Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs' run-it-up history

VinceGeorgeJoe

In 1991, the Redskins led the Lions 45-0 late in the game, and had a 1st and goal inside the 5 yard line. They took a knee.

In Super Bowl XXII, they led 35-10 at halftime, and called off the dogs. Could've won by 50.

I guarantee there are tons of examples of this. Anybody got others?

Against Pittsburgh in '91, the Skins were up 34-14 late in the game. Gibbs had the 2nd teamers in with Jeff Rutledge at QB who was the 3rd stringer and holder. And when trying to convert a 3rd down Rutledge threw a pass that broke for a touchdown, Gibbs being the classy guy that he is apologized to Chuck Noll for scoring so late.

In 1991, the Redskins led the Lions 45-0 late in the game, and had a 1st and goal inside the 5 yard line. They took a knee.

In Super Bowl XXII, they led 35-10 at halftime, and called off the dogs. Could've won by 50.

I guarantee there are tons of examples of this. Anybody got others?

Against Pittsburgh in '91, the Skins were up 34-14 late in the game. Gibbs had the 2nd teamers in with Jeff Rutledge at QB who was the 3rd stringer and holder. And when trying to convert a 3rd down Rutledge threw a pass that broke for a touchdown, Gibbs being the classy guy that he is apologized to Chuck Noll for scoring so late.

If I remember correctly, we also caught a lot of teams with key injuries. On top of being good

Yup. Barry Sanders didn't play in the 45-0 win

The 34-0 win was because the Cards really sucked

The 23-0 win was over the Cunninghamless Eagles (he was out for the season in week 1 in 1991)

42-17, Bellicheat hadn't started to cheat yet and the Browns sucked

56-17, the Falcons disrespected the team all week, no surprise there

41-14 over the Stillers, they sucked that year

41-10 against Detroit in the NFC title game, the dogs were definitley called off when it was 34-10 but Andre Ware threw a pass right to Darell Green and he took it to the house

Hell, the team was up 37-10 in the Superbowl but Gibbs ran out the clock

One thing about the Superbowl though was we were up 24-0, the Bills made it 24-10, then came the 3rd down touchdown pass to Gary Clark from 31 yards out. I am not sure if Gibbs makes a call like that, going deep on 3rd and 10 when up by 14 late in the 3rd quarter

If I remember correctly, we also caught a lot of teams with key injuries. On top of being good

Yup. Barry Sanders didn't play in the 45-0 win

The 34-0 win was because the Cards really sucked

The 23-0 win was over the Cunninghamless Eagles (he was out for the season in week 1 in 1991)

42-17, Bellicheat hadn't started to cheat yet and the Browns sucked

56-17, the Falcons disrespected the team all week, no surprise there

41-14 over the Stillers, they sucked that year

41-10 against Detroit in the NFC title game, the dogs were definitley called off when it was 34-10 but Andre Ware threw a pass right to Darell Green and he took it to the house

Hell, the team was up 37-10 in the Superbowl but Gibbs ran out the clock

One thing about the Superbowl though was we were up 24-0, the Bills made it 24-10, then came the 3rd down touchdown pass to Gary Clark from 31 yards out. I am not sure if Gibbs makes a call like that, going deep on 3rd and 10 when up by 14 late in the 3rd quarter

I have no problem with a team with a 45-0 lead running it the gut. If you cant stop it then you deserve what you get but 50 yard bobs when you are up 45 that is classless

**** Belicheck

So lets take the 91 team which was heavy into running so if we ran and scored a Touchdown late because that is what we do then its ok but a team that passes the ball should quit doing what they do best and run the football?

I have no problem with a team with a 45-0 lead running it the gut. If you cant stop it then you deserve what you get but 50 yard bobs when you are up 45 that is classless

**** Belicheck

So lets take the 91 team which was heavy into running so if we ran and scored a Touchdown late because that is what we do then its ok but a team that passes the ball should quit doing what they do best and run the football?

Yeah, but did we go for it on 4th down when up 38 and 45 both leading to touchdowns. That will be the difference. If a team could just never stop you on 2nd down, thats one thing. But once getting to 4th down.. you go for it just because you want to score more points.. that is running up the score.

If we stop them on fourth down it is a moot point

Yeah, but did we go for it on 4th down when up 38 and 45 both leading to touchdowns. That will be the difference. If a team could just never stop you on 2nd down, thats one thing. But once getting to 4th down.. you go for it just because you want to score more points.. that is running up the score.

