Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Michael Turner Is Going to Be a Skin

method man

As much as I like Portis, he isn't worth what gave away. He may still be above average, but we can't keep excusing his poor stats away. If he isn't seriously injured by the end of this season Tashard Choice will be available- let's get him in the second round and then try to nab Calvin Johnson from the Lions (won't happen- he is waaaayy too good).

It's too bad we won't have a need for Philip Wheeler as a first rounder because that is where he will go.

As much as I like Portis, he isn't worth what gave away. He may still be above average, but we can't keep excusing his poor stats away. If he isn't seriously injured by the end of this season Tashard Choice will be available- let's get him in the second round and then try to nab Calvin Johnson from the Lions (won't happen- he is waaaayy too good).

It's too bad we won't have a need for Philip Wheeler as a first rounder because that is where he will go.

Most anylast agreed that Portis is done in DC. With the contract that Betts signed, it was almost assured that Portis will be cut or traded. He is just too banged up all the time. Unfortunately, the Redskins seem to have that effect on good players.

I loved the guy, but this is the NFL, and loyalty just doesn't put W's on the board.

Most anylast agreed that Portis is done in DC. With the contract that Betts signed, it was almost assured that Portis will be cut or traded. He is just too banged up all the time. Unfortunately, the Redskins seem to have that effect on good players.

I loved the guy, but this is the NFL, and loyalty just doesn't put W's on the board.

i dont understand how people cant notice the effect of injured lineman causing the offense to struggle. Jansen and Thomas make the offense MUCH better instead of back ups Pucillo and Wade. These guys struggle and thats why they dont start, they cant run block or pass protecti for a full 60 minutes. If you cant come to grips with this fact than whats the point of being a redskins fan if you cant evaluate your teams missing talent? :whoknows: the hogs huh, whatever happen to redskins football

i dont understand how people cant notice the effect of injured lineman causing the offense to struggle. Jansen and Thomas make the offense MUCH better instead of back ups Pucillo and Wade. These guys struggle and thats why they dont start, they cant run block or pass protecti for a full 60 minutes. If you cant come to grips with this fact than whats the point of being a redskins fan if you cant evaluate your teams missing talent? :whoknows: the hogs huh, whatever happen to redskins football

As everyone has said, O-line injuries have had a huge effect on the offense. Portis has had a rough stretch, but he avg. over 4 yards per carry this year before the Green Bay game (wet field, limited blocking with GB LBs always in backfield). Arizona completely stacked the line and had Adrian Wilson blitzing a few times. Patriots of course have plenty of talent and experience on their defense. Once we get guys more healthy and in rhythm Portis will play better and his numbers will go up.

Career backups don't always turn out that great. Portis has proved to be a playmaker and gamechanger. He still has moves and power, but he needs help from his line, just like any runner in the NFL.

As everyone has said, O-line injuries have had a huge effect on the offense. Portis has had a rough stretch, but he avg. over 4 yards per carry this year before the Green Bay game (wet field, limited blocking with GB LBs always in backfield). Arizona completely stacked the line and had Adrian Wilson blitzing a few times. Patriots of course have plenty of talent and experience on their defense. Once we get guys more healthy and in rhythm Portis will play better and his numbers will go up.

Career backups don't always turn out that great. Portis has proved to be a playmaker and gamechanger. He still has moves and power, but he needs help from his line, just like any runner in the NFL.

How much more "conviction" was Betts running with? If there was another guy doing ANY better then Portis with this offensive line there might be a case to be made here but Portis is not the problem, injuries are.

Actually, Betts was getting 6 or 7 yards on the fe carries he got. It seems Portis tries to dance around instead of putting his shoulder down and earning some yards.

Just today, Betts was contacted by a defender one or two yards deep and he pushed the pile and kept driving for 6 or 7.

Portis is great, but he's injured. He should warm the bench 'til he's healthy.

How much more "conviction" was Betts running with? If there was another guy doing ANY better then Portis with this offensive line there might be a case to be made here but Portis is not the problem, injuries are.

Actually, Betts was getting 6 or 7 yards on the fe carries he got. It seems Portis tries to dance around instead of putting his shoulder down and earning some yards.

Just today, Betts was contacted by a defender one or two yards deep and he pushed the pile and kept driving for 6 or 7.

Portis is great, but he's injured. He should warm the bench 'til he's healthy.

I still do, what did he do today that was his fault. I wasnt too high on him catching that ball out of bounce, but i chalk that up to lack of focus when you are getting your ass handed to you. What do you expect him to break the tackles of 3 guys smothering him as soon as he hits the line or sometimes even in the backfield.

LOL. I think you are the same person I was discussing Portis with in the other Portis v. Westbrook thread.

Anyway, I agree with you...he didn't do anything today. That was sort of my point. He's, by far, the Redskins biggest star on offense and I don't think he is a game-changer or a lynchpin for that offense by any means. He is just an above ordinary back who has been coddled by the Washington faithful.

I understand the line is hurt. I understand Portis is hurt. But he's been here four years and there is always an excuse as to why he has NEVER been as good for us as he was in Denver.

I still do, what did he do today that was his fault. I wasnt too high on him catching that ball out of bounce, but i chalk that up to lack of focus when you are getting your ass handed to you. What do you expect him to break the tackles of 3 guys smothering him as soon as he hits the line or sometimes even in the backfield.

LOL. I think you are the same person I was discussing Portis with in the other Portis v. Westbrook thread.

Anyway, I agree with you...he didn't do anything today. That was sort of my point. He's, by far, the Redskins biggest star on offense and I don't think he is a game-changer or a lynchpin for that offense by any means. He is just an above ordinary back who has been coddled by the Washington faithful.

I understand the line is hurt. I understand Portis is hurt. But he's been here four years and there is always an excuse as to why he has NEVER been as good for us as he was in Denver.

If a running back is ONLY as good as his OL, then that running back isn't very good.

Personally.. i think it's a running back is only as good as his Quarterback.

When a quarterback is able to provide a great passing threat and spread the defense, then that opens a lot of holes in the running game.

For example.. I don't think Joseph Addai is really all that good, if he were in Carolina right now with a back up QB. He would probably suck big time.

But with Manning being the threat he is, it opens teh game for him.

That's why I think Frank Gore is probably one of the best RB's in the game right now.

All that said though.. I do think Portis is done. He just doesn't have the burst of speed or ability to break tackles that he used too.

Archived