Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No Spin Zone! N5 explodes on the Eagles!

Number5

It sucks to admit that the only coach the city has any true affinity to is a guy who never won a playoff game. Things like that tend to alienate me from the Eagle fan base at times. They say all they care about is winning, but that isn't really true, or else no one would mention Buddy Ryan anymore. They care about perpetuating their own imbecellic image first, and only next do theycare about winning. It's unfortunate.

On the whole, though, I agree with you. The problems on this team right now are the direct result of all the personell decisions that everyone has questioned and which have been answered by requests of trust from the front office. They wanted us to trust that Considine would improve as a second-year starter, and that he was a good draft pick to begin with despite his small stature. They wanted us to trust that they had the luxury of drafting a project QB even while an expiring contract from our starting TE stared them in the face and the best TE in the draft did the same. They wanted us to trust, and I won't even specify player names since the issue hasn't changed since 1999, that WRs are complimentary by nature and that major investments in the position are unecessary. They routinely insist that reserves are as capable as the guy in front of them, which is absurd in its very nature, and thus allow guys like Will James to replace guys like Rod Hood.

This management team has had a philosophy and a system since day 1 and they've stuck to that philosophy and system. I've never paid any serious consideration to the notion that they're simply cheap, nor do I now. I will say that their system is fundamentally flawed in that it expects inexperienced draft picks to seemlessly replace accomplished veterans. It is an attempt to cover-up short rebuilding periods with periods of extended mediocrity. That's what we're seeing right now. Rather than transitioning from the Rhodes-era defensive guys and a true WCO, which we had from 2000-2004, to a wholesale subsitution of new talent, they've instead allowed talent to walk away incrementally. It's an ineffective concept for too many reasons than I'm willing to state at this point, but I'm sick of watching it. I just want to see an outright attempt to win football games in some tangible time and place, namely RIGHT NOW. Perhaps I'm being short-sighted, but I'd rather be short-sighted than accept the reality of indefinite rebuilding mode.

It sucks to admit that the only coach the city has any true affinity to is a guy who never won a playoff game. Things like that tend to alienate me from the Eagle fan base at times. They say all they care about is winning, but that isn't really true, or else no one would mention Buddy Ryan anymore. They care about perpetuating their own imbecellic image first, and only next do theycare about winning. It's unfortunate.

On the whole, though, I agree with you. The problems on this team right now are the direct result of all the personell decisions that everyone has questioned and which have been answered by requests of trust from the front office. They wanted us to trust that Considine would improve as a second-year starter, and that he was a good draft pick to begin with despite his small stature. They wanted us to trust that they had the luxury of drafting a project QB even while an expiring contract from our starting TE stared them in the face and the best TE in the draft did the same. They wanted us to trust, and I won't even specify player names since the issue hasn't changed since 1999, that WRs are complimentary by nature and that major investments in the position are unecessary. They routinely insist that reserves are as capable as the guy in front of them, which is absurd in its very nature, and thus allow guys like Will James to replace guys like Rod Hood.

This management team has had a philosophy and a system since day 1 and they've stuck to that philosophy and system. I've never paid any serious consideration to the notion that they're simply cheap, nor do I now. I will say that their system is fundamentally flawed in that it expects inexperienced draft picks to seemlessly replace accomplished veterans. It is an attempt to cover-up short rebuilding periods with periods of extended mediocrity. That's what we're seeing right now. Rather than transitioning from the Rhodes-era defensive guys and a true WCO, which we had from 2000-2004, to a wholesale subsitution of new talent, they've instead allowed talent to walk away incrementally. It's an ineffective concept for too many reasons than I'm willing to state at this point, but I'm sick of watching it. I just want to see an outright attempt to win football games in some tangible time and place, namely RIGHT NOW. Perhaps I'm being short-sighted, but I'd rather be short-sighted than accept the reality of indefinite rebuilding mode.

You know what bro....I logged in today hoping that you'd find this thread and respond..... :applause:

Good post!

You know what bro....I logged in today hoping that you'd find this thread and respond..... :applause:

Good post!

ok, i admitt it, "making me sick" was a bit harsh and over doing it. But i am not about to take my Dallas flag down or stop rooting for and/or showing my support for the cowboys, no matter what. I could care less how many games they lose. And part of the reason is for what you said, and i agree with you 100%....most Dallas fans outside of Texas are some of the most bandwagoners EVER.....those fans make me nuts and i hate them more then i hate Eagle fans! I know who they are and i know what their about. Its always the ones that talk the most and when you sit them down to talk to them, they dont have a clue whgo Dallas is and who even plays for them.

And yes, the skins have a very loyal following, but they also have a huge share of bandwagon fans....i see it every year that they are winning....they are hot right now too and if they went and lost 6 of their next 7 games, I would not have to run into as many.........its true, they will not be out in full force the way they are right now.....if the skins beat NE.....I wont be able to go outside without walking into a Skins fan wearing a big yellow and burgandy shirt on!

