital, they will have all of it.

Many are predicting this game to be identical to the first, a shootout with lots of big plays and little defense. I’m in the minority here, I think this game will be won by the better defense. The weather will not favor the passing attacks and that cannot be overlooked, especially in the Meadowlands. Both defenses have vastly improved since the first week, vastly. I think the Giants will put plenty of pressure on Romo sits to pee and he will throw us a couple of INTs, giving the offense quality field position. However, the CBs in Dallas haven’t been giving up the deep ball and FS Ken Hamlin has been playing great football as well. It’s going to be tough to get points on the board unless Jacobs can get rolling fast. I question the Giants ability to put together long drives consistently but if given a short field to work with, we will get into the endzone three times.

The X-factor that strikes some fear into me is the disparity between the two kickers. Dallas’ Nick Folk, a rookie, has shown some clutch ability and has been kicking the ball through the uprights all season. Lawrence Tynes on the other hand is still trying to figure out how to punch one through on extra points. With both defenses playing at a high level, I don’t see either offense sustaining long drive after long drive thus the field goals could play a huge role. But honestly, and you guys know I do not always favor the Giants because I am a fan, I see the Giants pulling away before this game is decided between the kickers. Spags has proven to me that he is an excellent adjustment coach that can alter a gameplan during the heat of a battle without skipping a beat. I trust that he will force Romo sits to pee into enough mistakes to allow Eli and his offense to put up points on the board. And even though I respect the Cowboys very much, they are coming in a bit too ****y and won’t even know what hit them.

Giants Win - 27-20

Season Predictions (6-2)

<DIV class=blog_post_footer>

author_Syvertsen.gifBy David Syvertsen

']I am very nervous about this game. It is going to go down to the wire and whoever makes a play at the end of the fourth quarter will win.

I am too-especially with the fact that the Giants are rested, healthy, the coaches having 2 weeks to prepare, it's in front of a VERY hostile Meadowlands crowd, and Eli seems to have his best games against us.:(

With that being said-I'm relieved we got passed Philly at the Linc last week, b/c I penciled this game as a loss the minute the Giants beat the Eagles at the Meadowlands(which was pretty much the Do or Die Bowl).

I was worried about this game a couple weeks ago. Once the Giants established themselves as a solid team, I figured that if they got hot enough, they could beat us @ NY. But after watching how our defense has played these last few weeks, I think we should win this game. It'll be close, but we'll win.

Wow!!!! More trash from Dallas. That's it, keep talking.....

Cowboys Can End This Tomorrow

By Brian Smith | November 10th, 2007

E-mail | Print | Share

A great man, Angel Spassov, once said, “kittens can never be tigers.” His point: that champions must have heart and passion to succeed. If a team is not able to motivate itself, no level of talent can carry it to greatness.

The Cowboys have this desire; they are tigers. The Giants do not.

Since that playoff debacle in Seattle last season, Dallas had several opportunities to sulk and waste time, and games, trying to rediscover their heart. But thanks to Wade Phillips, Jason Garrett, Jason Witten, Tony Romo sits to pee, and all the other team leaders, this group has come closer together than any Cowboy squad in recent memory. The result: a 7-1 record, first place in the division and conference, and an opportunity to put their closest rival, the New York Giants, away for the rest of the season.

Winning in New York tomorrow will put Dallas two games up on the Giants for the division lead, and effectively clinch Dallas’ first NFC East title since 1998. How can that be, with seven games left? Simple. The Giants do not have the mental fortitude to come back from a season sweep by the Cowboys.

So much has been made about the “new Tom Coughlin” this year that it’s easy to forget he doesn’t actually step on the field. It’s up to the team to perform, and there are simply no leaders to carry the team–blowing a horn in the locker room means nothing once the referee blows his whistle on the field.

Despite entering his fifth season in the NFL, quarterback Eli Manning has not demonstrated an ability to inspire his team and lead them to a victory. Too often, New York wins despite his play under center. Against inferior talent, this is acceptable. However, the Cowboys showed on opening night that they are a superior team, beating the Giants, 45-35, despite missing several key players on both sides of the ball.

But, Giants fan say, what about our six-game winning streak? Well, it would hard for a team NOTto win six straight against Washington, Philadelphia, the Jets, Atlanta, San Francisco, and Miami. Betty Crocker wishes her cupcakes were so soft.

