Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's time to rebuild

GrimReefa

You're an idiot to suggest rebuilding.

Why is he an idiot to suggest rebuilding? This is what we have been getting form the last 4 years and I for one am about sick of it. Gibbs does his best telling his team how scared they should be of the Pats and then delivers the worst performance that I have seen in years.

We got OWNED in all phases of the game today, we have communication issues, and we are not progressing. Maybe some changes should be forthcoming as we are certainly not one of the better teams in the league. Gibbs is getting his ass handed to him and he looks to be lost in the press conferences, I am starting to question his ability to be an effective leader of this team.

Ummm, what?

We had 5 wins after 16 games last year. Right now after 7 games we're sitting at 4 wins already. I'd call that "progressing".

Last year we had a bottom ranked defense in both the NFL and the NFC. This year we have probably a top 10 NFL and easily top 5 NFC defense. I'd call that "progressing".

Our offense hasn't progressed much over last year, or has it? JC seems to have had better games the 7 so far this year than he did the 7 last year. Randel El has progressed much more than our #2 reciever last year. Our line is obliterated, so I'd call our running game a wash as far as progression. Cooley is right on line with how he's been. Moss however has regressed. So over all, I'd say the "O" is a wash at worst.

I agree, we need to go younger, and ditching some of the high priced guys for some picks would be great. But we're hardly "not progressing" as compared to the previous year.

We got beat by what is possibly one of the top 5 greatest teams of all-time...its not the end of the world.

You're an idiot to suggest rebuilding.

Why is he an idiot to suggest rebuilding? This is what we have been getting form the last 4 years and I for one am about sick of it. Gibbs does his best telling his team how scared they should be of the Pats and then delivers the worst performance that I have seen in years.

We got OWNED in all phases of the game today, we have communication issues, and we are not progressing. Maybe some changes should be forthcoming as we are certainly not one of the better teams in the league. Gibbs is getting his ass handed to him and he looks to be lost in the press conferences, I am starting to question his ability to be an effective leader of this team.

Ummm, what?

We had 5 wins after 16 games last year. Right now after 7 games we're sitting at 4 wins already. I'd call that "progressing".

Last year we had a bottom ranked defense in both the NFL and the NFC. This year we have probably a top 10 NFL and easily top 5 NFC defense. I'd call that "progressing".

Our offense hasn't progressed much over last year, or has it? JC seems to have had better games the 7 so far this year than he did the 7 last year. Randel El has progressed much more than our #2 reciever last year. Our line is obliterated, so I'd call our running game a wash as far as progression. Cooley is right on line with how he's been. Moss however has regressed. So over all, I'd say the "O" is a wash at worst.

I agree, we need to go younger, and ditching some of the high priced guys for some picks would be great. But we're hardly "not progressing" as compared to the previous year.

We got beat by what is possibly one of the top 5 greatest teams of all-time...its not the end of the world.

I do think we need to rebuild are Coaching staff.. Were to soft of a team I think.. We need to rebuild with new generation coaches.. Coaches in any area of are team that are willing to try new things.. Open things up.. We have to much depth not to release the fire power.. Skins coaches stop holding players back let them explode and do what they are capable of doing.. wHY HOLD BACK THERE TALENT.

JUST MY :2cents:

I do think we need to rebuild are Coaching staff.. Were to soft of a team I think.. We need to rebuild with new generation coaches.. Coaches in any area of are team that are willing to try new things.. Open things up.. We have to much depth not to release the fire power.. Skins coaches stop holding players back let them explode and do what they are capable of doing.. wHY HOLD BACK THERE TALENT.

JUST MY :2cents:

Ummm, what?

Leave last year aside - is this team significantly better than the '05 team?

I say, no. They are older, and less healthy. We'll be lucky, honestly, to make the playoffs this season. And what reason is there to think that they will be better next year, with all of the older players getting older? This team isn't a player or two away. They are a roster away. But if they realize that now and get started rebuilding straightaway, they will have a big head start over the rest of the division.

