Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's time to rebuild

GrimReefa

Everybody hates the "R" word, and rightly so, especially in Washington, where nobody has won in so long. But a smart rebuilding job can be completed in a relatively short time period in today's NFL. The Patriots were 5-11 the year before they won their first Super Bowl. In 1998 the Indianapolis Colts were 3-13, the next year, they went 13-3 and haven't looked back since.

But, in order for that to happen, the team has to embrace a smart rebuilding project. It means stop plugging holes with salary-cap eating veterans. It means letting players go if they can't stay on the field (Jon Jansen, Clinton Portis, Shawn Springs, Carlos Rogers, and Santana Moss, I'm looking at you). It means making a sincere effort to get younger, faster, and healthier in all three facets. We've got Campbell, Taylor, and Landry - everyone else needs to be phased out over the course of the next few seasons. We need to use day one draft picks to rebuild first the lines, then the skill positions. And we need a real general manager to oversee it all.

Calm down, it's only a loss, right?

No, it's more than just a loss. This wasn't some flukey game where a break or two and things turn out differently. This was a complete and utter dominating performance by a superior team. Yeah, sure we can imporve, and I'm still confident that this team, as presently constructed, can snatch a wild-card spot and maybe even win a game over the winners of the NFC South or West.

But that's not what we want. What we want is what the Patriots and Colts have. But the those teams didn't get that way by accident. They are the result of a long-established plan that took some time to develop. That's how you win in this league.

And what I'm saying about the Redskins - about 29 other teams need to be thinking along the exact same terms. But so many of those teams are satisfied with just being good enough - the Redskins can not fall into that trap.

Everybody hates the "R" word, and rightly so, especially in Washington, where nobody has won in so long. But a smart rebuilding job can be completed in a relatively short time period in today's NFL. The Patriots were 5-11 the year before they won their first Super Bowl. In 1998 the Indianapolis Colts were 3-13, the next year, they went 13-3 and haven't looked back since.

But, in order for that to happen, the team has to embrace a smart rebuilding project. It means stop plugging holes with salary-cap eating veterans. It means letting players go if they can't stay on the field (Jon Jansen, Clinton Portis, Shawn Springs, Carlos Rogers, and Santana Moss, I'm looking at you). It means making a sincere effort to get younger, faster, and healthier in all three facets. We've got Campbell, Taylor, and Landry - everyone else needs to be phased out over the course of the next few seasons. We need to use day one draft picks to rebuild first the lines, then the skill positions. And we need a real general manager to oversee it all.

Calm down, it's only a loss, right?

No, it's more than just a loss. This wasn't some flukey game where a break or two and things turn out differently. This was a complete and utter dominating performance by a superior team. Yeah, sure we can imporve, and I'm still confident that this team, as presently constructed, can snatch a wild-card spot and maybe even win a game over the winners of the NFC South or West.

But that's not what we want. What we want is what the Patriots and Colts have. But the those teams didn't get that way by accident. They are the result of a long-established plan that took some time to develop. That's how you win in this league.

And what I'm saying about the Redskins - about 29 other teams need to be thinking along the exact same terms. But so many of those teams are satisfied with just being good enough - the Redskins can not fall into that trap.

I agree. The geriatric coaching staff needs to go. The Portis experiment is a bust. The receivers are marginal. The o line can never stay healthy. The defensive line is adequate but without a stud rusher. We can rebuild the team around JC.

I agree. The geriatric coaching staff needs to go. The Portis experiment is a bust. The receivers are marginal. The o line can never stay healthy. The defensive line is adequate but without a stud rusher. We can rebuild the team around JC.

get rid of Gibbs and rest of his hand picked coaches. Just getting rid of Gibbs is fine with me. the guy just sucks. what a loser. Cant even manage clock and timeouts. what is this world coming to? its mind boggling how this coaching staff is highest paid in the league when Pats coaching staff are just making them look like little league coaching staff.

Gibbs, please get lost. go back to nascar. do something. just get ouf of DC. have a glass of milk.

get rid of Gibbs and rest of his hand picked coaches. Just getting rid of Gibbs is fine with me. the guy just sucks. what a loser. Cant even manage clock and timeouts. what is this world coming to? its mind boggling how this coaching staff is highest paid in the league when Pats coaching staff are just making them look like little league coaching staff.

Gibbs, please get lost. go back to nascar. do something. just get ouf of DC. have a glass of milk.

the team needs to draft QB until we find one. Doesn't matter what round because Brady was a low round pick but the Skins need to draft a QB every single year until they find a brady or someone who can complete 60 percent of his passes. In fact, just find college QB's who complete over sixty percent and then draft them. But QB is and has been this teams achilles heel for 16 years.

the team needs to draft QB until we find one. Doesn't matter what round because Brady was a low round pick but the Skins need to draft a QB every single year until they find a brady or someone who can complete 60 percent of his passes. In fact, just find college QB's who complete over sixty percent and then draft them. But QB is and has been this teams achilles heel for 16 years.

You're an idiot to suggest rebuilding.

Is that really it? That's your contribution right now?

Let me ask you something - what is it that you want?

If you're fine with being a 8-10 win team every year, going to the playoffs and snagging a postseason win once every now and again, then yes, rebuiling isn't a good idea, because that's exactly the kind of team we have right now.

But if you want a championship-caliber franchise, one that hosts 2nd round playoff games, not travels to them, you have to be willing to start over. This team, I honestly believe, even after today, has the most important and hardest piece to come by - a confident, poised young quarterback. But we aren't going to get anywhere unless he is playing behind a line that can keep the pass rush from knocking the ball out of his hands every series. And the current offensive line we have is too old to last a season healthy. All of these season-ending injuries to Randy Thomas and Jon Jansen are not coincidences.

And yes, I'm starting to wonder if maybe the Redskins shouldn't be thinking about a head coach who knows that today's elite NFL teams are constantly on the attack, on offense and defense. Maybe somebody like Norm Chow.

Archived