If we stop them on fourth down it is a moot point

"I've been coaching too long," Belichick said. "I remember being on that side. When I was coaching defense it was my job to keep the score down, not theirs. When you're playing defense it's your job to stop them. It's not (the offense's) job to not score. It's like I tell the offense, what the (bleep) do you think I send you guys out there for? To punt? We have a punt team for that. That's not your job. Your job is to go out there and score points. If you come off the field and you haven't scored points you haven't done your job."

:thumbsup: Good enough for me!

maybe gibbs needs to take notes. the nfl is a copycat league. :laugh:

"I've been coaching too long," Belichick said. "I remember being on that side. When I was coaching defense it was my job to keep the score down, not theirs. When you're playing defense it's your job to stop them. It's not (the offense's) job to not score. It's like I tell the offense, what the (bleep) do you think I send you guys out there for? To punt? We have a punt team for that. That's not your job. Your job is to go out there and score points. If you come off the field and you haven't scored points you haven't done your job."

:thumbsup: Good enough for me!

maybe gibbs needs to take notes. the nfl is a copycat league. :laugh:

Bingo ;) :applause:

It's great to win big, it's real bad to humiliate. Bellycheat deserves no respect for this 4th down call and his cheating habits.

Bingo ;) :applause:

It's great to win big, it's real bad to humiliate. Bellycheat deserves no respect for this 4th down call and his cheating habits.

I think Gibbs has run up the score in the past.

The Cardinals game in 92, he had Cary Conklin throwing a touchdown pass late in the game to Art Monk when the score was already 34-3 and made the final score 41-3. Bugel was pissed off.

He had a 35-17 lead in the 4th quarter of the Falcons game in 1991 and had Mark Rypien continue to throw bombs to Clark (82yds) and Monk (64yds). Add a pick 6 and we end up with a 56-17 game.

Someone already mentioned the Jeff Rutledge TD throw to Ricky Sanders late in the Steelers game from 91, there is also the Eagles game from 91. The Skins were up 20-0 and there was very little time left and we kick a 27 yard fg to make the final score 23-0.

So Gibbs, apologizing after the game or not, has run up scores in the past including on his good buddy Joe Bugel. That's why he hasn't said one thing about what the Patriots did on Sunday.

I will say the difference is that with Gibbs (and most other teams) it's a once in a while thing. The Patriots seem to be doing it to everyone. Instead of getting all bent out of shape over it though, I'm actually sort of in awe that there is an NFL team so good and so much better than all other competition that it's capable of running up the score on every opponent it faces. That's the sort of thing that only used to happen in college ball when the powerhouse teams would schedule a string of patsies.

I think Gibbs has run up the score in the past.

The Cardinals game in 92, he had Cary Conklin throwing a touchdown pass late in the game to Art Monk when the score was already 34-3 and made the final score 41-3. Bugel was pissed off.

He had a 35-17 lead in the 4th quarter of the Falcons game in 1991 and had Mark Rypien continue to throw bombs to Clark (82yds) and Monk (64yds). Add a pick 6 and we end up with a 56-17 game.

Someone already mentioned the Jeff Rutledge TD throw to Ricky Sanders late in the Steelers game from 91, there is also the Eagles game from 91. The Skins were up 20-0 and there was very little time left and we kick a 27 yard fg to make the final score 23-0.

So Gibbs, apologizing after the game or not, has run up scores in the past including on his good buddy Joe Bugel. That's why he hasn't said one thing about what the Patriots did on Sunday.

I will say the difference is that with Gibbs (and most other teams) it's a once in a while thing. The Patriots seem to be doing it to everyone. Instead of getting all bent out of shape over it though, I'm actually sort of in awe that there is an NFL team so good and so much better than all other competition that it's capable of running up the score on every opponent it faces. That's the sort of thing that only used to happen in college ball when the powerhouse teams would schedule a string of patsies.

I agree, definitely, but that's not the topic.

Bottom line is, Belichick was being intentionally disrespectful and he'll get his. It's a shame he wasn't suspended for cheating (referring to the cameras).

Not only was he being disrespectful, but he rubbed it in the nose of a hall-of-fame coach. I'm sure one day that Belichek will be in the hall, but he has no business being mentioned in the same breat as Coach Gibbs.

I agree, definitely, but that's not the topic.