Ummm, what?

I say, no. They are older, and less healthy. We'll be lucky, honestly, to make the playoffs this season. And what reason is there to think that they will be better next year, with all of the older players getting older? This team isn't a player or two away. They are a roster away. But if they realize that now and get started rebuilding straightaway, they will have a big head start over the rest of the division.

I actually agree, this team has problems that any coach in Wash would be unsuccessful.

Gibbs needs to go, but IT IS NOT HIS FAULT. There are severe problems with this which come right from the owner. But we need a coach that is going to be here for the next 10 years or more.

Overpaid players, and players that cant seem to remain healthy.

Lloyd, Portis, Daniels, Griffin, and Jansen all need to go. Portis stay? He shows not burst or ability to cut and make defenders miss. He cant stay healthy, its not a coincidence, it is a trend

ARE needs to do something about his contract. Great slot receiver, but number 2, no thank you.

We dont need both Taylor and Landry, too much money invested in both when the skins need to address so many other positions.

We still need a dominant DE.

We need a receiver over 4 feet.

We need greater depth at CB

I actually agree, this team has problems that any coach in Wash would be unsuccessful.

Gibbs needs to go, but IT IS NOT HIS FAULT. There are severe problems with this which come right from the owner. But we need a coach that is going to be here for the next 10 years or more.

Overpaid players, and players that cant seem to remain healthy.

Lloyd, Portis, Daniels, Griffin, and Jansen all need to go. Portis stay? He shows not burst or ability to cut and make defenders miss. He cant stay healthy, its not a coincidence, it is a trend

ARE needs to do something about his contract. Great slot receiver, but number 2, no thank you.

We dont need both Taylor and Landry, too much money invested in both when the skins need to address so many other positions.

We still need a dominant DE.

We need a receiver over 4 feet.

We need greater depth at CB

I think we are fairly well covered defensively, we just need to maintain that. However, we need to look at a new O-line (more important than having a top-notch QB) and a new set of WR's. Portis should go, maybe a trade would be a good idea. We should look for a good running back or wide receiver for the first round this draft and then rebuild the offensive line. Campbell needs to work with the defense and perfect some longer plays. Little plays aren't much help on 3rd and long situations, this is where we lose.

JC would have not fumbled so much if the O line could give him some more time.

If we get a wide receiver, a tall one is a must. Just like Randy Moss :( and Calvin Johnson :), having someone who can win a jump ball is crucial when you aren't working with the most accurate QB's.

I think we are fairly well covered defensively, we just need to maintain that. However, we need to look at a new O-line (more important than having a top-notch QB) and a new set of WR's. Portis should go, maybe a trade would be a good idea. We should look for a good running back or wide receiver for the first round this draft and then rebuild the offensive line. Campbell needs to work with the defense and perfect some longer plays. Little plays aren't much help on 3rd and long situations, this is where we lose.

JC would have not fumbled so much if the O line could give him some more time.

If we get a wide receiver, a tall one is a must. Just like Randy Moss :( and Calvin Johnson :), having someone who can win a jump ball is crucial when you aren't working with the most accurate QB's.

Everybody hates the "R" word, and rightly so, especially in Washington, where nobody has won in so long. But a smart rebuilding job can be completed in a relatively short time period in today's NFL. The Patriots were 5-11 the year before they won their first Super Bowl. In 1998 the Indianapolis Colts were 3-13, the next year, they went 13-3 and haven't looked back since.

But, in order for that to happen, the team has to embrace a smart rebuilding project. It means stop plugging holes with salary-cap eating veterans. It means letting players go if they can't stay on the field (Jon Jansen, Clinton Portis, Shawn Springs, Carlos Rogers, and Santana Moss, I'm looking at you). It means making a sincere effort to get younger, faster, and healthier in all three facets. We've got Campbell, Taylor, and Landry - everyone else needs to be phased out over the course of the next few seasons. We need to use day one draft picks to rebuild first the lines, then the skill positions. And we need a real general manager to oversee it all.

