Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could an early Pats lead, be what our O needs?

BALLz

We've all complained about the "playing not to lose" attitude this team, or maybe just the coaches have shown so far this season. Seems that every week we just shut down the O at half time and pray the Defense can hang on. But if we are not in the lead at half time Gibbs and co will be forced to open up the offense. I fear this will be the only way Gibbs will take the leash off of Campbell and this offense. And if the O can show the ability to move the ball effectively, even if it's in a losing effort, it may finally give Gibbs the confidence to keep the play book open. The way I see it, This team has no chance off competing for a super bowl with this ultra conservitive game plan. And if you not competing for a superbowl, whats the point of playing.

I think Gibbs knows that he will have to be aggressive in this game. I believe this game will be JC's defining game if he can get protection. Hopefully, Joe Gibbs will replay our 1991 Cowboys @ Redskins and see how Jimmy Johnson went for it on most 4th downs, onside kicks, etc. to beat an undefeated Redskin team. We need a real aggressive game plan which would shock the Patriots! A basic principal of war: The element of surprise!

The coaches will play conservative as usual and probably lose the ball game for us. The coaching staff has failed to grasp what it takes in the modern day NFL to win. I feel bad for A.Saunders because Joe is probably keeping him from turning the offense into a high powered unit that won't need to defense to win us every game.

A head coach with a set of balls, who doesn't approach the game like a scared old man, is what our O needs.

What a pitiful post. . .our coach is such a knucklehead, people contemplate the other team getting a lead as good, as it is the only way they believe we will actually call an aggressive game offensively.

What a sad commentary on just how much the game has passed Gibbs by.

Also, let me retort with logic. To win, we have to take the lead at some point. But we know once we take the lead, its run, run, pass, or dink, dink, pass. . .so based on your logic, our only way to ever win is have the other team ahead until we score on the last series. . .a bit of an overstatement, but also not absurd to anyone who watched Miami, Giants, Cards, etc. games. . .

A new head coach is what our O needs, and the great tragedy is that we'll never know how good this O could have been if Gibbs hadn't reverted to his outdated, conservative approach last year when the offense had problems, rather than trusting Al and sticking with his proven system.

We're paying our offensive coordinator more than many head coaches. . .so that our head coach can limit his playcalling, and force him make calls any hack college OC would groan at. . .Brilliant. . .absolutely brilliant. . .

Everyone seems to think that "opening up" the offense will have no consequences, even against the best team in football. Just a lot more yards, but no sacks or interceptions. It doesn't work that way. The Skins won last week because of turnovers from an open Cards offense, not anything the Skins' offense did. They've kept the turnovers manageable in every game and allowed the strength of the team, the defense, to win games. Boring and frustrating, but its working.

The Pats defense is like quicksand - the more you flail about, the deeper you sink. They'd love to see Cooley come out in pass patterns so that they can rough up JC. I think JG will run the usual plan - play conservatively on offense and pray that the defense can steal something.

The coaches will play conservative as usual and probably lose the ball game for us. The coaching staff has failed to grasp what it takes in the modern day NFL to win. I feel bad for A.Saunders because Joe is probably keeping him from turning the offense into a high powered unit that won't need to defense to win us every game.

They must be grasping something, because they're 4-2 with the worst OL in football, a very inexperienced QB, and mediocre receivers at best.

Everyone seems to think that "opening up" the offense will have no consequences, even against the best team in football. Just a lot more yards, but no sacks or interceptions. It doesn't work that way. The Skins won last week because of turnovers from an open Cards offense, not anything the Skins' offense did. They've kept the turnovers manageable in every game and allowed the strength of the team, the defense, to win games. Boring and frustrating, but its working.

The Pats defense is like quicksand - the more you flail about, the deeper you sink. They'd love to see Cooley come out in pass patterns so that they can rough up JC. I think JG will run the usual plan - play conservatively on offense and pray that the defense can steal something.

Speak the truth! Truthteller speak the Truth!

Couldn't agree more. Alot of people feel that opening our offense solves problems. I understand your pain trust me i watch the same game you guys watch every week, but bottom line is we have a patchwork offensive line that is very medicore to border line bad right now. How would opening up the offense with mulitple wide reciever sets or 7 step drops every other play work? If you cant get the protection what does it matter if you open things up.

If this team had a healthy o line at this point of the season, and we werent opening it up then i would of a problem with that. But, certainly right now we dont have the horses on the OL just to spread them out, and open them up. We have to pick, and choose when we take our shoots downfield and pick them wisley.

Skins have no problems scoring early this year.. games are always close in the second half because old man gibbs wants to run twice (first run is a loss, second run gets us back to the line or a yard or two past it- due to a depleted o-line and a tired rb - what happened to 50/50? ) followed by a third down throw (resulting in 0-5 yards).

Honestly - look at the plays. That is our second half in almost every game, especially those with a lead going into halftime. Gibbs can't rely on the defense in the second half, and when he's allowing all these quick 3 play drives, the defense gets worn out, and allows touchdowns.

Throw the ball on first or second down. Go deep now and then. Our WRs still have no touchdowns. They have been dropping the long ones.. but they haven't been allowing interceptions - why run the ball when you know it's going to result in a loss or no gain? The NE defense isn't that good. Remember, that miami game ended 49-28. 28 from a depleted and broken down winless Miami.

Some of the play calls this coaching team makes on offense really piss me off. A+ to the defense though, when they aren't getting screwed by the offense.

Speak the truth! Truthteller speak the Truth!

Couldn't agree more. Alot of people feel that opening our offense solves problems. I understand your pain trust me i watch the same game you guys watch every week, but bottom line is we have a patchwork offensive line that is very medicore to border line bad right now. How would opening up the offense with mulitple wide reciever sets or 7 step drops every other play work? If you cant get the protection what does it matter if you open things up.

If this team had a healthy o line at this point of the season, and we werent opening it up then i would of a problem with that. But, certainly right now we dont have the horses on the OL just to spread them out, and open them up. We have to pick, and choose when we take our shoots downfield and pick them wisley.

I'm not saying doing this will solve any problems, I'm just saying at least we might have a better understanding of what we are capable of. I'd rather chalk up a bad outing to playing a good defense than to coaches not giving the offense a chance.

Archived