I know alot of people that don't really follow NFL games every week, but say they are a Redskins fan. When they are losing, they have a laisse-faire attitude about them, but once they start winning, then they do strut around. I see what you are saying. They're Redskins fans all the time, but only show it when we're winning.

ok, i admitt it, "making me sick" was a bit harsh and over doing it. But i am not about to take my Dallas flag down or stop rooting for and/or showing my support for the cowboys, no matter what. I could care less how many games they lose. And part of the reason is for what you said, and i agree with you 100%....most Dallas fans outside of Texas are some of the most bandwagoners EVER.....those fans make me nuts and i hate them more then i hate Eagle fans! I know who they are and i know what their about. Its always the ones that talk the most and when you sit them down to talk to them, they dont have a clue whgo Dallas is and who even plays for them.

And yes, the skins have a very loyal following, but they also have a huge share of bandwagon fans....i see it every year that they are winning....they are hot right now too and if they went and lost 6 of their next 7 games, I would not have to run into as many.........its true, they will not be out in full force the way they are right now.....if the skins beat NE.....I wont be able to go outside without walking into a Skins fan wearing a big yellow and burgandy shirt on!

I know alot of people that don't really follow NFL games every week, but say they are a Redskins fan. When they are losing, they have a laisse-faire attitude about them, but once they start winning, then they do strut around. I see what you are saying. They're Redskins fans all the time, but only show it when we're winning.

Well at least Buddy Ryan's teams had character and you were felt like they were giving it their all on every play. I honestly cannot say that for an Andy Reid coached team. Do you really want another 8 years of swing passes at the goalline?

Well at least Buddy Ryan's teams had character and you were felt like they were giving it their all on every play. I honestly cannot say that for an Andy Reid coached team. Do you really want another 8 years of swing passes at the goalline?

Due to travel soccer and my slight lack of desire to use a gorgeous Sunday afternoon to watch a field goal contest, I didn't see the game. The highlights showing Brian "the Castoff" Griese marching the Bears downfield was painful enough.

At some point in a coach's career, the players stop buying in to what the coach is preaching. Normally happens when a team is struggling - maybe that coupled with Reid's distractions and other issues are leading to the team's difficulties.

My thoughts on who is gone next year:

Kearse

Howard

Spikes

Tra Thomas

LJ Smith

Will James

Buckhalter

McNabb (maybe, although I doubt it)

Due to travel soccer and my slight lack of desire to use a gorgeous Sunday afternoon to watch a field goal contest, I didn't see the game. The highlights showing Brian "the Castoff" Griese marching the Bears downfield was painful enough.

At some point in a coach's career, the players stop buying in to what the coach is preaching. Normally happens when a team is struggling - maybe that coupled with Reid's distractions and other issues are leading to the team's difficulties.

My thoughts on who is gone next year:

Kearse

Howard

Spikes

Tra Thomas

LJ Smith

Will James

Buckhalter

McNabb (maybe, although I doubt it)

Not trying to pile on while you guys are down or anything, but I agree with this statement.

As to the rest... I think you guys are mostly overlooking the fact that Donovan McNabb is just not the same QB he's been in the past.

So many people overlook how important QB play is. And its always the little things. The scramble on 3rd and 7 that keeps the drive alive, the throws made to the receiver so YAC are possible, etc. These have been hallmarks of the Eagles, and they're just not there anymore.

The rest is just diversion. Trust me, if this was the Donovan from 2003, you guys would maybe have 1 loss right now.

Not trying to pile on while you guys are down or anything, but I agree with this statement.

As to the rest... I think you guys are mostly overlooking the fact that Donovan McNabb is just not the same QB he's been in the past.

So many people overlook how important QB play is. And its always the little things. The scramble on 3rd and 7 that keeps the drive alive, the throws made to the receiver so YAC are possible, etc. These have been hallmarks of the Eagles, and they're just not there anymore.

The rest is just diversion. Trust me, if this was the Donovan from 2003, you guys would maybe have 1 loss right now.

I think AR's team had character for the first 4-5 years and even second half of last year. If the team is not winning by at least 9 points in the fourth quarter, I have very little faith that they'll win a game now though. If McNabb plays for another 40 years he might get 1/10 the number of comeback wins that Elway had.

Could be worse. Rich Kotite could be here.

I think AR's team had character for the first 4-5 years and even second half of last year. If the team is not winning by at least 9 points in the fourth quarter, I have very little faith that they'll win a game now though. If McNabb plays for another 40 years he might get 1/10 the number of comeback wins that Elway had.

Could be worse. Rich Kotite could be here.

Unfortunately I remember the offenses Buddy used to field as well. They were worse.