Bottom line is, Belichick was being intentionally disrespectful and he'll get his. It's a shame he wasn't suspended for cheating (referring to the cameras).

Not only was he being disrespectful, but he rubbed it in the nose of a hall-of-fame coach. I'm sure one day that Belichek will be in the hall, but he has no business being mentioned in the same breat as Coach Gibbs.

What do these numbers represent?

45-0, 34-0, 42-17, 56-17, 41-14, 41-10

These were scores of games for the 91 redskins. For those on this board screaiming that the pats were running up the score yesterday then I see you have forgotten about when we dominated teams.

I was at the first game and knew that team was special. It seemed we were just running it up on every team, in reality no one could stop us.

Yesterday the score was more lopsided because 1. we turned the ball over so much (and you can not do that with this pats team). 2. we played like a jv high school team.

If you think they ran up the score then you need to remember when we did the same.

This is the NFL these guys are paid to play football is is their fault for not being able to stop anyone. I would admit to running up the score in college or HS but not the pros.

I would think the majority of anger should be directed at the performance of our team not what the other team did.

I think there's a difference from the 1991 Redskins though. I would bet that if you looked at all of those games you'd see that the Redskins made it plainly obvious that they were trying to run out the clock in the end (ie-kneeling on the ball at the 5-yd line against the Lions...I remember thinking what a great sportsman our coach was when I was watching that game). The way I see it, if you're making a concentrated effort to run out the clock in a situation like that and they still can't stop you, that's on them. If you're up by 40 pts in the 4th quarter and you're throwing deep passes and going for it on 4th and 1 at the 7-yd line, that's a totally different story. One way or the other, the game's over, now we all need to concentrate on the Jets...

These were scores of games for the 91 redskins. For those on this board screaiming that the pats were running up the score yesterday then I see you have forgotten about when we dominated teams.

I was at the first game and knew that team was special. It seemed we were just running it up on every team, in reality no one could stop us.

Yesterday the score was more lopsided because 1. we turned the ball over so much (and you can not do that with this pats team). 2. we played like a jv high school team.

If you think they ran up the score then you need to remember when we did the same.

This is the NFL these guys are paid to play football is is their fault for not being able to stop anyone. I would admit to running up the score in college or HS but not the pros.

I would think the majority of anger should be directed at the performance of our team not what the other team did.

I think there's a difference from the 1991 Redskins though. I would bet that if you looked at all of those games you'd see that the Redskins made it plainly obvious that they were trying to run out the clock in the end (ie-kneeling on the ball at the 5-yd line against the Lions...I remember thinking what a great sportsman our coach was when I was watching that game). The way I see it, if you're making a concentrated effort to run out the clock in a situation like that and they still can't stop you, that's on them. If you're up by 40 pts in the 4th quarter and you're throwing deep passes and going for it on 4th and 1 at the 7-yd line, that's a totally different story. One way or the other, the game's over, now we all need to concentrate on the Jets...

Sorry but facts prove you the opposite :

When we beat the Rams 51-7 back in the 1983 playoffs we were leading 38-7 at halftime and scored just 2 FG in the 3rd and an interception return in the 4th.

Back in 2005 we didn't throw a single pass after the 3:30 mark in the 3rd, and Clinton Portis didn't get another carry. Link

Class act: Joe Gibbs

Belly-cheat sucks big time that's bottom line

Sorry but facts prove you the opposite :

When we beat the Rams 51-7 back in the 1983 playoffs we were leading 38-7 at halftime and scored just 2 FG in the 3rd and an interception return in the 4th.

Back in 2005 we didn't throw a single pass after the 3:30 mark in the 3rd, and Clinton Portis didn't get another carry. Link

Class act: Joe Gibbs

Belly-cheat sucks big time that's bottom line

There was one game after Bugel became HC of AZ. Redskins were playing the Cardinals. Redskins leading late in the 4th. Redskins opt for a FG.

Bugel complained after the game that Gibbs was running up the score. "It left a bad taste in my mouth.", he said.

The is a scrap of memory, no hard documentation at the moment.

Bugel vs Gibbs

1990:

31-0 L @ Redskins, week 1

38-10 L vs Redskins, week 4

1991:

34-0 L @ Redskins, week 3

20-14 L vs Redskins, week 15

1992:

27-24 W vs Redskins, week 5

41-3 L @ Redskins, week 13

1-5-0

188-54