Calm down, it's only a loss, right?

No, it's more than just a loss. This wasn't some flukey game where a break or two and things turn out differently. This was a complete and utter dominating performance by a superior team. Yeah, sure we can imporve, and I'm still confident that this team, as presently constructed, can snatch a wild-card spot and maybe even win a game over the winners of the NFC South or West.

But that's not what we want. What we want is what the Patriots and Colts have. But the those teams didn't get that way by accident. They are the result of a long-established plan that took some time to develop. That's how you win in this league.

And what I'm saying about the Redskins - about 29 other teams need to be thinking along the exact same terms. But so many of those teams are satisfied with just being good enough - the Redskins can not fall into that trap.

Your an idiot. The pats are literally the best team ever. They killed us at THEIR HOUSE. we are extremely banged up, no offense can do well without an O line. I agree we need new D linemen, new recievers, and some O lineman to groom. but a total overhaul? the LBS? the CBs?

Everybody hates the "R" word, and rightly so, especially in Washington, where nobody has won in so long. But a smart rebuilding job can be completed in a relatively short time period in today's NFL. The Patriots were 5-11 the year before they won their first Super Bowl. In 1998 the Indianapolis Colts were 3-13, the next year, they went 13-3 and haven't looked back since.

But, in order for that to happen, the team has to embrace a smart rebuilding project. It means stop plugging holes with salary-cap eating veterans. It means letting players go if they can't stay on the field (Jon Jansen, Clinton Portis, Shawn Springs, Carlos Rogers, and Santana Moss, I'm looking at you). It means making a sincere effort to get younger, faster, and healthier in all three facets. We've got Campbell, Taylor, and Landry - everyone else needs to be phased out over the course of the next few seasons. We need to use day one draft picks to rebuild first the lines, then the skill positions. And we need a real general manager to oversee it all.

Calm down, it's only a loss, right?

No, it's more than just a loss. This wasn't some flukey game where a break or two and things turn out differently. This was a complete and utter dominating performance by a superior team. Yeah, sure we can imporve, and I'm still confident that this team, as presently constructed, can snatch a wild-card spot and maybe even win a game over the winners of the NFC South or West.

But that's not what we want. What we want is what the Patriots and Colts have. But the those teams didn't get that way by accident. They are the result of a long-established plan that took some time to develop. That's how you win in this league.

And what I'm saying about the Redskins - about 29 other teams need to be thinking along the exact same terms. But so many of those teams are satisfied with just being good enough - the Redskins can not fall into that trap.

Your an idiot. The pats are literally the best team ever. They killed us at THEIR HOUSE. we are extremely banged up, no offense can do well without an O line. I agree we need new D linemen, new recievers, and some O lineman to groom. but a total overhaul? the LBS? the CBs?

You're joking right?

Lets throw the past 16 years out! Is this team REALLY significantly better than the '91 team?

You don't get to pick and choose years. Last year happened. If you want to point at a lack of progression, point to last year as compared to the year before. You can try to pull the "we were devestated by injuries in '06 so it doesn't count", but you could say the same this year...yet we're better.

As far as how we're better than 05 and progressing?

Sean Taylor has matured greatly as a player, he has not been costing us huge on stupid young immature penalties any longer.

LaRon Landry is an improvement in the secondary, young, and going to be helping us for a good long while.

Cooley is continuing to get poise and produce, and we just got him signed to a nice long deal so no worries of him leaving on us.

We have a very good young Linebacker in Rocky, and one with a ton of potential in H.B. Blades, along with a veteran that is most definetely durable and not showing signs of slowing down in Fletcher who can mentor them.

We've got two solid defensive linemen that are young that are continuing to improve.

We have a young man that's a rookie on the o-line that had to fill in against the defensive player of the year last year in a position he didn't even play since high school and did well...and has done well when he's been in since.