In both games against teams even approaching competitiveness–Dallas and Green Bay–the Giants lost, with Manning less than stellar and that vaunted defense allowing at least 35 points each night.

Since Week 1, the New York defense has gotten healthier and more consistent, but so has the Cowboy offense. Dallas just has too many weapons for New York to contain everybody on every play. Each week, someone wearing the Star becomes a tiger and hunts down a victory. Whether it’s Romo sits to pee, Witten, Marion Barber, Terrell Owens, or even big ol’ Chris Canty blocking field goals, the Cowboys simply refuse to be beaten.

Who on New York is capable of this? Surely no Manning. Brandon Jacobs? Plaxico Burress? Jeremy Shockey? Not hardly. Even with probably the greatest pair of pass rushers in the history of the world in Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora, the Giants do not have enough talent at linebacker or in the secondary to contain the Cowboys’ offense. Romo sits to pee will make plays, and Dallas will score points.

Under the pressure to keep pace, Manning will fold, as he as so many times before. And with their quarterback fallen–every team’s symbolic, if not actual, leader–the rest of the team will do the same. Monday morning, New York will be two games out and facing a road trip to a surging Detroit Lions team with an equally potent offense. The opportunity for a division title, and possible first round bye, will be gone, with a wild card berth less than guaranteed.

The Giants are kittens.

Those kittens can never be tigers.

Those kittens cannot beat tigers.

Dallas 52, New York 17.

Brian Smith can be reached at BLSmith@mail.utexas.edu

Listen to Brian talk sports every Tuesday 9-11 a.m. CST only at KVRX.ORG.

http://mvn.com/nfl-cowboys/

:rolleyes:

Well, if it makes you feel any better KiwiSupaFlyNuka, 7/8 Dallas Morning News staff writers have picked the Giants to beat the Boys(from Alan Breer to Tim Cowlishaw to Calvin Watkins to Goose Gosselin to Jean-Jacques Taylor to Todd Archer to Kevin Sherridon).

That blog you posted isn't even .01% of the entire DFW media.:laugh:

I'm so pumped about this game... it's nearly gameday! Here's to a great one, and hopefully a Cowboys victory!

But what makes you think we're going to win? Optimism is GREAT, but come on-let's get real here-the Giants are going to have an advantage in many phases come kickoff tomorrow, and it pains me to type this. I'm kinda dissapointment our fan base may be getting too confident.:(

']I didn't really see anything in there from the Cowboys themselves.

I think Owens said enough after the first game when he said that they could have put up 70 on the Giants' defense. He may have been right but saying it out loud is a different story.

Either way-I'm rather surprised how bitter this Boys/Giants rivalry really is.

To me-I find the Boys/Eagles rivalry FAR more bitter. The Giants, OTOH, never bothered me.

Either way-I'm rather surprised how bitter this Boys/Giants rivalry really is.

To me-I find the Boys/Eagles rivalry FAR more bitter. The Giants, OTOH, never bothered me.[/Quote]

It only happens when the two teams are battling for the stop spot in the division. If one is good and one bad or they are both bad, it isn't this intense. It is just because of what is at stake.

I hate the fact that this game is at 4:15 p.m. I'm already climbing the walls. Watching these 1 o'clock games is going to be agonizing.

I talk on here with a lot of Skins' fans during Giants/Skins week and I never come out of that week wanting the Giants to win so I can stick it to Skins' fans. But talking on cowboyszone.com all week makes me want the Giants to win this game not only for playoff positioning possibilities but also because I can't imagine the egos of those guys over there if they beat the Giants. You know me, I"m going back there no matter the outcome. It would be much better if I can go back there with a Giants win.

Oh boy!!!!

Come on!!! Five more hours!!!! :doh:

But what makes you think we're going to win? Optimism is GREAT, but come on-let's get real here-the Giants are going to have an advantage in many phases come kickoff tomorrow, and it pains me to type this. I'm kinda dissapointment our fan base may be getting too confident.:(

What makes me think we're going to win? The fact that it's the NFL, and that any team can win no matter what... Since when is saying, "here's hoping for a Cowboy's win" overconfident? If you don't realize that the Cowboys are a legitamite team and have a chance to win anygame they play, then I don't know what to tell you. Am I saying they WILL win every game they play? Of course not. But we always have a chance.

Archived