These teams used to have character too, as much or more than Buddy's teams.

In 2000 we had no business winning football games. Charles Johnson, Torrance Small, Darnell Autry and Chad Lewis were our skill position players. Mike Mamula and Barry Gardner started on defense. We won games we didn't deserve with risky coaching (pickle juice, onsides kick against Pittsburgh, Koy Detmer's fake field goal over his shoulder, McNabb lined up as a receiver in Washington, etc.) and hard nosed defense. That team had a lot of character.

2001 and 2002 we were simply good teams. No question about it.

In 2003 we started 1-3 and won 7 straight games before winning the first seed. No Buddy Ryan coached team ever had the composure or moxy to do such a thing.

2004 is the greatest season of Philadelphia football since 1960.

Last year never should have happened, but it did. That team also had quite a bit of character.

I don't want to defend Reid here. He deserves all the hate we can muster right now. Really, I just despise the nostalgia driven, revisionist history that somehow paints Buddy Ryan as something other than what he was: a compelling loser. He was a con man, essentially, and 16 years later the city of Philadelphia is still hoodwinked.

Unfortunately I remember the offenses Buddy used to field as well. They were worse.

In 2000 we had no business winning football games. Charles Johnson, Torrance Small, Darnell Autry and Chad Lewis were our skill position players. Mike Mamula and Barry Gardner started on defense. We won games we didn't deserve with risky coaching (pickle juice, onsides kick against Pittsburgh, Koy Detmer's fake field goal over his shoulder, McNabb lined up as a receiver in Washington, etc.) and hard nosed defense. That team had a lot of character.

In 2003 we started 1-3 and won 7 straight games before winning the first seed. No Buddy Ryan coached team ever had the composure or moxy to do such a thing.

Last year never should have happened, but it did. That team also had quite a bit of character.

I don't want to defend Reid here. He deserves all the hate we can muster right now. Really, I just despise the nostalgia driven, revisionist history that somehow paints Buddy Ryan as something other than what he was: a compelling loser. He was a con man, essentially, and 16 years later the city of Philadelphia is still hoodwinked.

Quite true. The BIG question is, can McNabb return to preinjury form? He is only 30 and if work were done to get him help he could/should play another 4-6 years. They seem to be close with the defense, just WAY off scheme, philosophy and personnel-wise for the offense. AR would have to do a Gibbs move and hand over the reins/control of the offense. Hard to say THAT without laughing.

Quite true. The BIG question is, can McNabb return to preinjury form? He is only 30 and if work were done to get him help he could/should play another 4-6 years. They seem to be close with the defense, just WAY off scheme, philosophy and personnel-wise for the offense. AR would have to do a Gibbs move and hand over the reins/control of the offense. Hard to say THAT without laughing.

And to expand. I obviously would take Andy Reid's record over Buddy Ryan's ANY DAY. If there were a way to combine Reid's organization skills and Ryan's tenacity on the field that coach would be ****ing money.

Agreed to some extent. To be sure, if I never see Andy Reid's lifeless sideline stare into nothingness after something goes wrong it will be too soon. Drop your head or slam your fist or something. Christ.

And to expand. I obviously would take Andy Reid's record over Buddy Ryan's ANY DAY. If there were a way to combine Reid's organization skills and Ryan's tenacity on the field that coach would be ****ing money.

Agreed to some extent. To be sure, if I never see Andy Reid's lifeless sideline stare into nothingness after something goes wrong it will be too soon. Drop your head or slam your fist or something. Christ.

I don't know what to say about the offense. The only positive quality is Brian Westbrook. Absolutely everything else on that entire side of the ball is wrong.

I don't know what to say about the offense. The only positive quality is Brian Westbrook. Absolutely everything else on that entire side of the ball is wrong.

I think part of it for me is that, and I'm sure you can understand since we're in the same age bracket, my first games were while Buddy was coach. And I just absolutely loved our defense. Those were some of my greatest memories.

But I would not take Ryan over Reid anyday. Reid is the greatest since Greasy Neale. And Neale only gets a pass for winning 2 championships in the 40s.

My concern is that the team just simply isnt responding to Reid anymore. Maybe a change is good? I think Reid really needs to focus on his family right now and hisself. His weight has ballooned out of control. He looks awful in the post game press conferences.

I think part of it for me is that, and I'm sure you can understand since we're in the same age bracket, my first games were while Buddy was coach. And I just absolutely loved our defense. Those were some of my greatest memories.

But I would not take Ryan over Reid anyday. Reid is the greatest since Greasy Neale. And Neale only gets a pass for winning 2 championships in the 40s.

My concern is that the team just simply isnt responding to Reid anymore. Maybe a change is good? I think Reid really needs to focus on his family right now and hisself. His weight has ballooned out of control. He looks awful in the post game press conferences.

Archived