We have a young quarterback that is steadily improving, that hte team does seem to trust in, is healthier than our QB in '05, and has a much bigger upside than our '05 QB.

Randel El is hardly an "old" guy, and has improved greatly from 06 and is much better than the #2 option of 2005.

BUT

Once again, you can't just "throw out" a year. It was there, it was happened, and you have to build from that not from 2 years prior.

You're joking right?

Lets throw the past 16 years out! Is this team REALLY significantly better than the '91 team?

You don't get to pick and choose years. Last year happened. If you want to point at a lack of progression, point to last year as compared to the year before. You can try to pull the "we were devestated by injuries in '06 so it doesn't count", but you could say the same this year...yet we're better.

As far as how we're better than 05 and progressing?

Sean Taylor has matured greatly as a player, he has not been costing us huge on stupid young immature penalties any longer.

LaRon Landry is an improvement in the secondary, young, and going to be helping us for a good long while.

Cooley is continuing to get poise and produce, and we just got him signed to a nice long deal so no worries of him leaving on us.

We have a very good young Linebacker in Rocky, and one with a ton of potential in H.B. Blades, along with a veteran that is most definetely durable and not showing signs of slowing down in Fletcher who can mentor them.

We've got two solid defensive linemen that are young that are continuing to improve.

We have a young man that's a rookie on the o-line that had to fill in against the defensive player of the year last year in a position he didn't even play since high school and did well...and has done well when he's been in since.

We have a young quarterback that is steadily improving, that hte team does seem to trust in, is healthier than our QB in '05, and has a much bigger upside than our '05 QB.

Randel El is hardly an "old" guy, and has improved greatly from 06 and is much better than the #2 option of 2005.

BUT

Once again, you can't just "throw out" a year. It was there, it was happened, and you have to build from that not from 2 years prior.

We are one of the top revenue teams in all of sports. I don't care what sport you look at, the top revenue teams, who can afford the best coaches and who can spend up to the limits of what the league will allow, should more often than not be some of the best teams.

We aren't even close. And flirting around the edges of the playoffs at 8-9 wins in a good year and 5-6 wins in a bad year is NOT going to ever get us there.

we are actually limited in the amount we spend due to othe salery cap issues

We are one of the top revenue teams in all of sports. I don't care what sport you look at, the top revenue teams, who can afford the best coaches and who can spend up to the limits of what the league will allow, should more often than not be some of the best teams.

We aren't even close. And flirting around the edges of the playoffs at 8-9 wins in a good year and 5-6 wins in a bad year is NOT going to ever get us there.

Many teams don't have the revenue to support spending at the cap level year after year. We do. I don't have the figures in front of me right now, but I think our total salary and bonus spend over the 4 Gibbs 2.0 years has been near the top of the league. Not many staffs can say they got to spend 8 figure guarantees on 3 different receivers in 3 years.

And then have the highest paid safety in the league in one year and then exceed that the next year with the new highest paid safety in the league.

Not the mention the big contracts handed out to Brunell, Springs, London, etc., etc. This staff has had PLENTY of money to throw around since 2004. It's just that most of it was wasted.

And we have no salary cap at all on coaches. And I'm sure we have near the highest coaching payroll in all of sports. We have no excuse for that not being one of the best coaching staffs in all of sports.

Many teams don't have the revenue to support spending at the cap level year after year. We do. I don't have the figures in front of me right now, but I think our total salary and bonus spend over the 4 Gibbs 2.0 years has been near the top of the league. Not many staffs can say they got to spend 8 figure guarantees on 3 different receivers in 3 years.

And then have the highest paid safety in the league in one year and then exceed that the next year with the new highest paid safety in the league.

Not the mention the big contracts handed out to Brunell, Springs, London, etc., etc. This staff has had PLENTY of money to throw around since 2004. It's just that most of it was wasted.

And we have no salary cap at all on coaches. And I'm sure we have near the highest coaching payroll in all of sports. We have no excuse for that not being one of the best coaching staffs in all of sports.

Archived